MKIII full resto and 2JZGTE swap

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
TMMCSupra;2005139 said:
An honor coming from you sir. Thank you.

I get my inspirations from guys like yourself. Suspension work for weekend road racing is the next phase for my car. I know the quality to strive for. Thank you!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Whoa. How have I not noticed this yet? Keep up the awesome work and pics.

I'd love to do this as well, but I'm not sure if the time, funds and space will ever line up. Hats off to you.

Sent from my Moto X.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Mother of Toyota this is awesome I'd love do something like this and have a garage like that. Awesome work man can't wait to see the end results.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I hope to have some real updates on progress very soon. A lot of what I've done you can't really see and is also quite un eventfull.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
A little update. Did some more scrapping under the car. Couple shots of the condition. It's pretty good. Rockers are solid. Just some minor surface rust in places and a hole In the floor I've fabricated a panel for, just have to weld in. Oh and a couple shots of the front and rear suspension. Like most Supra's from the north, it needs some attention to rear quarters.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Simple curiousity.. When welding like that how much more susceptible to rust are the welds. I'm not a welder bit have heard there is a proper way of welding to reduce rust afterwards, but is it still more prone?

Just wondering because I have a few panels that have been replaced.

I have had a lot of people tell me if I'm worried about rust on my inner panels just coat it with engine oil...

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Well I'm not sure if there's a proper way to weld to prevent rust. I have read and found some products you can put on before you weld though. It's like a weldable paint. I plan on painting with POR15 both on top and underneath before undercoating. I'm afraid anytime you compromise metal by welding in panels or patches you run the risk of rust coming back. I don't think it's more prone. You just have have be sure to prep and treat the metal after.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
argon gas works well for preventing oxidation while welding but after welding it's just a matter of primer and paint, that's the only thing that will really protect it.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
When you melt metal like that all the contaminates come to the surface, if you don't up enough shielding gas you'll see surface rust in 24-48 hours.