I was just given a Supra...now what? Now with pics!

What should I do with the free Supra

• Drive it into the ground

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Restore it, keep it stock

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Motor swap!

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Part it out

Votes: 23 30.3%

• Total voters

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
giterboosted;1389248 said:
for the record, my na is pretty quick for an na lead sled, and its real power comes around 4 or a lil after

and just my two cents. i have an 87 turbo hard top and a 90 targa na, and that na is awesome as heck when the turbo is down or is being worked on, its just a pure joy to be able to drive a supra around when your beast is being pampered or medicated so to speak lol, plus the interior on my turbo car is eh, its ok, but my targa is amazing, its the white package as well, but with aftermarket wheels and blue interior, i just dolled it up with exhaust and intake and left it alone, just something to enjoy

food for thought

exactly..!

My 89 Targa white-package is my project car. It's a base 5-speed NA->7MGTE swapped, OEM LSD (only option the car came with), 3 inch recirculated divorced BIC downpipe, full IC hard-pipes, Spearco replica intercooler, 3 inch exhaust with test pipe, and an HKS SSQV BOV. I also have lots of JDM/Euro parts like euro mirrors, JDM taillights, genuine bomex side skirts, bomex replica rear, KevinM signal covers, CF hood, Shine front lip, Keiichi Tsuchiya Modia rims, etc etc....

My black 92 hard-top is my DD, with purely cosmetic mods, TRD shiftknob, pre 89 eurosignals, JDM style fogs, and JDM bubble markers with LED's all around. I have euro folding mirrors for it, but they're currently being painted by my brother in law.

and the 86.5 is sorta the in-between. Only "performance" mod is a magnaflow muffler with one of the resonators removed. But it has a sport package, 5-speed targa, TEMS, and it's the lightest of all the years so it's very peppy. Mods on that include JDM bubble markers, clear front signals, genuine JDM fogs, 89+ wing, taillights and mirrors. JDM TT-R steering wheel, and a pre 89 bomex 3 hole lip...

That said, it's fun to have options. Unfortunately it's not all happy sun-shine..

I'm still paying back my dad/credit card company for my 92+ engine swap as it had a BHG, my 89 needs a rebuilt turbo, and a few other mods, nothing vital, but i'd hate to risk it. Finally, the 86.5 runs pig rich, and always seem to have a flat every other weekend...:nono:

My 89 and 86.5 both need new tires, so we'll see soon....

forgot to mention the xB, now there's another mouth to feed..:aigo:

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Lol...

Just went outside to show a friend the gift supra. He noted the coolant dripping out of the overflow. We checked inside...exxon valdez oil slick in there. This is ... what... my 4th Supra BHG? Now it's just funnay.

We can now rule out a couple options on the poll. I vowed to never crack open another 7M and it could die any day now.

kasonw, this may work out well for you.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Part it out and use the funds for your project supra, theres always
guys looking for used oem parts like me!!!

a 90 is a popular partout also....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
limequat;1387519 said:
Rocks to drive with the targa off again, though. Why isn't this standard on all cars?

Because some of us like the solid squeak-free rigidity of a hardtop, and an unmolested, sleek and sexy roof line. ;)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
A good rust free body is far important than good mechanicals or even the rest of the car (interior and what have you) being 'tidy'.

If it's anything over there like it is here, finding a rust free Supra is getting harder by the day. If the shell is good either keep it or sell it onto somebody who is going to make use of it.

Personally I would just sell it, as much as I like Supras, I couldn't justify having two.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
This is odd.

Just did a compression test. I'm still considering changing the headgasket, and wanted to make sure the engine is healthy if I chose to do so. Here's the numbers:

So...is 205 "low"? Should I look for it to come even higher with oil?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
limequat;1391008 said:
This is odd.

Just did a compression test. I'm still considering changing the headgasket, and wanted to make sure the engine is healthy if I chose to do so. Here's the numbers:

So...is 205 "low"? Should I look for it to come even higher with oil?

Try and see you never know.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Long overdue pics...

p1391025_1.jpg

p1391025_2.jpg

p1391025_3.jpg

p1391025_4.jpg

p1391025_5.jpg

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Looks like a good candidate for an engine/turbo swap. I'd sell it to someone who wants to revive it. I ddrove my n/a and kept my '90T for a project. Unfortunately, I had to sell my n/a as I ended up in a place with only one parking spot. Now I'm down to one pit.