Is it possible to convert my88 mk3 coupe to a sports roof ?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
There's every once in awhile I wish I had a targa. Prom and the fourth of July come to mind. But usually I'd prefer a hardtop

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
hvyman;1842014 said:
Targas are a pain in every which way. Seem cool. But are a pain.
While it is a pain, I can think of only a handful of times I've driven with the targa on. Then again, I drove a dark blue Dakota with no AC in Arkansas for a summer, windows down FTW! Of course, my car is almost entirely used for cruising on the street, with very occasional spirited driving. If I was building a race car, hard top all the way. And as much as I love my targa, it would never be worth trying to convert.
-AM3

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it popped off it would be a lot better. But to go 3miles to work or a buddy's it's not worth the hassle of taking it off.
ESP if people are in the back seat. Everyone complains about all the wind.

On a hot day it makes it worse with the sun beating down on you.

People aren't nice enough 95% of the places I go to not put it back on if I leave it somewhere with it off and I live in oc.

Doesn't leak when I drive in the rain but if it sits in the rain I get a little wet.

Targa cars are heavier in an already heavy car.

Just what I can think of.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Pussies. I love my hardtop, and I love my targas. A targa will never be a hardtop and a hardtop will never be a targa. Each have their pros and cons, but neither is a substitute for the other.

Taking off the targa is worth the effort in my opinion.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RazoE;1842057 said:
Pussies. I love my hardtop, and I love my targas. A targa will never be a hardtop and a hardtop will never be a targa. Each have their pros and cons, but neither is a substitute for the other.

Taking off the targa is worth the effort in my opinion.
I'm with him, but I think we're in the minority of people blessed enough to have both. :)

Biggest thing, at least for me, is that driving with the targa off is enough to clear my head after a rough or stressful day at work. It just makes things all better by the time I get home. That is pretty much the only aspect I'll miss. I won't miss the chassis flex (even with a partial cage), the windshield wobble, the car peeing on me when it rains or snows, etc...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
hvyman;1842054 said:
If it popped off it would be a lot better. But to go 3miles to work or a buddy's it's not worth the hassle of taking it off.
ESP if people are in the back seat. Everyone complains about all the wind.

On a hot day it makes it worse with the sun beating down on you.

People aren't nice enough 95% of the places I go to not put it back on if I leave it somewhere with it off and I live in oc.

Doesn't leak when I drive in the rain but if it sits in the rain I get a little wet.

Targa cars are heavier in an already heavy car.

Just what I can think of.

I honestly could not have said it better.. it's way more of an annoyance, especially here in Florida.