New Girl :P

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Shouldn't be. Wait...just a quick question...did you remove or damage the honeycomb insert to the afm? When I originally swapped my afm...i forgot to put the honeycomb back in, and it ran like crap. Put the comb in...and all fixed...just an idea.

Rough idle or stall could be a number of things...is it throwing any codes? The check engine light one? Use the TSRM to trouble shoot.

DahnEEEE

Mar 31, 2011
Californiaaa
I've never had a problem or check engine light until I put that maf sensor on there (one I bought from some guy)

So I know that's the problem. Nothing more c:

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
DahnEEEE;1711516 said:
as far as the head gasket....... thats gonna be a big job to check if its there.
on the description of the car when the dude was selling it he stated that it was on there.. so i'm gonna take his word for it
if its not... i have a copy of his post and i'm gonna sue is ass if it was never on there!!!! >:[
Actually, no, it's not that tough to check. There are a couple spots where the gasket protrudes from between the block and the head, so you can see it without pulling the head off.

DahnEEEE;1711637 said:
I've never seen a maf sensor sold without the housing. As far as I know they always go together, housing with sensor. I've also heard from a mechanic that the Lexus maf with 550s works fine just as a plug and play without any other modifications but ill ask him again just to clarify. Hes done this to his '90 turbo running 19 psi with great success.
A few things.
  1. It's not a MAF sensor. That is a Mass Air Flow sensor, which is used on many cars - just not ours. It is an AFM, or Air Flow Meter, which relies on a karmen vortex signal to tell the engine how fast air is moving.
  2. The Lexus AFM and 550cc injector setup does work fine as a plug and play upgrade. The problem isn't from adding these parts as such, it's the fact that this gives you more headroom, and more headroom often creates the impression that you are safe to turn up the boost, and turning up the boost on a setup that is any less than 100% functional tends to pop engines, leading to extreme driver sadness and often depressing parts for sale threads.
  3. You can, however, as mentioned above, pull the actual electronics out of a Lexus housing and install them in the original housing if there are problems with your original electronics.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
pics of the lexus afm beside the stock one

87tafmcompare.jpg

compare_AFM%28highres%29.jpg