Is it possible to convert my88 mk3 coupe to a sports roof ?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
A. Jay;1839252 said:
Must be that "keep it in the brand" crap.
Never quite understood that myself... if you have an idea for a good engine, it's a good engine. Except for Fords. (KIDDING PEOPLE)

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward putting a 1uz or 2j in the 46... They're cheap enough and would make enough power easily, in relatively stock form. :)

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
IJ.;1839243 said:
Why do you think/feel a UZ is the way to go?

An LS will be 2 litres bigger capacity, not much heavier at all, it's narrower and only 50mm/2" longer, it's also been done a few times, I had mine in the Mk3 with a T04z and even at 3psi it was a weapon.

Add to that cheap available and an enormous Aftermarket it's a no brainer, you can count the successful builds here over the last 5>10 years on your hands and feet, any idiot can assemble an LS they're NOT complicated ;)

I just like the UZ, because it is something different than just throwing a LS into the engine bay. It would be easy to assemble and get parts for a LS true, but I think it would take a bit of work to get it into the engine bay. Maybe I am wrong on that part tho since you said it is narrower. I never knew you had a LS in your MKIII, build thread link? I would like to check it out. Maybe become a little less ignorant about the swap.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
emericaskater285;1839367 said:
I just like the UZ, because it is something different than just throwing a LS into the engine bay. It would be easy to assemble and get parts for a LS true, but I think it would take a bit of work to get it into the engine bay. Maybe I am wrong on that part tho since you said it is narrower. I never knew you had a LS in your MKIII, build thread link? I would like to check it out. Maybe become a little less ignorant about the swap.
I pulled all the info down after crashing the car sorry..

It's a pretty easy swap and has so much more potential than an UZ swap (A bud here has an SC400 with a blower so I'm able to make a valid comparison)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
What sort of manual transmission setup would you hook to the back of an LS in one of these? GM trans? R154 with adapter?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nick M;1839475 said:
I am all for an LSx swap, especially an actual aluminum LS block.

lsx407.jpg

lsx408.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I still need to pick your brain on that heat shielding you did there Ian... Looks quite nice, and I suspect there's a good reason you used that much of it.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
te72;1839702 said:
I still need to pick your brain on that heat shielding you did there Ian... Looks quite nice, and I suspect there's a good reason you used that much of it.

550whp, daily-driven, it's hot in a land down under, and overkill is underrated? :)

I've always considered IJ's build as the right way to "throw an LS into the engine bay", and I think that definitely made it different.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
te72;1839702 said:

Plastic manifold, + hot pipe going over it = DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!11

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Heat was a huge issue even with all the shielding... :(

Would never go Turbo again, a Blower on the other hand like the one Random used in his currect build ;)
(back when I did the LS swap into the Supra we did discuss going blown but as I had the brand new T04z there....)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hey, if you've got it laying around... but if not, I would probably prefer the blower route, if ONLY for the packaging aspects. :)

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
15732524_large.jpg

not sure if the non targa have this inner quarter panel structure...

but this photo shows some of the additional bracing