My Coilover Concept

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
4U2QUIK;1426303 said:
filler metal????? Basically the outer sleeve is heated up and then placed on the strut. Then when it cools down it shrinks onto the strut tube.
and that shear ring concept still looks like a really bad idea.

the c clips on my bilsteins have held up to 2 years of track abuse with hypercoil springs. they are rather durable .

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bilstein has been doing it for years if not decades and they didn't get their name for being the most durable and long lasting for nothing...

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Iv been wanting to do this for at least a year but have never been able to get any reliable specs on the sleeve kits for other applications, Do you have a link to where you got them? Also those should be sized for 2.5" springs correct? That would be my choice, lots of options so you can perfectly balance the car.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
adampecush;1427754 said:
shear rings are still working well on my apex'i shocks (which I suspect to be re-badged bilstiens)

Hi mate,

Can I ask the reason you would suspect they may be bilstiens?

The reason I ask is that looking at the pictures in your build thread, I think I have the same ones. I would love to track down some specs / data on these dampers.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
DeSloth;1429734 said:
Hi mate,

Can I ask the reason you would suspect they may be bilstiens?

The reason I ask is that looking at the pictures in your build thread, I think I have the same ones. I would love to track down some specs / data on these dampers.

the shocks themselves appear quite similar to bilstiens, as do the aluminum spring seats. Also, as apex'i shocks aren't that common (and manufacturing a small run of shocks in-house is extremely unlikely), it is likely that they outsourced the manufacture to one of the larger shock makers.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I just emailed Tokico and asked them to change their design so they will accept sleeves.

Maybe they are not aware that it'll be greatly appreciated if they could do this.