just joined the 1uz club

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Yep, I finally dropped the cash and got it!!
p1429419_1.jpg

p1429419_2.jpg

I'm planning on getting it installed by the end of the month. Plus I plan on documenting everyhting on here that way it's a lot easier for anyone else that wants to do the same

and here's the swapee victim.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

My plans for now are to stick with everything on the motor just as is and drop it in.
But, my plans for the future include a megasquirt and a Holset HX40!

Last edited:

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
So, first things first. I'm going to do a leak down and a compression check. But after that I neeed to figure out mounting. The car is a super early 89, So the harness and subframe are different that you'd expect. the subframe is the pre-89 style, So I'm going to have to fab some mounts at the shop. I plan on doing the first set loosely based off of 1uzsupra.com's design. It's kinda janky, but it's somewhere to start from.
Then it's wiring time. Once again since the car is a bastard early 89 the wiring harness is kind of between 88 and 89. Which has made past projects with this car problematic. Hopefully I'll be able to get a lot of answers here because definately where i have the most questions.
after I have it up and running and smogged (smognazilandcalifornia), I'm going to megasquirt it and drop in the holset hx-40. But don't expect that to happen any time soon!

Last edited:

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
I was seriously thinking about rebuilding the starter just because if it's lame location.

But anyway, I found a R154 for a good deal tonight from one of the local mkiv guys, sooo there's another part I'll have to get going in the next 2 weeks..... I'm feeling pessimistic about the time frame right now..... But happy about scoring the r154.......

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
I did a 1uz swap into my 1988 toyota pickup so if you have any questions PM me. Also seems like you have a SC400 block there. For that R154 to bolt up you will need a custom flywheel which you can find some people of lextreme forums to sell you one. The adapter plans can be bought for about 20 bucks for either a W58 or R154.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
iceberg319;1429435 said:
good luck with the swap, a buddy of mine jus completed his......if you have any questions maybe you should ask him

viper92086
And your friend is?

gennro;1429848 said:
I did a 1uz swap into my 1988 toyota pickup so if you have any questions PM me. Also seems like you have a SC400 block there. For that R154 to bolt up you will need a custom flywheel which you can find some people of lextreme forums to sell you one. The adapter plans can be bought for about 20 bucks for either a W58 or R154.

I already purchased the plans, But I'm going to be making some moderate changes to their plate. Partially to accomodate the specific hydraulic throwout that I'm thinking of using. (more info wil come later)
I got the R154 today, The guy also threw in a mr2 flywheel. I read somewhere that people are modifying them for this application so I'm hoping I can find out more info about what has to been done to make them work. I might also figure this out on my own tomarrow when I get everything seperated.

and yes, the engine came out of a low mileage US model 1994 SC400. I was able to carfax the vin tags on the engine. :)

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
I know people have been welding the 3SGTE flywheels and redrilling the holes to fit a 1UZ

4U2QUIK;1430909 said:
And your friend is?

I already purchased the plans, But I'm going to be making some moderate changes to their plate. Partially to accomodate the specific hydraulic throwout that I'm thinking of using. (more info wil come later)
I got the R154 today, The guy also threw in a mr2 flywheel. I read somewhere that people are modifying them for this application so I'm hoping I can find out more info about what has to been done to make them work. I might also figure this out on my own tomarrow when I get everything seperated.

and yes, the engine came out of a low mileage US model 1994 SC400. I was able to carfax the vin tags on the engine. :)

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
gennro;1430937 said:
I know people have been welding the 3SGTE flywheels and redrilling the holes to fit a 1UZ

Yeah, they're already lightened from the factory compared to the R154 flywheel, and you can still use the R154 clutch and pressure plates. The MR2 definately looks like a good candidate for redrilling, which should be no problem to take care of.

IJ.;1430940 said:
All the cool guys are going V8 ;)
and this cool guy is planning on making a full swap kit after he's driven the car for awhile.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
a little bit of an update..... and a side note....
I'm nearly finished designing my custom adaptor plate, but I don't have the howe throwout bearing to figure out how much it needs to be spaced out from the transmission housing. Does anyone happen to know this number off hand?

the side note is that I got ahold of a t56 6 speed transmission bellhousing off a corvette and blueprinted it.....

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
4U2QUIK;1433206 said:
I'm nearly finished designing my custom adaptor plate, but I don't have the howe throwout bearing to figure out how much it needs to be spaced out from the transmission housing. Does anyone happen to know this number off hand?

the side note is that I got ahold of a t56 6 speed transmission bellhousing off a corvette and blueprinted it.....

Nice, welcome to the club, :). I would think the T56 would be a sweet tranny to put behind a 1UZ, that is something worth pursuing. Please do keep up the updates, I'm still torn on how to fab the mounts. Another member Viper...(something) just cut the subframe mounts and basically rotated them to work with the factory 1UZ engine mount. I figured that would be easy, but regular swap mounts would just be a convenience. Good luck! Also, hit up lextreme, good people there if you need any parts or info.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
4U2QUIK;1433206 said:

Why use a Howe when the T56 came with a factory hydraulic throwout bearing?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
4U2QUIK;1433356 said:
because I'm using a r154 not a t56. I just happened to make prints for future use. and also another project that a friend is doing... something involving a 5.8 liter toyota motor......

In that case, why use a howe when you can use the factory AR5 throwout bearing and front bearing retainer?