My 1977 7M-GTE CELICA! Finished! Test drive vid on page 18!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Thanks guys!

Getting closer and closer every day

I do need to remove the front bumper and modify the mounts. They interfere with the intercooler pipe elbows, so I will have to cut them and make some space. Rare mounts.... but I don't want to go through the trouble of selling them and making new ones.

Pic from under bumper looking at black bumper mount and blue elbow

from the top. I had to remove the pipe just to get the mount in.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
p2022002_1.jpg

Maiden Voyage last night. I forgot how squirmy the suspension on this things was! Sure is fun though

Too bad rain is forcasted most of the week! I am ready to bring it out.

p2022002_2.jpg

I have a stripe to put on the side, but I found that 2 pieces of it are missing. I took the pieces that I needed duplicated up to "Kevo Dafro" on here at W4 signs and he is helping me out. Thanks Kevin! As soon as I can get those pieces the exterior of the car will be complete for this year (still need to finish the front above the front bumper, but I'll do it over the winter. Going to just leave it open for now.)

Preview of stripe, I think the red and black look great on the white.
p2022002_3.jpg

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Here are a few more pictures of the car mostly finished (except for 3 pieces of stainless that I have been avoiding restoring)

I received the rest of my duplicated stripe from W4 signs, and they are a perfect match and look great.

Let me know what you think!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I have put about 700 miles on it so far. I have gotten tons of compliments on the paint, nobody can believe that it is a garage job. Its a pretty good feeling to know that all that hard work paid off

I have discovered a couple major issues with the car though.
Leaky head gasket I believe, not a big deal really, but annoying because I don't want to take it apart.

Also... The rear differential housing is cracked, in several places! I thought it was the gasket that was leaking again, but it actual big cracks in the housing! I guess that all of my... Beating on it constantly, with a stiff clutch, drag radials, antilag launches, and no lift shifting had taken quite a toll on the big 8 3/4" Mopar axle. It never crossed my mind that the housing itself could be a weak point with a little inline 6 with less than 450hp in a light car, but I guess I was wrong.
I'm not really sure what to do with it from this point. I have a few choices.
- I can pull it, clean it the best I can, and try to just weld up the cracks, and toss it back it to deal with it later down the road.
- Pull it, send it out somewhere, have them fix the cracks, narrow it like I've been wanting to do, weld a back brace on it, and true the whole setup. This would probably be the most expensive, but a permanant fix. Oh, and I'd be forced to buy new wheels and tires as well.
-buy another housing, preferably already narrowed. I'm not sure how difficult this would be to find though. And I'd have to fab up new 4 link brackets
-Swap to another axle completely, like a ford 9" or something. This would involve the most work, Including fabbing new brackets. Also, I put a Truetrac diff in my 8.75, it was expensive, but its absolutely incredible, and I don't want to deal with selling it and buying another.

So, that's a lot of options, but tough to choose.
I'm really not sure how much work I want to put into it this winter. Working on it every day for the last 2 years in a row has really worn me down.

That said... I have even more work I had planned to do before I found out about the axle and engine issues.
- Swap in a rack and pinion. Tons of work, most likely involving modifying the engine oil sump for clearance.
-Lower the car front and rear. This would require a new wheel and tire setup, and cutting and redoing the exhaust since it hangs low in the front, and would be too big to stay over the axle in the rear.
-Figure out some coilovers and larger brakes for the front. Don't forget, even with all the power this car has, and running 123ish mph trap speeds,.... It still has the original 77 Celica non vented single piston 9" front brakes. Scary from speed.
- I also have a rear sway bar to add, I already upgraded the front a few weeks ago. Brackets and mounts need to be fabbed for that.

In the end, I'd like to make this car handle a bit better. I'd love to do an autocross event or something, even though I wouldn't be competitive. Really worried about what how much smoking a few cones would do to my paint though!

Sorry for such a long post, just really looking for some input on which direction to go.

I do still plan on going g to the exceed fall BBQ with this as long as it is not raining, I still drive it even with the cracked housing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just wanted to pop in and say wow... for a home garage built car sir, you should be very happy with the result, and your skills acquired in building this. I actually came across a 77 Celica with an NA 7m halfway swapped in, relatively close, for cheap. I already have too many projects or I would have picked that up for sure...

Good luck sorting out all the recently developed gremlins though.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Thanks TE72!!
I'll figure something out

I finally caved and got a custom vanity plate "TOYYOTA"

Local Fall car meet

A friend of mine, Sarah, took some rolling shots for me at the end of the season...

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good company you keep at that car show man, representing the old with the new. Add a 2000GT and maybe an R32-34, toss in an S2000 for fun, and you have quite the good spectrum.

You know... I think I need to figure out how to make a similar picture happen. Probably not gonna happen around here, but I really like the idea. :)

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Thanks!

I finally picked up some brakes for it.

Drilled and slotted Mini Cooper rotors, custom brackets, and 4 piston aluminum RX-7 Calipers.

Was way less than I expected to spend. Was planning 1100 on the T3 kit, but I got these, with hubs and extended studs for 350. WIN, and a huge upgrade.

I will probably have to find a new and larger master cyl to make these operate properly though

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
As you may have read previously, I had some issues with my rear axle. after weighing my options, I figured that it would be best to fix what I have, and to get it narrowed like I should have a long time ago. I cleaned the housing for a few hours, ground material out of the cracks, and then welded up all the cracks that I could find. I am confident that it will be fine with the new tire setup. After I fixed it, then I took it to DTS to have it narrowed, trued, and to get some new axles, In 4 lug. In total, I had the housing shortened by 5". Should make quite a difference!

:|

My old rear drum brakes had seen better days, and were never really set up correctly in the first place. Now was as good a time as any to final upgrade to something with a little more stopping power. These are Toyota Cressida Drilled and slotted rotors, with a Mustang Cobra Caliper. Should work nicely!!

The Celica came from the factory with single piston brakes up front, and small drums in the rear. Now that I had a total of 10 pistons that needed to be filled when I wanted to stop, I needed to upgrade the small Master Cyl. The Celica Master is 13/16" and the MKIII Supra is 1". That seems like it will be enough! I got my digital caliper out and measured the mounting points, and the depth of the hole for the push rod. It is IDENTICAL, thanks Toyota! :lol: I was going to use the Supra booster as well, but I didn't really see a need for it at the moment. I can always upgrade it in the future.

I have known about some issues with the engine for a while now, typical 7M issues haha. It pushes air out of the cap after beating on it, so I am just assuming that the headgasket had a bad seal. Pretty safe assumption with this engine. I mean, it sucks and all, but I have already dumped too much money into it over this past winter to really be able to fix it properly. I just pulled the valve covers since they were leaking pretty bad anyways, and retorqued all of the headbolts, which I never did again after initial engine assembly, years ago. That can reall only be a Band-Aid for a larger problem, but it is all I can do for now. It still runs fine, doesn't smoke or use or mix coolant, so I will just run it for this season, and pull the engine next winter for a proper fix, since I have the feeling that the block is pitted and will be need to be decked a bit more, or even replaced.

I painted the valve covers silver about 5-6 years ago, so I refreshed them while I had them off. I used VHT Wrinkle black, they came out great!

Also, I finally bought that turbo blanket that people have been suggesting for a while. To hide the ugly rusty turbine housing in an otherwise nice engine bay. Looks good!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
This is the third and final update for today.
Some friends dropped by to help me bleed the brakes a few days ago, just so happened to be a nice day, so I figured, why not take it out for a little cruise! The exhaust is basically dragging on the ground, and is just an open downpipe, but I didn't really care, I was excited to test out the new stuff! It was REALLY loud, so I need to make a whole new exhaust ASAP. Also still need to install my rear swaybar, and possibly some 15mm spacers on each side in the rear. Could also use an alignment :lol:
I am very pleased with how it tuned out! It's a beauty!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Glad to see some forward progress. I would think all that new stopping power should make those 120+ trap speeds a little less scary after crossing the beams, yes?

Also, I'd just like to point out that yours is easily in my top 5 favorite cars on SM. Makes me happy every time I see it, even the little updates. :)

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Thanks! It definitely stops a lot better now!

I've been enjoying the car quite a bit this year. It's not normal for me to have it out so early because I always end up just working on it all summer!
Here are some pics from the MSU car show.

This one is my favorite! I have it framed on my wall now!