Low profile headlights

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I was wondering does anyone know what people are doing to get there headlights to have a lower profile? In particular what size light bulb housings and whether or not they are cutting the headlight/motor bezzel, creating their own, or just leaving it larger. I was just thinking of doing this along with my other winter projects. Any info would be appreciated.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It's a rather large pain to do. There are several requirements...
- move the pivot point on the lift arm
- cut down the headlight bezel
- find and mount lights - most are going for separate high and low beams which leads to another thing...
- rewiring to support separate low and high beams

Lastly, I've seen this done quite a few times, and for the most part, the light output is junk, suitable only for show cars. It's possible to make it work nicely, however I can only recall one guy who has actually gone to the lengths needed to make it work properly.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Hmm thats too bad. I think the low pro look nice especially like the ones tekdus has. Someone needs to create a plug and play kit or something. Maybe i wont do this. It depends on how much other stuff gets done and what is still left in my winter project budget.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I really dont like the stock headlights on the mk3, but fitting good, worthwhile replacements is a huge pain. I'm still waiting for some really good, really compact HID's to come along that fit into the stock headlight area without having to hack away the radiator support.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Plug and play low profile isn't possible. I've spent several years trying to design such a kit, all will require modifications that aren't reversable or replacement of the entire assembly at a rediculous cost.

suprarx7nut;1765863 said:
I really dont like the stock headlights on the mk3, but fitting good, worthwhile replacements is a huge pain. I'm still waiting for some really good, really compact HID's to come along that fit into the stock headlight area without having to hack away the radiator support.

*cough* I've done it. (and still do it when I have the time)

p1765876_1.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Poodles;1765876 said:
Plug and play low profile isn't possible. I've spent several years trying to design such a kit, all will require modifications that aren't reversable or replacement of the entire assembly at a rediculous cost.

p1765878_1.jpg

Yeah, and I do love your kit. I was referring more to a low profile or flush kit though. If I give up on the lower profile attempt and decide the $100 Halogen Hella H4 kit isn't good enough I'll be throwing some money your way... :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles will have some money coming his way from me sometime next year, I can't have a badass looking Mk3 without ample lighting... we don't believe in street lights, or any sort of ambient light out here in the sticks.

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
Rodel and i believe nick have low profiles. I myself have same setup(hella 90mm). I havent driven car yet so couldnt tell you difference between stock and the 90's but from what ive seen from testing i think its gonna be pretty nice. Have a hid conversion waiting to go on them too.. I also had flushmounts also (custom cf buckets). It does take some modifications for it to work and look good but if your willing to tackle the project its worth it. The low profiles allow for bigger lighting system so its gets a much better light than the flushmounts. Which dont have mouch room at all. There are a few threads in here that you can look at that have decent amount of pics though. good luck

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
[video=youtube;rzNqTatHE5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzNqTatHE5E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;5RaigKzlgIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RaigKzlgIE[/video]

if a 240sx can do it....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nerfkhat;1769721 said:
Rodel and i believe nick have low profiles. I myself have same setup(hella 90mm). I havent driven car yet so couldnt tell you difference between stock and the 90's but from what ive seen from testing i think its gonna be pretty nice. Have a hid conversion waiting to go on them too.. I also had flushmounts also (custom cf buckets). It does take some modifications for it to work and look good but if your willing to tackle the project its worth it. The low profiles allow for bigger lighting system so its gets a much better light than the flushmounts. Which dont have mouch room at all. There are a few threads in here that you can look at that have decent amount of pics though. good luck

The 90mm units aren't bad. But if you're going to go HID with them, you need to get the HID version of them, or your performance is going to be subpar. There's far better projectors out there though.

ms07s;1769728 said:
[video=youtube;rzNqTatHE5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzNqTatHE5E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;5RaigKzlgIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RaigKzlgIE[/video]

if a 240sx can do it....

Looks like crap. Bad output, blue HID's, and big gaping holes around the projectors. I could do that too, but nobody would buy them.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
pretty much a custom job that you can do your self or pay $$$$$ and pretty much the more $ and time u put in the better it will come out. and as grim said its a PITA to do it yourself

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
nerfkhat;1769854 said:
Which ones do you have? those are nice and output is nice too. Yea the time put into was well worth it in my opinion.

build them myself as a prototype when i have money to throw ill build a better quality one. but i am very happy with the result :)

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Poodles;1765876 said:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/viru52000/Projector%20Headlights/IMGP8203.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Which projectors and bezels did you use?

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I used 3 pairs of Hella Optilux 1100 Series Projector Fog Lights. I get tons of light output, much brighter, lower, and wider then the crap stock lights. I did them over a weekend for around $125. there fully adjustable and require some modifcation of the stock parts but I had no trouble doing the rework.

2010-04-20 00.08.55.JPG

2010-04-20 00.09.31.jpg

I came up with a formula to calculate the distance from pivot to ball mount required to get the desired hight when it comes time to change them. I will look for where i wrote it down.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nerfkhat;1769828 said:
Actually you can convert them to use d2s and its pretty good output. You can even tune it even more by redoing the shields inside.

take a look.. I have done a fair share of hid mods on my other car by modding projectors and shields..

http://firehawk.jonbroomfield.com/hidinfo/

No, the entire headlight is different. Reflector bowl, sheild, bulb holder... Keep in mind you can buy the D2S version for ~$160 a piece and buy ballasts and bulbs for cheap.

redrocco;1769873 said:
I used 3 pairs of Hella Optilux 1100 Series Projector Fog Lights. I get tons of light output, much brighter, lower, and wider then the crap stock lights. I did them over a weekend for around $125. there fully adjustable and require some modifcation of the stock parts but I had no trouble doing the rework.

View attachment 53137

View attachment 53138

I came up with a formula to calculate the distance from pivot to ball mount required to get the desired hight when it comes time to change them. I will look for where i wrote it down.

Sorry, but fog lights don't have the throw of headlights. You think it's brighter because your foreground is super bright, but that's great if you're only going 10MPH.