My 1977 7M-GTE CELICA! Finished! Test drive vid on page 18!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Last night I welded up a new downpipe and recirculated the wastegate into it as well... I have been debating weather or not to recirculate it, but since it is such a small hotside I figured it would be super loud from a real low RPM, and that kind of gets rid of the sleeper effect.

For now I just put a 9.5psi spring in the W/G and am just going to run with that until I get my new clutch from my buddy, I don't want to make it any worse than it already is.

Pulled the plugs out so I could prime the oil system, and then buttoned it back up and fired it up!

After I get the new clutch put in and give it a little break in, then I think I am going to buy some 110octane and crank it up to 20 lbs and take it to the track and see what happens

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
speedfreak426;1839636 said:
After I get the new clutch put in and give it a little break in, then I think I am going to buy some 110octane and crank it up to 20 lbs and take it to the track and see what [strike]happens[/strike] breaks next...

Fixed that for you. ;)

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Haven't updated in a while... I uausally stop updating once I start driving it!

Pic from Kensington BBQ

p1849391_1.jpg

I have a new clutch, an ACT something or other, heavy duty 6 puck with a 3200lb pressure plate.... honestly it's going to be horrible on the street, but it'll hold 640+lb/ft of torque, so i'll deal with it

I haven't had any time to work on the car lately, I am currently in Japan... so I wont be able to get everything all fixed up for a while still, but the car is driveable and the new turbo on there is AMAZING. More than happy with it

Went to a Nolstagic car show in Nagoya, Japan today.... here is some inspiration for later...

p1849391_2.jpg

p1849391_3.jpg

p1849391_4.jpg

p1849391_5.jpg

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
That is Awesome, and he's got your paint too!! lol

What a cool project. This is the first I've seen this thread, I can't believe I missed it for so long.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'd be careful with a pressure plate with a rating that high. Good for torque, but not so good for anything else... I've heard all sorts of bad things happening to bottom ends due to a PP that high.

I know you don't want to hear this, but if you're putting out that kind of power, I'd say it's time to start looking into a twin disc (triple possibly), or an auto if you only intend to use it as a drag car from here on out.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Time for update, I have been doing a lot of traveling lately...

I drove the car for a while and enjoyed it til I finally found some motivation to pull the trans out to swap the clutch out. It's not exactly easy to get the trans out of the tiny little tunnel that it is in..

I ran into a few issues.
I have about 4000 miles on this clutch/flywheel combo since I built the car

Disc is toast

p1865132_1.jpg

I saw a bunch of cracks in the flywheel

p1865132_2.jpg

Splines on the axle shafts are twisted.... oops
No pic, but I'll take one when I pull them back out

I thought I would still try to have the flywheel machined to see if the cracks were just on the surface
They were not :/
p1865132_3.jpg

And since I haven't posted it, here is the the downpipe that I made myself

p1865132_4.jpg

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I had a hell of a time finding a OEM flywheel.... Dealers said "Not available in North America" No good.

I found a ton of lightweight flywheels for cheap, but I didn't want anything to do with those.

Eventually Aaron @ Driftmotion hooked me up with a used and already machined one

p1865135_1.jpg

Purchased a bunch of new bolts, studs, dowels, to hold everythign together. Also new ARP flywheel bolts becasue my old ones I messed up getting them out (not pictured)

p1865135_2.jpg

Since I have been traveling a lot lately, I had a little bit of extra money, so I bought some new Moser drag axles so i could replace them before they broke :D
They are amazing
p1865135_3.jpg

p1865135_4.jpg

Will be getting everything all put back together within the next week.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Here is the clutch pic. Got it all installed last night. Wow stiff pedal!
Works awesome so far, very happy with it. Just need to work on my leg muscles a bit!
I am really not too worried about the thrust bearing, I never push in the clutch on startup, and never hold it down at lights.

p1866151_1.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Always like shiny new stuff...

As for the flywheel, double check the JZ Swap for Dummies thread (not saying you're a dummy, just a lot of good info in there), IIRC, you can use the 2j flywheel with the R154. Could be wrong though, so check my math.

Curious why you don't want anything to do with a lightweight flywheel. Mind my asking why?

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Of course I don't mind! haha

Well, All of my drivetrain components, especially wheels and rear axle are extremely heavy. The purpose of the flywheel is to store energy and for the inertia(which is stored energy in itself)

Say I am at the drag strip on the line, Holding antilag getting ready to launch... what happens when I release the new grabby clutch. With a lightweight flywheel it is most likely that the engine will bog and possibly stall becasue there are so many other heavy heavy components that are trying to stop it from moving. With a heavy flywheel, I have that little extra oomph getting everything twisting, and all of that stored inertia will be ready to rip the pavement apart instead of being slowed down by not having enough weight spinning when I release that clutch pedal.

Also...
I am running MS2, and it idles great right now. A heavy flwyheel really keeps the engine going if there is a stumble. With a lightweight one, it is much more likely to stall.

one more...
Driving in traffic with a grabby clutch and lightweight flywheel = a. having to rev the shit out of it to keep it from dying when the clutch is about to grab or B. It just stalls.

In my opinion, I think lightweight flywheels are only meant for roadracing when you need extremely quick revs and don't need the inertia from the start line. Other than that, i think they never belong in a "Street" car or drag car

Oh, and I think theJZ flywheel has a different bolt pattern at the crank.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Brad, I'm running a Fidanza with the exact clutch he has and the chatter is amazingly horrible. Not sure if that's his reasoning, I just thought I'd throw that out there. :) Plus, there's the welding possibility...

...I just love it when a post comes in when I'm typing... :biglaugh:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I can see that I suppose. I have a stock 1j flywheel (versus the lightweight alternative) and it is easy enough to drive. Not quite as rev happy as I would like it to be, but I'm not disappointed at all. I think I'll probably get a lightweight flywheel for my setup when I get the new clutch someday down the road. I'm sure the chattering and issues mentioned are less pronounced when you have more than one disc in the clutch setup. :)

Oh, and I apologize, for some dumb reason, I thought you had a JZ, I was thinking about the 1j/2j flywheel being interchangeable. Definitely not with a 7m though! :p However, I find it really hard to believe that you can't find an OEM 7m flywheel. They were used in pretty much anything with an M engine and manual transmission were they not?

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I did a LOT of V8 Killing over the weekend after the "Woodward Dream Cruise"
I got about 15 ish races in, all pretty quick cars, including... Z06 Vettes, Modded new M3, X5M, Fox body stangs, an AMC Rebel, and my buddys modded Grand National running 20psi and E85.

Here is the list of cars I lost to:

:woot:

Still the ultimate sleeper out there, nobody had any idea what was coming, the car is quiet, and all you can hear is that big Holset spooling up....when it's already too late! Goodbyeeeeeeee

Also, Friday night I met up with a member from here
Meeting up with Halik with his 1977 1UZ powered Celica

p1867725_1.jpg

p1867725_2.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
speedfreak426;1867725 said:
I did a LOT of V8 Killing over the weekend after the "Woodward Dream Cruise"
I got about 15 ish races in, all pretty quick cars, including... Z06 Vettes, Modded new M3, X5M, Fox body stangs, an AMC Rebel, and my buddys modded Grand National running 20psi and E85.

Here is the list of cars I lost to:
At first, I thought your "list" was missing or something... then I got the joke. Good weekend, and happy hunting! :p

Not gonna lie, your car is sweet, but your buddy's car... damn that thing is sexy. Normally I prefer the liftback too! Question is though, how quick is his car? I can imagine 250+ hp is a lot of motivation for a 2200ish pound car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Kinda hard to tell, did that Mustang actually keep up with you? I fully expected you to leave him in the dust, even if you did leave a bit later...