New Girl :P

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
DahnEEEE;1711059 said:
Anddddd the injectors/Lexus AFM is a priority for me right now..
the MAF sensor i have right now sucks. lol rough idle... and sometimes i stall without even doing anything. >;c
Might as well upgrade :D

Hey, Do what you gotta do. Far be it from me to talk someone OUT of modding their Supra but I gotta say The Lexus upgrade is a whole lot more than injectors and an AFM. AND will not necessarily help that rough idle. My advice is to figure out how these cars work, diagnose the rough idle yourself by researching and testing, would you bet your life that it's the MAF? I sure wouldn't.

The only reason I'm being serious on you is because there aren't a lot of girls and tons of people sell their Supras everyday due to reliability issues after modding their cars. They realize how difficult advanced tuning issues can be and have backed themselves into a corner where the only thing that MIGHT get the car to a degree of reliability is lots and lots of time and money. Only because they never bothered to take some time to learn any fundamentals. It would be sad to lose someone new on the site because of misinformation right out of the gate.

Am I completely out of line here? If so I apologize. Good Luck.

Ps. Also I wouldn't consider Modding an "Upgrade". Just a change of state. LOL

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
^ Agree.

With each upgrade comes another upgrade. Some the car will require to support the previous upgrade, some you will choose because they are addictive.

If this car is a daily drive, keep her stock. They are beautiful cars and are fun to drive, even bone stock. If you can afford the down time and cost go for it.

Beautiful car, by the way. My favorite color on a Supra.

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
LoL thank you for your advice. But don't worry... BF is a mechanic who does all the work for me :p
as far as the maf sensor issue.. i believe that's the cause of the rough idle.
when we put a new air filter on there my boyfriend used maf sensor cleaner, put it on and wouldnt go past like 3000 rpm
we read the back and it said "Do not use on Toyota Supra Turbos"
soooo we completely f---ed up the sensor. (we sent it to pep boys and they can't even repair it 230 to repair... guess i'm getting the refund)

There was a guy who was selling his sensor for 120 so we picked it up, put it on and it has a rough idle now.
I stall on the freeway sometimes too... its weird.. the car just turns off out of nowhere.
And it seems like i'm getting worse gas mileage.

So, are you saying that if i get 550cc injectors with a Lexus sensor that i might still have a rough idle?
Or if I just get like a used one it will do the same?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
DahnEEEE;1711093 said:
LoL thank you for your advice. But don't worry... BF is a mechanic who does all the work for me :p
as far as the maf sensor issue.. i believe that's the cause of the rough idle.
when we put a new air filter on there my boyfriend used maf sensor cleaner, put it on and wouldnt go past like 3000 rpm
we read the back and it said "Do not use on Toyota Supra Turbos"
soooo we completely f---ed up the sensor. (we sent it to pep boys and they can't even repair it 230 to repair... guess i'm getting the refund)

There was a guy who was selling his sensor for 120 so we picked it up, put it on and it has a rough idle now.
I stall on the freeway sometimes too... its weird.. the car just turns off out of nowhere.
And it seems like i'm getting worse gas mileage.

So, are you saying that if i get 550cc injectors with a Lexus sensor that i might still have a rough idle?
Or if I just get like a used one it will do the same?

I think we are collectively saying it might be wise to figure out what is the root cause of your current condition before using "upgrade" or "modified" parts to sort out your car. If you are already operating properly, then you can better mitigate risk when making incremental changes to the setup. If you are already in a "compromised" or somehow abnormal operational state, it is best to achieve as CLOSE to the TSRM STOCK condition as a baseline for anything/everything else that you eventually plan to do.

With the Supra, one step forward can often be half a dozen backward real quick. Your BF being a VERY GOOD mechanic may have LITTLE bearing on this fact. Yes, the Toyota Supra (particularly MKIII/7M) is a VERY peculiar beast! As rewarding as the cars can be... they have left a path of destruction in their wake, and the words of a few in here are heavily tainted with the experience of the masses.

That having been said, we ALL hope for the best experience for you, and further would LOVE to find that you DON'T experience ANY of the pitfalls of the rest of the Supra veterans!:biglaugh:

...just my thoughts...

-crisp

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
Thank you for your concern :]
but we know what it is.
instead of buying another sensor
we just wanna get 550cc injectors and a lexus sensor instead

then that problem will be fixed hehe.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
DahnEEEE;1710087 said:
the motor blew a head gasket and the previous owners put a metal head gasket on there.
we changed the valve cover gaskets. currently has over 125000 miles on it

First of all, welcome!! Second, don't make my mistake and take the owners word on that new headgasket. Do you best to confirm that this was done before you do the lex//550 mod.

Here's some good reading on the subject in case it hasn't been posted all ready:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?97699-Guide-Installing-Lexus-AFM-550s-and-AFPR
http://rob.carlile.home.mchsi.com/lexus/lexus1.htm
http://suprasonic.org/lexusriemer/lexusnotes.html

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
Hi and welcome to the site! :)

Usually when you do the lex/550's upgrade you keep your stock electronics, in your case the (bad?) MAF sensor. The only thing you switch is the AFM housing cause the lexus one is just a bit bigger. I could be wrong but I have never heard of anyone using the actual lexus (MAF)sensor in this mod. It says it somewhere in the Sonic notes too.

Just something worth mentioning.

Also if you have any places near you like pick a part pull a part, they sometimes get supras and you could walk in there and harvest a stock sensor for cheap.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
+2 on double checking the MHG.

The guy I bought mine from, was 60 years old...and the 2nd owner of the car...he put a mhg on after it blew...drove it maybe 100 miles before he sold it to me. I drove it half way home (800 mile drive) and it blew again...because his mechanic did not resurface the block. To make a long story short...I spent a lot of time and money because of his mistake.

Also, I used the stock maf sensor when I went lex afm/550's, so check into how you want to use the Lex afm. I was putting down about 350whp with my 50 trim turbo with this upgrade (with intake + intercooler + exhaust). Welcome, goodluck, do your research, and ask questions.

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
i definitely will do my research... siiigh if this whole thing isn't too complicated...
might as well just rebuild the maf sensor i have on my car instead.
hopefully that will be repairable. i just rather spend the extra money to make the car a little more buff. haha
(220 to repair the sensor @ pepboys)

as far as the head gasket....... thats gonna be a big job to check if its there.
on the description of the car when the dude was selling it he stated that it was on there.. so i'm gonna take his word for it
if its not... i have a copy of his post and i'm gonna sue is ass if it was never on there!!!! >:[

and a picture ..... of me?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The lex upgrade only replaces the housing... not the electronics. I'm not crazy am I? That's the idea, to JUST swap the housing and KEEP the stock electronics. The stock electronics are what you messed up. doing the 550/lex afm mod will only make your problem worse because now you'll have a slightly incorrect AFR because the ECU is being tricked without the proper piggyback to help keep things in line.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

To the OP: A used AFM in good shape should be cheap. As the others here have said, it's MUCH, MUCH better to get it running well as a perfectly stock car than to try to fix engine problems with upgrades. Start with the basics and work your way up. You should be able to sell the stock parts if you want to upgrade down the road.

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
I've never seen a maf sensor sold without the housing. As far as I know they always go together, housing with sensor. I've also heard from a mechanic that the Lexus maf with 550s works fine just as a plug and play without any other modifications but ill ask him again just to clarify. Hes done this to his '90 turbo running 19 psi with great success.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sensor is the same between the lexus and stock AFM (though it's a different part number). The housing is the real difference.

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
So, can j just take that black box off the Lexus and put it into the supra housing it would work?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk