Mesh in the front bumper = sin to the supra god?

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Alright, I just took apart my front bumper to do some detailing and fix some rust issues and I was wondering, I don't want the stock front grille anymore ( between the fog lights not the turn signals) and I'm trying to find an alternative to it because I have a FMIC and I don't want it to get hit by rocks or anything while I'm driving. All I can think of is mesh, but I think I would pray paint it black because silver would just look rice, and my cars black so ya.

What do you guys think?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
These cars come with a front mount, just not as big as some of the aftermarket ones. I'm sure it has happened before, but rocks destroying an intercooler are not your every day story. Many people ditch the grille, or upgrade the bumper so that the space in front of the IC is wide open. The problem with the pre 89 bumper, is that you are left with the tabs for the screws on that grille, and they are just ugly. You can cut them off, but it isn't the easiest thing to complete without screwing it up somehow.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I'm not opposed to grill mesh, but it needs to be an automotive product, not that Home Depot crap made to keep chickens in.
preferably a black-chrome style finish so its weather-resistant, and slightly subdued.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
supraguy@aol;1537299 said:
I'm not opposed to grill mesh, but it needs to be an automotive product, not that Home Depot crap made to keep chickens in.
preferably a black-chrome style finish so its weather-resistant, and slightly subdued.

times two,...here

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, mesh is smart as it protects coolers. Mom's miata has an aftermarket one that has some black coating on it so it's stealth but does it's job of protecting.

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
IJ.;1537342 said:
I used a diamond coated [Strike]pattern expanded aluminium [/Strike] uranium depleted titanium mesh for the intakes on my old Z car it worked well and once painted satin black you could barely tell it was in there.

Corrected that for the IJ

And i agree with the using the proper mesh and painting/coating it black.

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Ya I wouldn't be using home depot crap, and yes I know these cars have a Stock fmic, mines sitting in my trunk, what I meant was I have an aftermarket fmic from BIC performance. Id like to preserve the IC as much as Possible since it's mounted so close to my front bumper.

So we have an agreement! Automotive mesh that's painted a type of black, which is exactly what I wanted!
I'll let you guys know when I have it on my car so you know what it looks like.