MKIII full resto and 2JZGTE swap

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Great job. Subscribed for sure.

Makes me feel bad about mine sitting in the yard months at a time untouched.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
hvyman;1975377 said:
Did you strip the old under coating off? What are you going to use for a new coating?

Looks good.

Thanks!

I have yet to strip it. Not sure the best way yet or what I'm going to re-coat it with. If anyone has any ideas, I would appriciate it.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
No major updates. Got the hood back on and the car home for the winter. I'll be working in things over the winter, then taking the car back to the shop to finish all the body work.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
TMMCSupra;1975431 said:
Thanks!

I have yet to strip it. Not sure the best way yet or what I'm going to re-coat it with. If anyone has any ideas, I would appriciate it.

I used 4 different knives, 2-wood carving, 1-skinning, and a shoe cobblers tool, to scrap it off, then once %85 removed a light touch of the wire wheel to remove left overs

leaving just the electro-green coating... then epoxy, then rocker-guard (less texture than gravel guard) then epoxy again, for desired colour.

I'm only out in Elmira... if you need a new supra buddy..../inspiration, (the last part i am always searching for)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Fantastic work.
You've gone to the fullest to make your car 101% perfect. I will be keeping up with your build.

Prism11

#04;1978393 said:
I used 4 different knives, 2-wood carving, 1-skinning, and a shoe cobblers tool, to scrap it off, then once %85 removed a light touch of the wire wheel to remove left overs

I used the same technique. There is no real easy way to do it. I used a 1" and 2" putty knife though with the end sharpened. For the tough spots I used the butane torch to soften it before scraping.
Its a miserable job when you have to lay under the car to do it, feel like you just left the coal mine when your done.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I love working on this project even though it's going to cost me a tonne of cash and even more time. I know in the end I'll have something to be proud of. Even if it's a little crazy.

Thanks for the advice on the under coating. I did think of something like that too, and I'll be giving it a try for sure.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
have you got an engine for this?

if you were going to shave the engine bay at all, this would be a great time for mock up...

reseal it along with the floor

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
the only reason I mention it, is because I went through mine as thoroughly as you seem to be doing yours,

and if I did it again I would have taken the extra days to shave the bay...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Just stopped by for some updates........................leaves this page very very sad.

JK. I'll check back in later to see what's being done.

TMMCSupra

Oct 2, 2010
Waterloo, Ontario
Sorry for the lack of updates. I moved the car to my garage at home for the winter. I have a buddy of mine coming to do some 3D digital scans of the rear quarters so I can make some replacement ones since I can't find any decent ones to cut out and weld back in.

Here's something we were working on last year. Might re visit it for my Supra project. It's a completely carbon fibre exhaust can with stainless steel insert for the packing that can be tuneable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYWct-w8sMU&list=UUDbqdP649aGFXc2KCk-CtLg

This is what we'll be doing to the rear quarters. After the scan, we'll modify anything we want before making the moulds. He did this for a friends GSXR race bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmyV8Up2uU&list=UUDbqdP649aGFXc2KCk-CtLg

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nice build. That scanner thing is pretty cool. How are you going to take the digital file and make something as large as the rear quarters?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
This is the first time I've seen this build tread. So I started from page 1. Only thing I could think of after the first page was the cost. What is the budget for the build?