MK3 Crash Safety?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
NeedamkII;1137318 said:
I got rear ended by an early 90s Honda Civic coupe and it destroyed my poor ol Supra. I imagined her to be going 40-50mph.. She hit me, I slid up ten feet and hit the guy in front of me (brakes on btw), and my poor supra warped like a tin can a little..

/
l

Kinda lookin... Anyway, my spare tire absorbed some of the pressure, I'm suprised it didn't blow. It had two sharpish looking metal protrusions going into it and was deformed from all the weight resting on it still.

I dunno, they're safe, but I got rear ended by a damn civic and got hella fucked up. My CD player brackets even broke. Maybe she hit me faster, I dunno, was on the interstate.

DAYUM, maybe i was just hella lucky. it prolly was because he didnt hit me head on. it was my passenger rear vs. his driver front. so ya...

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Someone here had a tyre blow at 100 mph and ended up like this:

tinglev_337087d.jpg

I think there were three people in the car and they all more or less walked away. I think the driver bruised his eye brow.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
People, these cars weren't designed in the 60s...of course they have crumple zones; however, they may not be as sophisticated as those in the vehicles of today. With that said, the cabin area of our car is designed quite well to act as a cocoon to protect the occupants in a collision. I took a hit pretty good on the rear driver side quarter of my old supra and it bent the whole panel back ~8-10 inches, and bent the frame both in front of and behind the driver compartment. Of course, I was fine.

I did read a study stating that the supra is one of the most dangerous (in Australia) cars in pedestrian/vehicle collisions. Probably due to the pop up headlights and the low nose.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
D34DC311;1137324 said:
DAYUM, maybe i was just hella lucky. it prolly was because he didnt hit me head on. it was my passenger rear vs. his driver front. so ya...
Dude... he got nailed from the back, hard enough to shove the car TEN FEET with the brakes on. And he's fine. It may have killed the Supra, but what did it do to the HONDA???

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Passenger cabin is very strong on these cars, and they're made strong.

Sadly modern regulations aren't always about protecting the passengers, but passing some test to get a certain rating. It's a lot like the DOT vs Snell helmets...

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Any wreck when you stop and the person behind you doesn't that you can walk away from is a win. I find it funny how many people think Hondas are tin cans, it's made the same way our cars are.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
adampecush;1137342 said:
People, these cars weren't designed in the 60s...of course they have crumple zones; however, they may not be as sophisticated as those in the vehicles of today. With that said, the cabin area of our car is designed quite well to act as a cocoon to protect the occupants in a collision. .

I was just about to make this post ;)
(Thanks Adam)

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack;1137440 said:
Dude... he got nailed from the back, hard enough to shove the car TEN FEET with the brakes on. And he's fine. It may have killed the Supra, but what did it do to the HONDA???

LOL, :biglaugh::biglaugh:
A can of sardines come to mind...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Seriously, touch almost any surface in the supra and it's soft and padded, now do that to a modern car...

They depend 100% on airbags these days and they don't protect everything...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
During the 'last' fuel crisis - where the speed limits were federally dropped to a max of 55 to save fuel (which, by the way, may have saved fuel, but it also increased the accident rate nationwide) - they also changed the regulations on how tough the car had to be built. Why? Simple - they wanted to cut weight on cars, and use the lower weights to save on fuel.

The end result of this was more damage in collisions, and much higher insurance costs. Is a modern car safer? Maybe... airbags do help quite a bit. However, your 20 year old Supra has one thing going for it - guaran-damn-teed it's a shitload cheaper to fix after a collision.

PS: The auto industry wasn't the only one hit, either. 'Higher' building standards were rolled out at the same time, requiring better insulation standards and buildings with better waterproofing layers - unfortunately the end result there was the creation of the infamous leaky condo problem. Leaky is a bit of a misnomer, too, because most of the damage (at least around here) is due to condensation inside the building envelope causing rot, not water leaking in from outside.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Doin' about 35-40 by the time of impact, I t-boned a chick in an SUV...this was my old '87....only interior damage was the dash panel under the steering wheel where it mounts to the dash body, and a spider-web crack in the lower left windshield where my base stickers are.

RIP.jpg

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
KicknAsphlt;1137704 said:
Doin' about 35-40 by the time of impact, I t-boned a chick in an SUV...this was my old '87....only interior damage was the dash panel under the steering wheel where it mounts to the dash body, and a spider-web crack in the lower left windshield where my base stickers are.

RIP.jpg

DoD Supra Club

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
don't worry. i crashed my hella nice 89t going about 80mph on 101 by santa rosa. i spun around in the middle of the highway about 4 times. then i smacked the gaurd rail. i didn't get a scratch. just a little shook up. after the chp left i pulled the fender off and drove the 250 miles back home. :evil2:

smashed the whole front end about 4 inches to the passenger side.

p1137920_1.jpg

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I Tboned a newer Honda Pilot in my 2001 Mazda Protege. She pulled out in front of me. I slammed on the brakes(ABS), and by the time I hit her I must have slowed down to around 30-35mph. The point of impact on my car was mainly the driver front side. I'm sure If I hit that SUV doing the full 45mph then it would have been worse, but not bad for a little tin can of a car. I sustained no injuries. Don't make them like they use too?

I'd rather have my car crushed like an accordian to save my life than to be worried about the car. Cars can be replaced. BTW, if ya'll haven't noticed it's not a MKIII Supra.

1742cp4.jpg

1752fb7.jpg

1782nz0.jpg

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
One of my good friends my senior year of high school sat behind me in english class drove an 88 N/A Supra. He was T-boned by an SUV going 45+ MPH and was killed.

It was completely his fault.. no seatbelt, blew the red light, targa top off. He was thrown from the vehicle, Supra was really messed up.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Suprapowaz!(2): if you had been in a supra you'd have little to no damage.

That's going to be a hood, bumper, bumper support, headlights, ect ect ect

Modern cars are tuned for the crash test of a certain speed. Like I talked aobut the DOT vs Snell helmets, the Snell helmets have to take two impacts in the same exact spot while statisticly speaking that has NEVER happened. More G's are transfered to your head because of this flawed standard.

It's kinda like the new guardrails around here that are 3 cables. My front bumper would go under them and it would probably take the top of my car off, along with my head...

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Have u seen those in use yet poodles, its kinda cool. I saw a camry hit one on 820 and it just grabed it like a spider web.