Nerves....

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
Any one else get very nervous about their cars? Almost like..."I know you will break, but when?"

I gave a friend a ride home from school today and for whatever reason, he felt inclined to open my glove box. Upon seeing the afr, aem doodads, boost gauge...he(not being car savvy at all, he drives an 04 accord, not ricer status) asked me what they were for.

I remained silent, taking very random turns, looking for a good city block of open road.

He asked me again "uh- Brent? What are these things, they look cool all star treky"

I reply- here, let me show you" and mash the throttle from second gear! He starts screaming, begging me to stop, so I did. But not by choice. I blow the intercooler hose off hahahahahah

Then later tonight my check engine light came on. Dunno what for. Could maybe be from running super duper rich? The car is running exactly the same as before it came on, that's what I find odd.

Also, I think my fear of the engine breaking or having massive failure may also be somewhat misplaced as it does have a nice metal head gasket, and arp's, new rod bearings....junk like that...I just am paranoid...

Do any of you ever feel the same???

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Some peopke are lije that. Some people feel that unless its new its going to break down. idk that is how they are.

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
Well...I wasn't nervous about my first gen celica, or my camry wagon, or my other supra's...the one that just blew made me crazy ass paranoid though...I think that is it...plus, since my bov goes to the atmosphere, sometimes after a blip on the throttle, or a good hard run, the car shut off and dies...wastegate should fix it, right?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Your blow off valve needs to be recirculated to the turbo let so the AFM doesn't see any unmetered air.. Thats why the car stalls after a hard pull or you let off the throttle quick

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
91blackeye;1659682 said:
...plus, since my bov goes to the atmosphere, sometimes after a blip on the throttle, or a good hard run, the car shut off and dies...wastegate should fix it, right?
No.
Devin LeBlanc;1659731 said:
Your blow off valve needs to be recirculated to the turbo let so the AFM doesn't see any unmetered air.. Thats why the car stalls after a hard pull or you let off the throttle quick
Kinda. Recirculate to the accordion intake hose so that you're not releasing metered air. Having an atmospherically vented BOV doesn't let unmetered air INTO the system, it lets metered air OUT, thus causing a rich condition, and often times stalling/backfiring, etc...

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
I get nervous when I'm doing something I havn't researched extensively...which is why I do my research before I install/modify a setup. For example...I'm installing Meth in the spring...but only after CajunKenny and others get theirs running well...so I can pirate their information/setup :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Nope, I don't worry about it. I put my 7M car together, and I'm confident it was done right - and furthermore, I'm confident that if it breaks, I can fix it again. My 2J car was put together by someone I trust, so I don't worry about that one either.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, it could blow at any time, just like any other car, new, old or indifferent. Just make sure you can trust the car and know your way around working on it a bit before you try to take any long trips in it...

Hell, I was about to take a 2000 mile road trip in my current car the day after we got it running. Changed my mind, but it would have made it just fine. :)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
You get nervous because you haven't got a clue what you're doing, and didn't personally install anything yourself.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Forgot to add- no, I'm never nervous because I extensively maintain every car I own and make it a habit to pick it apart piece by piece upon buying them. That way I know what I'm getting my self into. If it breaks, I fix/upgrade it so that part won't fail again- unless it's designed to.

My M3 is a perfect example.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
airplane-engine-fail.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I would routinely jump in my car on weekends and go for a 1000KM/620mile drive no matter the state of modification it was in, never worried about it breaking down and it only ever had to be towed home twice in the 13 years I owned it, once due to a connector on the ECU not being plugged in properly and the second time after I crashed/killed it.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
The only way you can really trust your car is if you get your hands dirty. when my camry was in the shop i had to go to work in my mk3 and its a two hour drive each day. I was surprised that nothing went wrong for the two weeks i was driving it.