mkiii supra in turbo magazine!!!!

batttz

English Lurker
Aug 28, 2007
Hampshire
starscream5000 said:
Which is easier to make power on? A straight exhaust or one with bends in it to make it to a corner of the car?

Ever think that 571 is what the owner of the car is happy with?

This bashing of the exhaust confuses me as the guy should be congratulated for putting out +500 HP. Sure it's not a lot, but exactly how many on this site are putting down more than that on the 7M?? I know I'm not ;).

I know this car and that 571 is without the boost being turned up to anywhere close to its potential, It could get close to 900 I would say

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Just because the turbo is a "MasterPower" unit and not another maker does not indicate it's a POS. MasterPower makes turbos for many vehicles around the world, and is very similar to Garrett in many ways except price.

Think about this. If you buy a Tarus pistol, it is just as accurate as the Beretta that costs 2x as much... (I know, I own one.)

Same goes for the MasterPower turbo. I have the T-70 version, and it's quality is every bit as nice as the ITS unit I had before, and Garrett units I've looked at as well. Only it was less than a grand...

Reading up on this car, the HP claim is totally within reason based on what this owner has done to the car. The fuel system is capable of much more actually. (850 to 900 should be possible on this car, without the funny gas... and more if sprayed..)
He has the stuff needed to get there.
Standalone.
Fuel
Turbo
Engine mechanicals to handle it.

Why the drama over his straight out exhaust? If you do not like it, build a faster car so you can't see it anymore..

Untill then, I'd be surprised that all you would see is that exhaust getting smaller and smaller in front of you in a race :)

PS: The only thing I'd reccomend to this owner is getting some real brakes. Even uprated stockers can't hold up to the speed that engine can dish out. Seriously, it's a safety thing at this level of power. The car can go much faster than the stock brakes can effectively slow it down from more than once or twice at most in the same general period of time. (Stock fades away, and becomes worthless, even with good pads, and fresh fluid, there is just not enough mass in the rotor, or enough cooling surface either.)

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
gilberjj said:
most likely that 571 bhp is REALLY 571 rwhp. The british call wheel hp brake horsepower, it doesn't make sense, but they seem to think it does.

The UK measure hp as "flywheel hp". (I have a good friend that wrote the article and he is from the UK.) My car was measure BHP in Japanese Pefrmance mag and was 665 RWHP ;) RWHP is wheel and BHP is fywheel.

Nice to see another MKIII in a mag!! 7M repping yet again!!!! :)

Duane

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
I think this exhaust thing is being taken way out of context here. No one is outright "bashing" on the car. A few owners and myself just questioned the routing of the exhaust, thats all.

IMHO, with that 571 whatever-you-want-to-call-it horsepower if he launches that thing hard his exhaust is coming off anyway.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Nice to see another mk3 supra made it to a mag! Exhaust is different but who cares as long as it is functional. I bet changing the diff fluid could get messy lol. That engine bay is sick...

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
i made 420rwhp on my master power turbo @ 16psi pump fuel. This was with a stock head 550cc, vpc afc, and 3" ex. The master power gt45 is a very similar turbo with a slightly smaller compressor wheel measuring at 68.9mm teamed up with a (s) "trum" turbine wheel with a 1.05ar ex housing. With all his mods fuel, and stand alone i would think it capable of 571 on 1 bar,

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I agree...So many people find it so easy to put others down instead of congratulating them. Jealous people tend to do that alot. :icon_bigg

Cheers,
Roy

suprastanger507mgte said:
Good job on being featured in a magazine. That does wonders for the rest of us. Who cares how the exhaust looks, or what not. It was at least good ebnough to be featured in a magazine that reaches the masses. How many of you can get that much coverage for your car???? Not many.

Its also a positive as it gives our own Supras a better value and recognition.
Instead of telling the guy his exhaust looks like your buttthole, maybe some of you should congratulate him...and thank him...
We are all MKIII enthusiast...why the negativity towards someones good looking car???

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Neat car, neat exhaust i think...Looks a hell of a lot better than the people who put ugly ass body kits on their mk3s and think its hott.. At least his car was featured in a magazine..and yours wasnt.

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Awesome that the MKIII is representin' man. Awesome work, I know that car had to take a feild of money trees to get it that far. I'm actually thinking of going for the same goal... getting featured in a mag. Just as a nice CLEAN MkIII with ~400rwhp. It is ab'tein'able I think. Abtainable, Abtanable... v.v crap, I cant spell alright??

Later, Awesome car man Congrats!!!

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
GotTurbos? said:
No, they don't mean whp... their bhp is the same number as what we call "hp" such as, the zo6 with 505hp, the british would call that 505bhp, and not 420bhp or whatever it would actually put down.

upgradedsupra said:
The UK measure hp as "flywheel hp". (I have a good friend that wrote the article and he is from the UK.) My car was measure BHP in Japanese Pefrmance mag and was 665 RWHP ;) RWHP is wheel and BHP is fywheel.

Nice to see another MKIII in a mag!! 7M repping yet again!!!! :)

Duane

I realize what brake horsepower means here in the states, however, i have a 2hr long video called "the skyline story" (which i fully recommend to everyone, they do multiple 200 mph runs on the autobahn) and most of the documentary is done in England. They do multiple dyno runs, and every time they say thats 500 bhp right after looking at the computer screen. So i guess they just have the computer do a quick calculation. I don't know, either way, how does an xtd clutch hold that much hp????

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
My only question is: how is that exhaust hung? If it really is straight back, it would be running right under the gas tank... Does he have a fuel cell? Because I would be worried running my hot ass exhaust pipe half an inch under the gas tank... And as for straight line versus the hard turns of coming out the back to the side: have you seen my exhaust? Its vertually a straight line from the dp back... There are 2 very very slight bends: 20-something degree and a 30 degree... And mine is 3.5"...

I found this funny: .....fabricated their own cooling rail for the intercooler. Buying one would have cost $120 *pounds* so they made thier own for $10 *pounds*......

HAHAHA! Typical MKIII owner! LOL!!! I love it! :love: :love: :love:

Anyway, CONGRATS man! I love the car! Thanks for reppin the 7M so well!

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
GotTurbos? said:
Explain?

The car has 571bhp...which isn't that much power. You can make that on a regular 3" routed just like everyone else...

571 bhp isn't that much???

Assuming that it's not imaginary hp, that is serous hp out of a 7mgte.

C'mon give the guy his props.

I'm sure their goal with the exhaust was minimum bends, not asthetics.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Looks to me as if the exhaust is run just like a normal exhaust and then cuts back under the gas tank after the rear suspension..Take a closer look at the pic from the rear..Looks like it would've been straighter(?) if it just came out at the normal outlet. I believe its probably more for looks. Anyways WTF did this become a discussion about how the MFer ran his exhaust??...to each his own..Maybe he likes it, and its not your car in the mag so stop hating ppl. How many times have you seen an mk3 with a huge honkin pipe comming from under the middle of the bumper?

Last edited:

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
Reign_Maker said:
My only question is: how is that exhaust hung? If it really is straight back, it would be running right under the gas tank... Does he have a fuel cell? Because I would be worried running my hot ass exhaust pipe half an inch under the gas tank... And as for straight line versus the hard turns of coming out the back to the side: have you seen my exhaust? Its vertually a straight line from the dp back... There are 2 very very slight bends: 20-something degree and a 30 degree... And mine is 3.5"...

I found this funny: .....fabricated their own cooling rail for the intercooler. Buying one would have cost $120 *pounds* so they made thier own for $10 *pounds*......

HAHAHA! Typical MKIII owner! LOL!!! I love it! :love: :love: :love:

Anyway, CONGRATS man! I love the car! Thanks for reppin the 7M so well!
the pipe has regular clamps on it and runs right down the middle of the rear cradle below the diff. Car also runs a fuel cell. Not much clearence to the ground below the pipe

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Adjuster said:
PS: The only thing I'd reccomend to this owner is getting some real brakes. Even uprated stockers can't hold up to the speed that engine can dish out. Seriously, it's a safety thing at this level of power. The car can go much faster than the stock brakes can effectively slow it down from more than once or twice at most in the same general period of time. (Stock fades away, and becomes worthless, even with good pads, and fresh fluid, there is just not enough mass in the rotor, or enough cooling surface either.)
sorry to revive, but i read this magazine today, the car was specifically built for drag racing.
Anyway continue on with your lives :D

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, didn't even see this thread. there are a few things i don't like about the car, but that engine is a clusterfuck. that's for sure.

TheRemedy

Sweeping the Streets
Nov 7, 2006
PA
About 5 years ago or so there was a white mk3 supra with a carbon hood and stock mk4 wheels in either super street or sports compact...does anyone have that issuie...or the link to that car? it was really nice

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
shaeff said:
heh, didn't even see this thread. there are a few things i don't like about the car, but that engine is a clusterfuck. that's for sure.

agreed haha i could not follow a single line in there

there are a few things that I love in this world and one of those is a 7M in a mk3, so I can't fault him there.