My 1977 7M-GTE CELICA! Finished! Test drive vid on page 18!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I don't know what he had done to it exactly... He ran like 11.something. I caught up but never passed him, I was holding right with him at the end and couldnt gain much more. Impressive!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
So my eyes did not deceive me. That is a quick ass Mustang then! Don't see too many of them that fresh that are that fast...

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I have been having fun with the car and have not had time to update.

I have had a few minor issues, mostly with 35 year old electrical connections! This only put the car down for a few days while I worked out a solution.
I did not have my headlight/marker light relay mounted properly, and it was upside down in the engine bay. This caused it to get water stuck inside of it, which lead to it completely falling apart inside. The contact points eroded away and the metal one was on had completely fallen off and rotted.
I could not find a factory relay anywhere, and since there were two sepreate relays inside, I figured I would try to find an OEM replacement. Well, No dice.
I gave up shortly, and since I am handy with wiring things, I just grabbed a few relays, and a connector that was similar to the harness, and just repinned it to match what it needed to do.
Here is what I ended up with, works great.
p1877536_1.jpg

p1877536_2.jpg

Changed out my axles for the 8.75" rear axle, since I had bent the splines a little on the old ones.
p1877536_3.jpg

Finished most of the interior and recovered my headliner, turned out great, but I still need to redo the center console
p1877536_4.jpg

I went out to the Woodward Dream Cruise and someone(SSYELLOW) had taken a great pic of it!
p1877536_5.jpg

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Thanks! It is just a 3" from the turbo back to a 3" Magnaflow turbo muffler.

Last weekend I went out with a few friends to the "Gumball Block Party 2" in Detroit, in front of the abandoned train depot. Had a great time, cars drifting around and people doing random burnouts and donughts.

I thought I would join in on the fun, didn't get too crazy since I was on my Drag Radials, and they do not like to go sideways... Still ended up with some awesome pictures

*I did not take these pictures, I am just posting them here

p1878060_1.jpg

p1878060_2.jpg

p1878060_3.jpg

p1878060_4.jpg

p1878060_5.jpg

p1878060_6.jpg

Dem768's Miata with me
p1878060_7.jpg

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
speedfreak426;1878060 said:
I thought I would join in on the fun, didn't get too crazy since I was on my Drag Radials, and they do not like to go sideways...

*I did not take these pictures, I am just posting them here
Just add water and the DR's will like to go sideways. ;)

Oh, and I would think that it goes without saying you didn't take those pictures. Who would be driving? :p

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Well, decided to tear it apart again!

Before going in the garage
p1885994_1.jpg

p1885994_2.jpg

Repair time
p1885994_3.jpg

Driver door
p1885994_4.jpg

p1885994_5.jpg

p1885994_6.jpg

Also have a lot of other plans for this winter, but I just need to try to keep the motivation level up

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looks like you and I have a bit in common lately.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...eet-quot-Betty-quot-...&p=1885197#post1885197

If you're running that grinder for extended periods of time, might I suggest hearing protection of some sort? Couple minutes probably won't hurt ya, but when you're exposed to it for hours at a time like I've been these past few days, it would make you hate life without ear plugs.

So what else is on the table for the car this winter?

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Thanks man!
I am really worried about ever getting this done in time to drive it this year. I have so much work to do... I am not great at bodywork, and yet, I am stil attempting to do it myself. It's going to take a LOT of time...

I decided that the very front would look better in something other than white. I think it will make it look better in the long run if I make it less... white?
p1896689_1.jpg

Finally fabbed up some brackets to mount my radiator properly! It's going to be secure and work great. Also moving the radiator back about an inch or so while doing this..
p1896689_2.jpg

Made some more clearance for the intercooler pipes and got it painted black
p1896689_3.jpg

Perfect, holds it upright and secure by just the bottom so far even. Also rubber insulated
p1896689_4.jpg

Since I moved the radiator back, I am going to have to modify the radiator inlet, it's literally an inch away, and pointing right to the alternator pulley.
Talk about a tight fit...
p1896689_5.jpg

I have also been spending a considerable amount of time restoring all these small parts. Only half of the stuff is done so far. Old on the Left and bottom, New and refreshed on the Right side
p1896689_6.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looking good man. Question though, why move the radiator? I know why I would do what you did (weight distribution for better handling), but your car seems to be a pretty dedicated drag car...

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Not really a dedicated drag car at all, it's just a very fun street *blow your doors off* toy.
Most of my videos just happen to be from the drag strip, becasue well, thats really the only time I have anyone recording me that I want to post online haha.

Basically it's just for looks

My reason for moving the radiator back is so I can also move the intercooler back some in order to try to make enough room so I can fit the OEM front valance back on. I have the orig. piece, but I just left it off becasue I did not want to cut it up in order to make it fit... I wouldn't be able to find a replacement in case plans changed, so I had just opted to leave it off. I may still have to cut off a mounting bracket, but I am going to try not to butcher the whole damn thing like I would have had to do with the radiator and intercooler up so far.

I'll post up some pics with what I am talking about

Well, here is the (last few years) state of the front end.
p1896888_1.jpg

Here is what the OEM valance looks like, this is the piece I have in good condition, I am not sure how the intercooler will fit behind it yet.
p1896888_2.jpg

Or another option, I can buy a front spoiler like this one, and direct airflow a little bit, and I wouldn't mind cutting into it a little bit. But this way will cost me more $$, and i have already put too much money into this thing.
p1896888_3.jpg

I do have a suprise coming in the mail in the next couple weeks, it will make this car look 100x better! Quite the early christmas present to myself :D
I'll keep it a secret til they show up.
Another thing I also bought in order to move the radiator back, is an ATI crank damper. I needed the shorter pulley without the AC belt farthest forward, becasue it interefers with my fan. Never knew it would cost so much just for an extra inch :lol:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I see what you mean man. And yeah, that extra inch costs a lot, but it's probably cheaper (and less painful) than surgery. :p

My vote would be for a front splitter/spoiler. Something about them just looks badass on classic sporty cars.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Very interesting read. You had just the right amount of pictures to keep my attention..................oh look, a butterfly.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Here is a what I have been doing.

I cut out some rust and replaced.... no pieces are available for this car, so I have had to make every piece by hand from sheetmetal.
Lot of work went into it.

In front of rear wheel

Before
p1916862_1.jpg

after
p1916862_2.jpg

p1916862_3.jpg

Behind rear wheel

before
p1916862_4.jpg

after
p1916862_5.jpg

front fender... no before or after pic, just mid progress, but its finished now
p1916862_6.jpg

I have finally made brackets for the intercooler, grille, oil cooler, and front end parts. All with one bracket.
I also moved the radiator and intercooler back a bit so I can have more room for my new front lip

p1916862_7.jpg

p1916862_8.jpg

p1916862_9.jpg

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I have not updated this thread in quite a while, so I feel like I am a bit overdue.
I have had a lot of things happen over the last 2 years of missed updates, but it’s mostly been pretty boring, so I haven’t really wanted to share. I am getting closer to my end goal of it being white, so I will bring everyone up to speed with my slow progress.

On the left you can see the huge hole where the “impact absorbing shocks” mounted into the frame
These were for the huge bumpers, but since I now have smilies, I eliminated them, as on the right side of the pic.

The piece I made to cover the holes

Lip that holds the hatch seal was rotted out

I took some strips of steel and used a break to make new pieces, turned out great.

Moving on to the drivers side quarter panel behind the rear wheel, this was the worst rust on the car.

I just cut it all out, it ended up being 4 separate pieces I had to make.