Lucy - Im home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Yeah Pete, you definitely should make the trip regardless, it would be a great relaxation for you regardless, plus there are alot of cool people to meet, it's always a fun party, plus some really badass cars.

I'm still not sure how you're convinced it's a BHG, you haven't even ran it enough to get a BHG. Go rent a hydrocarbons tester and make sure.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Rajunz said:
Yeah Pete, you definitely should make the trip regardless, it would be a great relaxation for you regardless, plus there are alot of cool people to meet, it's always a fun party, plus some really badass cars.

I'm still not sure how you're convinced it's a BHG, you haven't even ran it enough to get a BHG. Go rent a hydrocarbons tester and make sure.

Its blown...trust me. I went and bought a combustion leak tester. While I was doing the test and warming up the car with the radiator cap off...I looked up to see a huge cloud of smoke (steam) coming out the back. Apparently running it without the back pressure in the coolant system let the stuff into the combustion chamber. Shortly after seeing that I looked at the inside of the oil filler cap and saw minute traces of milkshake. Trust me Lance, its blown. I must have done something wrong putting the gasket in for it to blow after only a few trips around the block.

But its no biggie, Im gonna have more room and a better place to work on it in Houston. Also I assume better access to parts and services there.

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Well sorry Pete, that does suck, hope to see you at the meet regardless. Trust me you will still have a blast without the car, I'll even buy the beer to drown your sorrows, although once you get there, you'll forget all about a stupid head gasket.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Rajunz said:
Well sorry Pete, that does suck, hope to see you at the meet regardless. Trust me you will still have a blast without the car, I'll even buy the beer to drown your sorrows, although once you get there, you'll forget all about a stupid head gasket.

Thanks for that offer, but I quit drinking about a year ago. I'll let you buy my diet soda though...lol

After feeling sorry for myself and being mad at myself for only a couple of hours Ive decided to make this a positive thing. It means I get to do my full build sooner than I had planned. The biggest dissapointment in all this is not having a Supra to drive for the Texas event. Hell, Im half tempted to order some parts and have em waiting in Houston. Then when I get there invite a few Suprarians to come do an all night thrash and replace the gasket with me. Hell if I had a shortblock waiting for me we could make it a timed event and see just how fast a motor can be swapped!

hmmmm...

<--starts looking for shortblocks in the Houston area :naughty:

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Pete, sorry to hear. The same troubles have been on going with Jims motor.

- orignally bought the car with an NA w/ bhg.
- bought jdm motor that got bhg
- replaced w/ mhg.. which got bhg
- got rod knock
- got piston slap.

Things will become better, if you weren't moving to texas I'd drive to corvalis and help ya out with that motor. Btw, dont worry about making that spacer for me, just take your time. I wont be really needing it until may or so.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Sucks that all this stuff happened to your car/motor. But im sure you'll come back stronger than ever. hahah

Like ive said earlier, when ya get down and if u need help i can help ya. I may only be 17 but ive done a engine rebuild on a 89 Jeep Comanche (4.0L I-6) and i know my fair bit, granted my dad helped but i learned a lot. But im willing to help.. Shoot a PM over to me when ya get here or if you want any help when ya get here!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Thanks Steven, I'll take ya up on that.

I got my truck and trailer reserved...lined up my route on streets and Trips, and set aside my travel money. Packing tonight and tomorrow and Hit the hit the Road Saturday morning. Texas...here I come!

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
theWeezL said:
Thanks Steven, I'll take ya up on that.

I got my truck and trailer reserved...lined up my route on streets and Trips, and set aside my travel money. Packing tonight and tomorrow and Hit the hit the Road Saturday morning. Texas...here I come!
Awesome, we get to meet the Weezl.........................:biglaugh:

I'll hook you up with some cool Houston people.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well I made it here. I left Saturday afternoon at 1pm and arrived here at 7:30 today, and that included half a day in Albuquerque emptying my storage and having dinner with my (still) wife. She handed me divorce papers...yippe :3d_frown:

So Lucy fared well, with only a little damage from the trailering. I fared well myself and survived a serious deluge of thunderstorms that threatened to wash me away.

Anyway, Im burned out, and am looking forward to my first real nights sleep in a week. I'll update what Im up to later.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Glad you had a safe trip, Pete!
New life starts now! Texas is one of the best places to be for a Supra owner.
What damage occured to Lucy from the trailer?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I had a spare r154 strapped down on the back corner of the trailer and over the course of the trip it shifted a bit and was rubbing on the bottom corner of the bumper. It did a fair amount of damage but only in a little spot and its kind of hidden, no biggie. I knew it was doing it after only about 200 miles but I was too lazy to find a better arrangement for the turbo, so I just let it go. I am kind of planning to get the car painted this year anyway. I actually have worse damage to the paint just from this winters storms causing my canopy to blow over. Its stuff I can buff out when I finally get the time to actually worry about cosmetics.

But yeah, I got here ok, and it looks like I brought the rain with me :( Sorry guys! lol

So, I called a place called Motorhead Machine or something like that...anyone know if they are a good machine shop? Or is there another place you guys can recommend for getting the block and head lapped?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Horay you made it man, sad to see you wont be makin it to our local meets though :(, didnt you make a few of the mt baker runs?

Wish you a great and productive new beginning, the rain is there to help you wash away your problems and start fresh. Keep us updated.

Joker Fuel

Jul 16, 2006
Bend, OR
Hey pete, glad you abandoned us and got there fine in one piece. I seriously think there is a curse going on for our supras in our area.. Tim's Andrew's Keelan's Yours and now mine(hoping to get mine back up in a week). I really wish you luck down there man...

btw i'll try to keep in touch with you over the phone since i dont have internet anymore at home(since im down in GP 90% of the time not cost effective to pay 60bux a month) so give me a call when you get settled in so we can figure our situation out. oh and i do get Yahoo messanger on my phone so ill try to get on that when i have reception down here..

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
ok man. Im still figuring it all out down here. I only just turned in the rentals today. But I decided to go spend a few bucks. I went and got a new 6 drawer craftsman tool chest for the top of my roll away. Yesterday I ordered new injectors and cometic mhg. Im going to start pulling my motor tomorrow. I hope to have it ready to go to the machine shop on Monday. Once I got my car running again I can start getting settled in and make some workspace to get some projects done.

you have my number so call me anytime you want.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
americanjebus said:
didnt you make a few of the mt baker runs?

no, wasnt me. I really didnt make a big connection with the PDX/SEA-Tac peoples.

I really dont plan on staying in Houston all that long so I dont know about really getting into the crowd here, but when I finally reach the final destination (Austin) I will settle in real good there.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well, for those that didnt know already I made it to TX in time for TX2K7...but sadly was left with no transportation and no contacts in the area to get me out to any of the events. I spent the weekend instead pulling my motor and getting it stripped down for the machine shop.

To be honest folks Im a little pissed off and disappointed. I guess Im pretty much on my own for figuring things out down here and getting a shop to do the work. Ive been thinking about it and Im leaning pretty heavily towards getting the motor done and selling her. Im kinda burned out. I expected to be doing fun stuff and cosmetic mods by this point after the amount of money I have into this ... car...

As my daily driver I probably never should have ripped into it, but thats water under the bridge now. Im going to try to get a solid bottom end together and then get the rest of this thing all back together then decide what to do. Im just burned out I think. I would love to get some seat time in this car for once.

I'll try to pop a couple pics, but Im not really feeling like being a documentarian right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.