mk3 4 a first car

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
hi guys im just wondering how good is a mk3 for a first car
the 1 i have been looking for has a main oil seal leak and the ac needs to be recharged 4 6000 but its has about 400hp

mikeoc1

Jun 25, 2009
Ft Benning
I dont recomend it for a first car. Only because first cars tend to get abused, and MKIII require alot of love (maintenance). Also I know how I beat on my first car (or two) so I hate to see one get wrecked by an inexperienced driver (saw it happen to a freind's son mint 88 n/a). Thats my opinion as I sit here older and wiser. If I were 16-18yrs old I would say hell yes MKIII for a first car! But seriously if you like working on cars and believe in taking care of your stuff then go for it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Yes MKIII's make good first cars, but never a turbo with 400 hp. No turbo car, especially one with 400 hp makes a good first car.

You need a non turbo, hopefully automatic for a first car, then you can learn to swap parts and EARN your horsepower. This car can spin tires and spin out (ask me how I know), even stock and beaten to death with over a quarter million miles. Even after having my 89 for 5 years, and having it turbo for the past 3, I'm still not 100% confident in driving her hard because I have no idea when the rear end may come loose, even though I just swapped in a TT-R differential..

You are probably very young and inexperienced. Trust me on this.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Yea I think they can make out for a good first car. For me it wasnt my first vehicle but it was my first car and it very enjoyable. As said before, they are big on maintenance and how you treat them, and for that asking price you could buy both a Supra and a turn key reliable daily driver as in a Civic, Camry, Corolla, Celica, or a small pickup tuck, ect... and be way better off.

P.S. for some reason the numbers within the text are bugging the s*** out of me...

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
Chambers;1731623 said:
Yea I think they can make out for a good first car. For me it wasnt my first vehicle but it was my first car and it very enjoyable. As said before, they are big on maintenance and how you treat them, and for that asking price you could buy both a Supra and a turn key reliable daily driver as in a Civic, Camry, Corolla, Celica, or a small pickup tuck, ect... and be way better off.

thts the problem insurance will be a bitch just 4 the supra imagine another car 4 a 16 year old

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I dont think a supra is too bad for a 1st car.
They're tanks so they're pretty safe, they're old so insurance is fairly cheap, they're cheap to buy. And as long as you get one thats been taken care of and you maintain it, it'll last you years.
I would look for a stock but well taken care of n/a (5spd or auto is up to you) and with no lsd, so instead of the ass end swinging out if you hit the gas a lil much it'll just spin the inside tire.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
kotu100;1731635 said:
...and with no lsd, so instead of the ass end swinging out if you hit the gas a lil much it'll just spin the inside tire.

...and then spin out. :)

My Mk2's diff really needs refreshed, it only spins one tire, and it can be downright frustrating getting traction sometimes. LSD makes driving a lot more safe in my experience, at least in snow.

Anyway, on topic, I could only recommend such a setup IF you have a good set of tools (you'll need them), patience (you'll need that too), good shoes (in case it breaks down), and a healthy job. All that aside, looking back at my driving habits and lifestyle of that age, I would probably be dead if I had had a 400hp Supra at 16. You have to have the mindset that the car WILL want to kill you and/or your wallet. It's just what these cars do, one way or another. :)

I'll recommend the same car I recommend for anyone with sporting intentions with a car: Buy a Miata. Try and find a hardtop (the looks are easier to handle that way, but you'll still catch all sorts of crap from friends and strangers alike) 5 speed. They can be had for relatively cheap, they're cheap to insure, cheap to fuel, cheap to buy tires and parts for, and if decently maintained, they'll last forever, even if you are hard on the car. That said, they will be a better teacher of driving fundamentals. If everyone learned on Miatas, we wouldn't have to deal with as many accidents I suspect, but that's a topic for another thread...

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
My first car was an 88 n/a (got it when i was 17, im 18 now and still have it.) I agree with what these guys are saying if i would have gone with a turbo it proly would be in a junk yard right now. even a non turbo supra is pretty quick for a first car. plus it stands out and looks really cool. Just make sure you find one thats been well taken care of with lots of service history.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
first car I owned is my supra 89 turbo. I slided it around a a track once to learn how the car react and a supra is very easy to control, pull the clutch it and it will straightout by itself

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The answer to this is *entirely* dependent on the driver in question.

Be honest with yourself when answering the questions:

Can I keep my foot off the accelerator, even under pressure, for instance, with a hot girl in the passenger seat, and a Mustang in the next lane that I know I can beat like a red headed step child?

Can I afford a car that requires a lot of upkeep, for instance it needs good rubber on all four corners, and can wear it out faster than ice cream melting at the county fair?

If you can exercise the kind of restraint that the Supra demands, it should be a great first car. On the other hand, if you can, you're a very small percentage of the population.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
yes and no, my first car was a 87 n/a 5spd.
it was fast for what it was. After i installed the lsd yikes it was no fun to drive in the rain.
At the same time i worked on it constantly and did pour alot of money into it.
If I had it to do over, I wouldnt change a thing.
great memories in that car and i would say im a much better mechanic because of it too.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
My first was a N/A 5 speed Supra. I was smart enough to not beat it or abuse it. I did the maintenance it needed when it needed it and drove it as smooth as I could. It may not have airbags, but it is built very sturdy and is extremely safe. Insurance isn't too bad if you are added onto your parents plan and they have good records.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Never get a turbo mk3 for a first car. buy a 86 or 87 Cressida to sharpen your mechanical skills, when you think your ready swap a turbo engine into it and practice driving it, after that buy a clean mk3 shell and put the engine in it, its not like mk3 are hard to find.

92ma71

Jun 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Is an mk3 for a first car good? Yes maybe a non turbo that requires less attention. But not a Turbo and with 400hp.
My first car was an 89 turbo. But it was comepletely stock and it was an automatic which helped me keep in line and I got it for 800 dollars.
Even though this car is old, Insurance is NOT cheap at all especially at 16. I recommend getting a stock one for a few thousand and another car for a daily driver if you fell in love with a supra.
With 400hp equals more fuel and definately 93 octane. So every time you hit that pump in these times your going to feel it.
But in the end, like a few other people said, you need to know your goals, your budget, are you mechanically inclined enough to do the seal that it needs and its going to need alot of other things to im sure.
My supra spent more time apart in the garage and driving a beater car then I did driving it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A 1st car should be something cheap and reliable that you can rack up many many many hours of practice in, NOT something that will spend 95% of it's time up on stands waiting to be rebuilt/repaired.....

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
IJ.;1731756 said:
A 1st car should be something cheap and reliable that you can rack up many many many hours of practice in, NOT something that will spend 95% of it's time up on stands waiting to be rebuilt/repaired.....

+1

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Realistically the answer is 100% no in my book.

a non-turbo, stock, clean mk3 can be fine. The car you're looking at? Absolutely not. Unless you are the shining example of the calm, mild-mannered, scared-of-speed 16 year old that doesn't exist in this reality then you should be nowhere near a 400hp RWD, turbo sports car. Especially one that is 20 years old. I'm a rather smart kid and I was back in high school, but I still wouldve seriously endangered myself and my friends if I had the Supra I have right now.

Do you want something to spend HOURS and HOURS on in the garage, or do you want a car to drive?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Price seems a tad high to for non working a/c and a rear main seal possibly a clutch from that as well.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
Can't imagine these cars as first cars. Take to much TLC and money. Maybe and NA...but definatly not a turbo. More of a second/third/project/weekend warrior car

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My first car was a 88 n/a. blew up after 5k. Sat for a year. Then got a jdm motor and it ran good unttil the hg went 2 years later and then got hit after i did the hg.