MK3 Supra 350 Small Block swap

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Not trying to hijack your thread with my pics here but here are my mounts before I boxed them in.

Good luck!
p1492914_1.jpg

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
keeping it carbed or going aftermarket fuel injection?

ive been considering doing an ls1 swap on my supra.... still debating... gonna stick with the 7mgte for a while... when it blows... we'll see what happends.

nice build either way.

-AcId-

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Suprapowaz!(2);1493401 said:
You V8 swappers are really taunting me! I've been talking about going carbed SBC for years now. I should have just done it.

Let's not get carried away. While we respect the OPs work, the least you should consider is an injected LSx.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
thorpedo;1493539 said:
Explain yourself. It is an extremely economical and if done correctly, reliable build.

Sure, but if we only cared about economy and reliability we wouldn't have bought Supras in the first place :)

I don't want to take anything away from the OP - or your - build. However, I would argue that the advancements from the 350 to the Gen III V8 are such to render the former obsolete.

Nowadays you can pull an aluminum block 5.3 out of a Silverado for ~$600. Wire up the stock PCM and you'll have a setup that -while more complex- beats a carb'd 350 in every other regard.

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
limequat;1493704 said:
Sure, but if we only cared about economy and reliability we wouldn't have bought Supras in the first place :)

I don't want to take anything away from the OP - or your - build. However, I would argue that the advancements from the 350 to the Gen III V8 are such to render the former obsolete.

Nowadays you can pull an aluminum block 5.3 out of a Silverado for ~$600. Wire up the stock PCM and you'll have a setup that -while more complex- beats a carb'd 350 in every other regard.

Fair response to my question, but I feel i should elaborate. HP per dollar, the small block chevy is still the cheapest power on the planet. (383ci stroker to be exact) I agree, it is a dinosaur, but availability and cost of parts is so unbelievably low it is hard to contend with. Of course if you want a 600hp< build the LSx is far superior, but for a car you intend to have some fun with and you're not made of cash I think this is the way to go. (as far as v8 swaps go)

The small block chev is still the most common base for all performance applications on the planet (street or track) and there is most definitely a reason for it.

Just my opinion! I am personally using my swap as a stepping stone for a future LSx swap, so I can't argue this point tooo much :p

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
thorpedo;1493767 said:
Fair response to my question, but I feel i should elaborate. HP per dollar, the small block chevy is still the cheapest power on the planet. (383ci stroker to be exact) I agree, it is a dinosaur, but availability and cost of parts is so unbelievably low it is hard to contend with. Of course if you want a 600hp< build the LSx is far superior, but for a car you intend to have some fun with and you're not made of cash I think this is the way to go. (as far as v8 swaps go)

The small block chev is still the most common base for all performance applications on the planet (street or track) and there is most definitely a reason for it.

Just my opinion! I am personally using my swap as a stepping stone for a future LSx swap, so I can't argue this point tooo much :p

Alright, you do the swap, and keep track of every penny, then I will go and spend the same amount on a running supra with a 7m, 2jz, or 1jz, or what ever toyota motor is under the hood of the supra, and we will see who puts more power down.

And one of the reasons that I got a supra was that they where not common in my area, why would you want to get away from the ability to say I have a 500hp+ daily driver and go more towards the most common engine that every billy bob and bubba can make in their back yard.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
I'm in $500. The including tranny and 4 bolt motor. New gaskets, edelbrock carb/intake, msd stuff (plugs, wires, cap ,rotor) chrome stuff, new alternator, starter, water pump, double chain and who knows what else.

So the cost of LS stuff is more the gen 1 stuff, and to start with an ls is more. And since I have no job, only doing side jobs. I think i've gotten pretty far with no real job. In the amount of time I've built it.

Right now I am staying carb, until I decide what I'm doing for a power adder. Nos/supercharger I'll stay carb, if turbo I'll go FI

nick88 I'm doing this motor cause I've done 7ms and jzs now want to expirement with something different. I like new things

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
nick88;1493779 said:
Alright, you do the swap, and keep track of every penny, then I will go and spend the same amount on a running supra with a 7m, 2jz, or 1jz, or what ever toyota motor is under the hood of the supra, and we will see who puts more power down.

And one of the reasons that I got a supra was that they where not common in my area, why would you want to get away from the ability to say I have a 500hp+ daily driver and go more towards the most common engine that every billy bob and bubba can make in their back yard.

Lol, fail.

Including a Fully rebuilt 350 with its fair share of goodies, 150 shot of nitrous, and everything necessary to install it brand new, I won't be over 1500$ CAD. My build has some goodies that are not necessary, they are in fact overkill.

I'm running low 400WHP that can run allllllll day long with 0 problems. (yes with my nitrous as well)

" why would you want to get away from the ability to say I have a 500hp+ daily driver" - This made me laugh. I know more than a few people who are running far more HP than that and have many many thousand miles with no problems. The smart ones can do that all motor. That statement was purely ignorant.

Although not super uncommon, these swaps will yield a more unique build than the typical 1j swap. They turn heads and surprise people.

Not trying to get overly defensive here guys, I just don't like ignorance.

Again to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread :/

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
thorpedo;1494316 said:
Lol, fail.

Including a Fully rebuilt 350 with its fair share of goodies, 150 shot of nitrous, and everything necessary to install it brand new, I won't be over 1500$ CAD. My build has some goodies that are not necessary, they are in fact overkill.

I'm running low 400WHP that can run allllllll day long with 0 problems. (yes with my nitrous as well)

" why would you want to get away from the ability to say I have a 500hp+ daily driver" - This made me laugh. I know more than a few people who are running far more HP than that and have many many thousand miles with no problems. The smart ones can do that all motor. That statement was purely ignorant.

Although not super uncommon, these swaps will yield a more unique build than the typical 1j swap. They turn heads and surprise people.

Not trying to get overly defensive here guys, I just don't like ignorance.

Again to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread :/

Dyno sheets?