My 1977 7M-GTE CELICA! Finished! Test drive vid on page 18!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Yes there is always someone faster!

I got beat for the first time ever today.... By my friends Miata :lol:

not by much, but he got me! I was spinning and catching up, but only could beat him if I got a longer run. Beat him once, but it was still an awesome race!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Your friend's Miata? Now normally I'm all for fast Miatas, or at least Miatas being driven fast, but I haven't seen too many 11 second Miatas in my time... Setup on that car?

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Got bored last night and ripped the car apart again. Clutch started slipping too.... need a new clutch :(

I can't afford to put any more money into this thing!

Luckily I already had all the stuff for turbo install laying around!

p1832513_1.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
speedfreak426;1832513 said:
I can't afford to put any more money into this thing!
So... sell it to me. I've got a cool grand with your name on it... :rofl:

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Been working on the car quite a bit more than uasual. Trying to work on it as much as I can while the weather is still iffy.

The Holset is a T3 downgrading and my new manifold is a T4 flange, and I didn't like any of the adaptors out in EBay land, so I just decided to make my own so I could fit the bigger turbocharger more easily.
Here is how it turned out, after a few hours of work. It was pretty tough to make because I rotated the housing away from the head, and angled it towards the headlight a little bit so I could make up a new intake pipe. My old intake pipe will simply not fit, the turbo is in the way, so I will just have to get creative with a new one. A front facing intake manifold would really help here... But I don't have that kind of $$ right now. I would rather just make one myself, but the TIG welded that I have acccess to is only good for welding steel.

This is pretty much my first time doing any real TIG welding, but I think it turned out pretty damn good for not knowing what I'm doing! Pretty excited about that haha

p1834558_1.jpg

p1834558_2.jpg

Now I could finally set the Holset on there properly so I could get a few other things mocked up.
Here is my idea for the intake pipe as well, it will have to he heat wrapped like the last one since it is right over the exhaust.
p1834558_3.jpg

p1834558_4.jpg

Up next:
Make turbo oil drain line
Fab new downpipe
Weld intercooler pipes

Change oil cooler system and add remote filter adaptor.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Not the turbo exhaust, but the manifold really... I think it will heat soak pretty bad sitting right there.
I was worried about using a turbo blanket, since it's only oil cooled, I don't want to trap too much heat in there, since my downpipe will be wwrapped as well.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Routing of the IC piping looks quite similar to Tyler's car... I forget his screen name on here, but it's a pretty well sorted car. Is coating the pipes an option?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
meh it will be fine the way it is

if you are worrie about heat just tack on some nuts to the charge pipe then weld on sheet of steel or half cut pipe to the nuts thus maken a air gapper heat sheild

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Make something similar to the stock heat shields... not sure what exactly that material is, but it does a damned good job, pretty similar to what Nash said.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Just a few things left to do before it's ready for the road again...

Oil filter relocation and thermostatic cooler is pretty much done, currently making a new downpipe. New intercooler pipes are now all welded up, just have to button everything up!

p1838834_1.jpg

p1838834_2.jpg