How much have you spent on your MkIII

tjzyx

Oct 3, 2010
Delaware
BOOSTEDSUPRA;1770319 said:
and to comment on flateric's, the supra was intended to compete with the vettes, but i agree, i cannot think of any forein car...american build was the 3.1 i think it was turbo v-6 that went in the cyclone, typhoon, Gn and GNX, gta trans am pace cars

Typhoon, Syclone= 4.3 V6 (350 minus two cylinders)
Grand nationals and GTA= 3.8 Buick V6

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
BOOSTEDSUPRA;1770319 said:
and to comment on flateric's, the supra was intended to compete with the vettes, but i agree, i cannot think of any forein car...american build was the 3.1 i think it was turbo v-6 that went in the cyclone, typhoon, Gn and GNX, gta trans am pace cars

The Firebird/TA also got a turbo 305 (301?) in the early 80's as well.

Flateric, I say as a general statement that the majority of Supra owners are impatient, but I think Grandavi pretty much summed it up. Any Supra is a test of dedication to its new owner. ;)

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
te72;1770999 said:
The Firebird/TA also got a turbo 305 (301?) in the early 80's as well.

Flateric, I say as a general statement that the majority of Supra owners are impatient, but I think Grandavi pretty much summed it up. Any Supra is a test of dedication to its new owner. ;)

You can insert stupidity where he says dedication! :icon_bigg

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
ohhh thats right!!!! i remember now. my neibor while i was growing up had a typhoon, and i remember my buddy and i seeing him screem down the street when he would pounce on it saying outloud.. damn it that thing shits and gets. looking back that was a major understatment.

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
I bought my first Supra 1988 turbo auto with 225k miles for $1,200, I have had it for 3 year and it now has almost 300k miles. The only money I have put into it in 3 years was spent on brakes, crank seal and normal tune ups. I would estimate a total of $2,000 including buying the car so I don't see why they are so expensive.

On the other hand I also have a 1990 turbo 5spd. that I bought with a spun bearing for $700 as a project. Then I picked up a donor 87 for $500 that had a rebuilt motor but the rust had taken over so the guy gave up on it. I have put more money into the 90 but still not alot really. I have spent a total of $2,500 on parts but if I had bought everything brand new and not off people hard up I would probably have closer to $6,000 in parts. I am hoping to be done before I hit $10,000 but I know I won't be.

They are worth every penny as long as you are still having fun with them.

Apollonius

Feb 5, 2008
Houston, TX
I actually made an excel doc tracking how much and from where.... Hit 20k and stopped wanting to update it lol.

Sadly that is parts only and does not include fluids/maintence related items/ or tools (had none before i bought a supra).

All of it worth it despite approaching 3 years of not being able to drive it.

Last edited:

1SLOMK3

Dec 4, 2010
Arizona
Bought the car for 1500. About 7.5K for the rebuild, turbo, radiator, oil cooler, greddy type s, rims, suspension, wiring and some other stuff.. still need new tires

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I keep track because my car is insured as an "antique - collectible", so the appraisal is the value of the car. Im at the point now though that unless the car value spikes.. anything I put into it wont be recouped if someone toasts the car.. lol. (my biggest fear)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You get the appraised value + 1500.00 for parts with the insurance I have. Im not sure of the differences between companies. If the car is appraised for 10,000.. you get 10,000. Mind you, it costs me less than 10.00 per month for it.

OKay You all are gonna hate me for sayin this, BUt My mk3???

1987 auto 7mgte performance block overhauled turbo, 8psi practically stock 3 inch downpipe and 3" exhaust.

I Traded my 4runner for it, a couple months ago, and the alarm tripped the starter and ignition because a alarm sensor went out, so i removed the factory alarm, and the fog lights had a missing fuse, so I did the fog light mod and plugged a wire into a 12v fuse in the fuse box under the dash, and I replaced the battery.

I WAx it, polish the crappy blue paint, Might paint it powder coated ARMY GREEN, the trim around the windows is peeling, and THAT is all. Minor work .

I just take care of my supra, and nothing will go wrong. Vacuum the interior, take a tooth brush to all the nooks, and cranny's and scrub the entire car down, then detail it, and take good care of it, wash those stock rims thoroughly, and it will behave like a well tempered Supra should have behaved in 1987.

The spring in my fuel door broke do I gotta head over to the dealership to get that 5 DOLLA part. LOVE it so much, definitely worth the trade of my beautiful lifted white 4runner.

It was the cleanest 4runner... Ever.
SO Much money put into that thing it was brand new 1994 toyota 4runner v6 lifted auto had mild power, and took 14 seconds to hit 60mph, I stomped on it so much, it threw the rod knock in my face.
But I will admit that thing lasted with the rod knock forever..

I mean, it knocked for years, and years, and didnt get worse Literally, barely got louder. Beautiful cars and SUV's and trucks THE TOYOTAS are. I love my supra, and the fact that I can stomp on this all the time with my performance short block, and overhauled turbo.

THat is really all you need, And the ARP studs and bolts, and You are set for life. Crank up the performance with upgrades. As soon as I get a job, I am dumping all the money i can into upgrades for this baby.

And I will donate 10% to my offering at church! and My little brother needs a supra too because We fit his stand up base into the sports Car too! HAHahha He is pro, plays stand up base for Tacoma Youth Symphony and Stadium high school, Best school in WAShington, they filmed 10 things I hate about you there.

But YA,

How much money was put into this car!??!??

By me ??? 200$ in two months, easy easy easy. FAster than most rigs on the road.

and how much was put in before I bought it???

$6000. sometimes Craigslist has them reliable and built ready to go!

I was skeptical about buying it at first with no pictures. I asked him to text me pictures, it was ugly dirty stock never been detailed, blue, nasty interior.

I waxed polished and shampood the interior at a coin op car wash where they have shampoo machines, and it is like brand new,
except blemishes in the paint, on the roof, but people are like, DEEEaaamm that kid just needs paint rims and a body kit and it;ll be freshhhh.

It looks cool with its rough look though I will admit, Sexiest cars if you really take care of them about 3 times a week spend some time with your car, and do the fog light mod, or put in high performance bulbs, or buy a turbo kit with a gt45 turbo!

and GO fOR 500HP's! ALL THE WAY, FIX THE SUPRAS! MArket and advertise our cars because they are the shit!
Lol so ya $200 in 2 months. I love driving, and only like the supra. I want a mkIV Twinturbo soon. When I design video games

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
^Forgot paragraph structure? I can say, 99% of users won't read your post because of one reason, it's all mushed together.

Separate it.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Grandavi;1774828 said:
You get the appraised value + 1500.00 for parts with the insurance I have. Im not sure of the differences between companies. If the car is appraised for 10,000.. you get 10,000. Mind you, it costs me less than 10.00 per month for it.

Buddy just got his covered for 20k and pays like $50 a month

Grandavi;1770351 said:
In answer to Flateric, I cant think of a single one. However, I bought the Supra at the tail end of my "owning cars" lifetime. I considered m
The Supra (for me the MKIII) is a totally worthwhile endeavour.. and other than my wife.. I have not met anyone who doesnt envy me owning mine. I think that says a bit.

Yes ... you are 100% correct.
I am 21 years old and addicted to the searching for Toyota Supra's on the road is because these cars are extremely unique, and eye catching, just like lifted 4runners. I absolutely enjoy my 1987 auto turbo Supra. It gives me something to look forward to every morning when I get to luckily drive this beauty. Plus, I look forward to fixing it up to be extremely fast and fun.

this is my first Mk3 Supra, and it only needs minor improvements, and about $3000 in performance upgrades to stomp almost every crappy car on the road.

These cars last forever, and the more that people work on them and fix them, the longer they will survive. I want to contribute to the Toyota Imports and help save and improve the Supras. There is no other feeling than the feeling you get when you drive a supra.

A subaru STI is BORING compared to the ride in a supra. The Mustang is a mass produced cake of crap that everybody has, and there is nothing unique about a mustang except the crashes that they get in.

A SUPRA is the most respectable car on the market. When A driver sees a real well taken care of supra on the road, they get a feeling of luck, because they just saw the most unique and rare car flash in front of their eyes, and they face the fact that the vehicle they are driving is lame sauce.

I see it all the time, people put me up to the test when I am in my supra, and when I fly away, people are happy to see me driving my dream vehicle.

New plastic cars are budget cars and are as convenient as a napkin, or paper plate, or a plastic fork. What are the owners gonna do when their plastic car breaks down. They will face the blinking light while parked on the side of the freeway, and say goodbye to the garbage. A total let down to see the world buying these cars made of plastic that will last for 7 years, and sell near to nothing and be worth nothing in the long run.

Supras are beautiful fast fun cars.

Last edited:

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
I've got 30K+ in mine , not including fluids and misc bolts and stuff. I'll maybe spend another 1-2000$ in tires and audio in the next year . But , for now , she's finished .

Unfortunately , if I could go back an do it again . I could build it for like 20K . Yes I wasted that much money because of IMPATIENCE ! My biggest mistake was letting someone else work on my car because I was in a hurry an paid people to help.Then they screw it up( cause they're not as anal as me) And I have to waste money and time fixing it ... Sigh

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
AnubisMK3;1910812 said:
Is a fuck ton more than a shit ton? If so how many shit tons does it take to make a fuck ton?

Do you realize you quoted a post from more than a year ago? Furthermore, did you realize the particular post you quoted is so far up the list of recent posts we can't see where the hell it's coming from? Haha.

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
Bought my 87' N/A for 3k with a recently rebuilt 7mge, minor repairs and some electrical work. Going for a 2jz swap twin upgrades, full body strip and repaint, interior, rims need to be blasted and powdercoated. I estimated the work over the next 2 years in the range of $22,000 to get my baby where i want her. I have friends in all the fields so labor on most will be inexpensive. In the end, Lexus blue paint, 3 pc spoiler, 89+ nose w/ bomex rears all new glass and trim, outfitted with carbon fiber, custom interior and around 500hp, then depending on budger ill move to standalone and switch out fuel components to get around 700whp. Cant wait to bring her to some meets :p