Lucy - Im home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well, Some of you may know I picked up an 89T last week. The specs on her are 166k miles, Stock tubo with big ass FMIC behind turboA duct, Blitz SSBOV, Automatic, TEMS, Targa, grey cloth int., Sony head unit, 20 footer red paint and '06 Tiburon 17" wheels. 225/45-17 front and 235/40 -17's rear.
I plan to keep this one for a while so I thought I should dedicate a thread to Lucy. I will update here as I go and save general chat from my rantings and ramblings.

After a very dissapointing trip down from Olympia in which she ended up on a dolly for part of the trip (and in the process damaging the nose and one of the IC pipes), I finally got her home! Heat soak was the initial diagnosis, but the solution was not easily found. I really dont want to get into it with the previous owner and to be honest I dont know for a fact that he knew anything about this cars problems. But at least one of the previous owners did some pretty sketchy work on this car, including things like using electrical tape to "repair" hoses and couplers. In an attemt to make some peace with the previous owner I want to add that Im still glad I bought the car. She is going to get all the love and attention that I can afford, and I hope to one day grace this sights RotM banner. Ive only owned her a week and I already have literally given her my blood, sweat and yes a few tears too! (but my wounds are healing nicely thank you very much)

This is what she looked like the day after I got her home.

DSCF0732.JPG

DSCF0735.JPG

DSCF0743.JPG

DSCF0738.JPG

Right after I took those pics the "heat soak" problem popped up for the second time and I was forced to leave her in the park overnight. I swear I was like a father worried about his kid being out all night.:nono:

Over the course of the next week I went to work on correcting everything I could think of that might be causing the hot start problem, and at the same time just fixing things I saw wrong or wanted different. Here is a list of what I either fixed or upgraded. *kwu = Known working used

• Replaced CPS with kwu, soldered connection on wires, and set timing. Had to modify the CPS hold down to allow for proper timing.
  • Replaced coil pack with kwu.
  • Replaced plug wires with low milage Bosch and plugs with new NGK platinums.
  • Removed, cleaned, repainted and replaced spark plug galley cover.
  • Replaced cracked and electrical taped 3000 pipe coupler with new red silicon version.
  • Respliced previously poorly spliced AFM wiring, and installed kwu AFM.
  • swapped ISC valve with kwu.
  • Replaced fuel pump resistor and relay with kwu
  • Replaced igniter with kwu.
  • R&R exhaust manifold gasket and in the process, discovered turbo is in pretty bad shape. Stock replacement is on its way.
  • Upgraded to HKS style knockoff DP and full 3" back (not cat) to flowmaster 40.
  • Replaced dented fuel tank with good str8 one, and in the process swapped fuel pump and sender. Sender ended up being bad, so I had to swap back to the original. Blew out all fuel lines with compressed air.
  • Replaced FPR with kwu.
At this point my Hot start problem finally went away. I believe perhaps the Fuel pump was damaged when the tank was damaged, or it was just on its way out. My guess was it was original equipment. Continuing my pursuit of fixing all the things I could find that needed work on, I've also done the following:

• Replaced broken hood latch cable
  • Replaced poorly fixed (from a previous front ender) front electric fan and its wiring, hood latch, hood latch support brackets, and horns with kwu.
  • Adjust hood closure alignment and tightness.
  • Adjusted headlights to actually shine on the road (what a concept :3d_frown: )
  • R&R faulty seat back switch, lumbar switch and mirror switch. (actually just took switches apart and cleaned all contacts to get them working again).
  • fixed horn button so it will actually sound off!
  • Replaced heater VSV with kwu. Heater still not working correctly...even after plugging in both plugs to the CC unit that some previous owner had not connected :nono: . The ventilation system does not switch outputs.
  • Replaced all fuses and most relays with kwu.
  • added in missing Cruise control actuator and got cc system working again.
  • tested and/or replaced all vacuum lines.
  • Adjusted BOV to actually blow off! again...what a concept!
  • removed, inspected, refit and tightened all IC piping.
  • fixed leaky oil lines to Turbo.
  • Shimmed the wastegate to approx 10lbs. now hitting fuel cut with code 24 and 34. gonna deal with that when the kwu ct-26 gets here from canada.
As you can see Ive been busy! Ive just about got all the major issues dealt with. I still have some low boost compressor surge, but have a Bosch 110 on its way and I plan to add that in to the stock location. Also on the agenda is to replace a sad sounding headlight motor, need to fix the climate controls further, Im gonna touch up the front nose where it got damaged going on the dolly, I plan to add my special HD front lip in black, plan to lower it a little, tint the windows and upgrade the sound system. I also need to repaint my WeezLWings™ red to match! I will also be changing some interior coverings around a bit (black door panel inserts, ebrake boot and armrest).

Long term plans are to make about 350HP, upgrade the brakes, mod the trans for firmer shifts (or r154 swap, not sure yet though) upgrade the wheels and tires and put on a custom raised cowl hood. When all that is done, I will hopefully change to a bomex or regulus style front lip and have the car repainted.

Thats all for now. As I have time, I will update this thread with new fixes, upgrades or frustrations as they arrise. I also plan to add some new photos soon and as fall sets in would like to do a nice photoshoot with fall colors for a background.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Allan_MA70 said:
PLEASE lift that cooler up and drop the car down :)

Low on the priority list, but yes the car is getting lowered. Im not really sure what to do about the cooler. I too hate the way its put in there. But I am not 100 percent sure how to go about moving it. I'll take some pics of how its mounted and you guys can give me some suggestions.

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Damn! When I first looked at your passenger seat, I thought you had a fur seat cover on then I saw some eyes and screamed! lol. Dont ever scare me like that again. I think I have my brightness setting a little too low.

On a lighter note, beautiful car man. Everything is clean and I like how he turbo a duct was molded right now. Enjoy it!

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Hey , why are you sitting in the passengers seat??? j/k ..
Looks like the dog feels right at home. I know I would for sure. That is a nice ride man. Looks awesome.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
There's only one thing better than a supra with Weezl Wings installed in it, and that's a Turbo'd supra with Weezl Wings installed in it.................:biglaugh:

Very sharp looking car Weezl. What mod are you going to do to the tranny to make it shift harder? If you know where a reasonable shift kit or rebuild kit for the automatic is, please let me know. My wifes could probably use a rebuild kit before long. The only one I've found cost 585.00. I love the way you took care of all those little problems very quickly. If you were doing a rebuild like alot of our members are it would only take you and Home Depot about three days to finish it........................;)

You know I've got nothing but respect and love for you, and just teasing. I really do think you need a HD lip on it asap..................lol
Keep us posted on Lucy's progress.................lol

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
HellsLegion said:
Theres the Doggie that wont let ya go anywhere without you eh? =D

Yeah she is pretty much glued to my side.
I dunno about the A duct myself. At first I liked it, just cause it was different, then I didnt like it cause it changes the flow of the front, but then I thought maybe it will look better when I have the lip and hood done, soooooo...for now I gotta leave it

And I know you're just teasing SH...dont ever let me catch you explaining yourself to me again! The animal in the passenger seat is not a wolf, its an overfed tribble! She is all hair!

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Even though you went turbo you always be part of the NA club!!!!! Nice looking car weezl. Looking forward to all the weezl mods.........lol Whats your puppys name????????:icon_bigg

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Her name is Jody, which is short for Cup'oJoe, cause when she was a puppy she used to steal my wifes morning coffee. The only thing worse than a hyperactive puppy with a deathwish...is one on coffee. LOL

And I consider it an honor to be considered part of the NA crowd, but dont forget I still have an 89 NA 5spd hardtop. Im fortunate enough to have the best of both worlds, a reliable NA that never fails me, and a hot turbo to play with and drive when I need a kick for a little speed.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
FRIGGIN PIECE OF CRAP!

Shes doing it to me again. I am pretty much at a loss for what to try next to solve the problem. About the only things I can even think of now are changing the ECU or the injectors themselves. Since it is heat related I dont hold out much hope that the ECU will solve anything. The injectors might somehow be at fault I suppose, but to be honest I think thats just a shot in the dark. Ive pretty much run out of options and quite honestly patience.

I hate the car, and Im sorry I ever bought it. Im now finally beginning to understand the Supra reputation. My biggest regret is selling my 86.5NA.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
No, she is a mutt, but we think she has Keeshond in her. The NEH is in the same spitz family with the keeshond.

Im so disgusted right now...Does anyone have ANY ideas for what to test, check, replace, that I havent already?

Status
Not open for further replies.