mk3 4 a first car

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
supralover2;1731627 said:
thts the problem insurance will be a bitch just 4 the supra imagine another car 4 a 16 year old

That is why you do what I have done. Get a daily driver and put the cheapest insurance on it. Then put the supra in the garage while you are not using it under storage insurance.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
liability will only be like 60$ if you dont have any tickets. Seems like a alot tho if your 16.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
When I was sixteen my first car was a 87 n/a and well I wasn't lucky enough to salvage the car after the wreck (not my fault) when i was seventeen I used the money to invest in a turbo model (bad mistake) sadly I wrecked the car (my fault) I could have easily been killed.

1st car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Qkel3iifc

2nd car- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHdBA7oAKI

Take it from me and just be smart and careful don't take life for granted.

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
im glad 4 the input cuz i just drove my dads 96 galant gtz and i cant even control a 190hp galant so no supra turbo Lol so what about this guys my dad said this car is on its last leg so im thinking this
i take tht 4 free but i want to convert it to manual and 1 of the pistons r going out so i need to fix tht either way im paying the same price so im thinking of just buying a mk3 na 5 speed 4 about 2k and just save money and put it into the supra wat u guys think

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
RazoE;1731615 said:
Yes MKIII's make good first cars, but never a turbo with 400 hp. No turbo car, especially one with 400 hp makes a good first car.

You need a non turbo, hopefully automatic for a first car, then you can learn to swap parts and EARN your horsepower. This car can spin tires and spin out (ask me how I know), even stock and beaten to death with over a quarter million miles. Even after having my 89 for 5 years, and having it turbo for the past 3, I'm still not 100% confident in driving her hard because I have no idea when the rear end may come loose, even though I just swapped in a TT-R differential..

You are probably very young and inexperienced. Trust me on this.

This hands down. Yea its a good first car. Just a NA...My 87 was an original NA 5 speed. As RazoE has said you need to earn your power.

Also, please use proper grammar. It is difficult to read your post. Yes we are old crotchety old people...Ian and Mike especially.

Last edited:

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
It's not a great first car if it's turbo , unless it has low miles and it's immaculate. The N/A supra is a "Chill"(im still hip with the youngsters) first car, meaning that it's fun and they don't really have many problems. If you are really set on a supra , always do compression check, combustion leak test and the usual basic visual before you purchase. GL

jdmmk3

Jun 25, 2010
Manchester
Just becareful of that boost. Im 16 and just got my license about 4 days ago. for crusing around ive been driving my dads 1jz since im currently building my 2jz mk3 and man ill tell you its tempting. but what always keeps me from goin on it is the fact that i could lose my license just like that. But in the long run if you can control the urge its a beautiful car, with the targa top off and the music blasting its a nice car to drive around especially now that its the summer

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
A stock non-turbo Supra would be a good option. They are reliable, the insurance isn't bad for a sixteen year old, and they look good too. My Supra is my first car, it's an 87 N/A 5spd, and I love it. As long as you get one in good condition, and you are willing to fix the small things that will break on any 24 year old car, then you'll enjoy it.
Good Luck.:icon_bigg

jdmmk3

Jun 25, 2010
Manchester
^ hope ur doing this at a track lol. its not worth risking your life and others on a the street. im mean i have no place to talk but if your gunna race your buddy with the mustang suck up the 30$ and do it at a strip instead of risking alot of bad shit happening

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
duh just kidding i live about 10 miles away from a dragstrip so ill be cruising downtown in the city
]CANT WAIT

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

jdmmk3;1731935 said:
^ hope ur doing this at a track lol. its not worth risking your life and others on a the street. im mean i have no place to talk but if your gunna race your buddy with the mustang suck up the 30$ and do it at a strip instead of risking alot of bad shit happening

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
i have a quick question my dad owns a galant gtz should i get that
1 piston is going out so i need to fix that and replace the tranny with a 5 speed and some minor body work

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats like total rebuild. The 5 speed parts.

Might be better to have a 4 door, but the cost to fix that is going to be a lot. And then you need all the 5 speed parts so your looking at about another grand plus labor for that.

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
supralover2;1731933 said:
no no people said that the 400 horsepower was to much so im just gonna get the 5 speed n/a supra
would a n/a mk3 beat a mustang gt?

HAHA...yea no lol

Don't get too caught up in just buying a car man. Take your time and find what fits you best

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I dont think even a stock turbo would beat a Mustang GT well i guess it depends on the year.

But with very light mods it will destroy a mustang :)

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
SupraMario;1731891 said:
This hands down. Yea its a good first car. Just a NA...My 87 was an original NA 5 speed. As RazoE has said you need to earn your power.

Also, please use proper grammar. It is difficult to read your post. Yes we are old crotchety old people...Ian and Mike especially.

It also bugs 20-year-olds like me.

I like that you're asking though, I respect that. My first car was a '91 turbo auto. I was 16, and um, yea I don't recommend it either.

Edit: After posting I remembered what my sig says lol the other driver was at fault. I'm just saying that the car surprised me a few times.