My Coilover Concept

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
ummmm yeah... bilstein never made a tems strut. Obviously a typo by some corporate schmuck filling out forms. ;0

Supraholics;1420872 said:
Great idea!
Thanks

supra90turbo;1421096 said:
pff, for $30 I don't blame you for trying.
I'd love to have a machine shop at my disposal. I'd be doing shit like this all the time! lol

nice crocs btw :momaru:
$30 per strut, but still... it's very cost effective since I bought all 4 tok's plus an extra foe a test piece for $275.

lol i was wondering how long it would be before someone said something about the omg blue crocks.

Turbo Habanero;1421108 said:
There is a bilstein shock and strut that is a OEM replacement for Tems
ummmmm no...

funky_monkey58;1421110 said:
Giving me ideas that I like very much.

You're Welcome!

suprarx7nut;1421227 said:
Uhh.. ya. That would be a regular, non-TEMS Bilstein shock.

I'm almost positive Bilstein has never made a TEMS shock for the mkIII. Only TEMS shocks are TRD and Tokico, that I know of.

yep yep n yep.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So i took a stroll over to the auto parts store today...Started asking them about that shock/Strut they have a bilstien that says it is a replacement for the Electronic suspension for my car 87 Turbo with TEMS so unless there is some other electronic setup for are car then this is Bullshit???

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Turbo Habanero;1422727 said:
So i took a stroll over to the auto parts store today...Started asking them about that shock/Strut they have a bilstien that says it is a replacement for the Electronic suspension for my car 87 Turbo with TEMS so unless there is some other electronic setup for are car then this is Bullshit???

Pay attention, you must.
The only TEMS replacement struts available are Tokico Illumina II's and the TRD Struts.

Read people's posts, this has been corrected 3 times now in this thread.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
supra90turbo;1422731 said:
Pay attention, you must.
The only TEMS replacement struts available are Tokico Illumina II's and the TRD Struts.

Read people's posts, this has been corrected 3 times now in this thread.

Yes i know that's why i went to the store to ask much more in person i know what every one was saying it was not about that just wondering why The STORE has it in there system that they have one for Electronic and Reg. There site says the same.

It was not about paying attention or doubting that it does not exsist just showing you guys what i have seen around

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Turbo Habanero;1422735 said:
Yes i know that's why i went to the store to ask much more in person i know what every one was saying it was not about that just wondering why The STORE has it in there system that they have one for Electronic and Reg. There site says the same.

It was not about paying attention or doubting that it does not exsist just showing you guys what i have seen around

Different part numbers for TEMS and non-TEMS? Or one part number for both?

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Good work, very cool.

Would love to do something similar - and still might.

Question - why did you choose a spot weld over a groove with a snap (shear) ring?

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Turbo Habanero;1422739 said:
yea i was thinking a Vendor or some one looking to become one could make some money selling these.

I would pay for em if they were either cheaper then megan coilovers. especially if you can keep your tems!

im not too big on handling, only the ability to adjust (I dont think ill ever be hitting corners and 120mph anyways)

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
DeSloth;1423191 said:
Good work, very cool.

Would love to do something similar - and still might.

Question - why did you choose a spot weld over a groove with a snap (shear) ring?

where the heck would you put the groove.... bad idea.

sparkplug619;1423290 said:
I would pay for em if they were either cheaper then megan coilovers. especially if you can keep your tems!

im not too big on handling, only the ability to adjust (I dont think ill ever be hitting corners and 120mph anyways)

I might start doing these after I eliminate a couple of projects I have going.
And after a lot of road testing

Last edited:

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
4U2QUIK;1423883 said:
where the heck would you put the groove.... bad idea.

So long as the wall thickness of the damper body is sufficient (if you are welding to it, it should be!), anywhere you want... It's not a deep groove.

Many dampers use this setup to locate the spring perch including Bilstein, Koni and the apexi's I have on my car right now.

Your setup looks really good, but I just just wondered if you had considered any alternatives. Also, when you say 'sweating' - does this use a filler metal?

1903Bilsteins_Small.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
4U2QUIK;1426303 said:
filler metal????? Basically the outer sleeve is heated up and then placed on the strut. Then when it cools down it shrinks onto the strut tube.
and that shear ring concept still looks like a really bad idea.

"Sweating" is where you use bronze as a filler and it wicks into the joint, what you've done is heat shrunk the sleeves on ;)