Mounting FMIC

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
MA70_Powa;1087129 said:
well I just saw mine mounted up last night finally and it fits perfect without any cutting required.. I'll take a pic once I get my car going (should be by sunday :D)

BTW I painted my FMIC black too but just used some brake caliper paint... seems fine to me :)

not to sure if the brake caliper paint was a good idea, i have heard only to use a paint made for a radiator so it does not decrease the intercoolers efficiency

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
well from what Ive read up on various websites and forums the drop in cooling efficiency is very minor - worst case scenario I'll strip the paint off :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Got Boost?;1087180 said:
Let me know how that works out, because I've been thinking about powdercoating or painting my IC black, but didn't know what method to use.

Ian, Jake, sethron - Is it necessary to cut the support bar to mount an IC of that size? Mine's nearly the same dimension but it's 1" thinner. 24"x12"x3"

Starscream - Is your drawing supposed to be a view of the IC head-on or is it a side view? Is "space" the actual core or is it space space?

A 3" will go in without cutting but a good 5" of it will be blocked.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Got Boost?;1087180 said:
Starscream - Is your drawing supposed to be a view of the IC head-on or is it a side view? Is "space" the actual core or is it space space?

It's just the shape of the bracket I used, the IC sits right in front of where the AC condensor used to be on my car and right behind the crash support brace, which will have the center of it cut out and re-welded again so air will flow THROUGH it and into the top part of my IC.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
sm_photo_missing.jpg

i used 2 L 90dge brackets welded them to the top of the rebar and for the bottom just for a rod to hold it up works great, but you dont see the top of the IC since its covered by the rebar. IC 24x12x3

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
IJ.;1087248 said:
A 3" will go in without cutting but a good 5" of it will be blocked.

Ooh ok. And if I'm not mistaken, that's about the general area where the Turbo A duct would be, correct?

starscream5000;1087358 said:
It's just the shape of the bracket I used, the IC sits right in front of where the AC condensor used to be on my car and right behind the crash support brace, which will have the center of it cut out and re-welded again so air will flow THROUGH it and into the top part of my IC.

Right. So the S-shaped bracket, sorta mounts like so?

(front view)
-- --
|____________|
|_intercooler__|

They are bolted down to the top little mounts on the core then out to the stock locations?

arizzle;1087530 said:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

i used 2 L 90dge brackets welded them to the top of the rebar and for the bottom just for a rod to hold it up works great, but you dont see the top of the IC since its covered by the rebar. IC 24x12x3

Do you have bigger pics of that one and other angles? Kinda hard to tell when the pic's a little small.

So the brackets that everyone's using, are they aluminum pieces/strips that you can find at a typical hardware store or what? A friend mentioned running to Home Depot to grab some strips of aluminum and bending those to fit, but I'm not sure how strong that would be to be able to hold up the IC just in case something happens.

Jake - Did you have to drill holes into the rails to mount the IC?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Alex, yes, for the 4" I had to notch the bracket... I see some people remove it, and thats dumb... Simple grinder with a cutting wheel and remove a triangle section and your good to go... I can get pics if needed... Good luck...

Jake

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
well, I finally got my IC mounted using 90* L-shaped door brackets from Home Depot. It's sitting at an angle much like how the stock one was, but in doing so, we realized that the tow hooks would be in the way of the intercooler pipes and removed them.

So....tow hooks, do you guys still have'em? Either still stock or an alternative form. I have a feeling that I may need them in the future, so I'd like to know what you guys did.

wchico15

BoOoSt
Jul 18, 2007
Florida
awesome thread. any spearco replica mounting pics? i kno its a direct stock replacement but im originally N/A so kno prior knowledge.