How much have you spent on your MkIII

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
xms;1769178 said:
I'm at 18k without the wheels, that i just spent another 3200.00 on, okay I'm definitely depress now :(

Don't feel bad man, the stance and look those wheels gave your car could very well be what makes a difference. Pricey for sure, but they're gorgeous, and fit the car quite nicely. I don't even like 19's, but you've made them work without looking silly.

honestabe;1769180 said:
I'm somewhere over $50k. About $10-11k this year, $8k last year and another $7K the year before. Mind you I've redone a few things along the way (got about $3k into my headlights alone) and I've had some major problems and set backs the last 3 years. Reality of it, I've stopped counting and I don't have a large chunk of the receipts I should have. My wife has finally put me on a $600 every 3 month budget for the Supra and I've already spent half of that in a the first month alone.

If you were to ask me was all the money and time spent worth it, I'd reply with a very happy "yup!"
$600 every 3 months? So... $200 per month, $2400 per year? At least from the sounds of it, you're a lot further along with the car than I am, it would take FOREVER to finish what I've started if I had to stick to that budget.

Grandavi;1769280 said:
unfortunately.. you dont learn that until your swimming in the pool.
I think 90% of the problem with Mk3's is a general lack of patience by the people that buy them. I mean, I've been a Supra owner for nearly 6 years now, and my pinnacle has still been a relatively stock 1j with a decent suspension and tire setup. No more, no less. Had I been smarter with my money over the years, I probably could be done with my ideal Mk3 by now, but as it is, I'm still a couple years out I think.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Around $6k. $300 for the car to begin with and north from there with the crate engine, rebuilt turbo, new carpet, new exhaust, and on and on and on. By the time I'm done (including paint), I'll probably have about $10k invested in cash. Personal time invested in putting her back in good running order I don't even want to think about (though I'm currently sitting at 3.5 years).

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Body kits/Custom Fabs/Paint: 10,000
Engine Upgrades/Electronics/Swaps NA-T: 20,000
System Upgrades/Interior Upgrade: 10,000
Wheels/Tires: 3,500

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T701jz;1769639 said:

I would think the above is pretty well a guideline with the exception of the Engine upgrade and system/interior. Done properly you can probably cut that in half if you start out with the correct plan. Unfortunately.. those that keep with the entire project will probably meet that cost in the end. :)

... and be damn happy.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
T701jz;1769639 said:

Suspension?

and $10K on the interior and stereo? Your car must have marble floors and gold plated speakers! lol.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
rodel;1770089 said:
It doesnt take a lot of money to build a decent Supra.

Ummm... no, but the factors are pretty rigid. Either you got a lot of skill and free time (and equipment) or you travel the money pit. And... there is a difference between "decent" Supra.. and your Supra. I have truly tried to plan and whittle the $$ down to make my car what I want and not break the bank, however.. I find that I have a few problems...

1. I dont have the time I need to do the work (unless I want this to be a 30 year project)
2. I wont cut corners unless its accidental (I didn't know better) or I cant see a better way of doing it
3. I dont have any body skills at all, cant weld, am a mediocre mechanic (I do a mean oil change, though...) and trust myself half as much as most shops I go to...
4. I want the car to match the picture in my head.

All of that combined = $$...

If I wanted to save money, I would have bought a new Chrysler...

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
I have about 25k into mine and have about 3k left on my shopping list....I look at this car as a education. When i bought this car i knew nothing! I have done all the work myself and while i have had to fix things i screwed up, i feel confident to work on almost anything and have now worked at many shops and some performance shops all from experience i gained from this car. And really i could car less about all that, I still love the feeling of rolling in my 24 year old jap car laying down 500whp knowing that no one can touch me! (except gurley as of late..lol)

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm curious......everyone always says, supra owners arn't patient enough, don't do things right, supra's cost so much more than other cars.......

But do they really? If I had bought a similar car in 1990, I dunno what would be an equivalent boosted car from that year? And gone through all the same upgrades/attained the same power gains relative to stock. Would I really have spent way less?

I know this is hardly a typical example, but I personally can't name another vehicle that could take over 450hp for 15 years of it's lifespan through the stock powertain for that length of time. Nevermind at all AND be put through regular drag racing and general shit and abuse that I have ....

WITHOUT A SINGLE REBUILD or upgrade until just now my tranny is begining to complain as is my diff. But a corvette from 1990 (although not boosted so clearly not a fair comparison, i believe boosted cars in general are more expensive in every way to own/keep/upgrade/keep running at those higher performance levels)

But seriously, I would be interested in a no biased opinion here on something similar from any auto manufacturor showing costs etc. Cheaper or not, I honestly don't clearly know this answer. Anyone?

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
and to comment on flateric's, the supra was intended to compete with the vettes, but i agree, i cannot think of any forein car...american build was the 3.1 i think it was turbo v-6 that went in the cyclone, typhoon, Gn and GNX, gta trans am pace cars

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In answer to Flateric, I cant think of a single one. However, I bought the Supra at the tail end of my "owning cars" lifetime. I considered many as well, vettes, older Camaros, Firebirds, etc (pre-70) and considered a new car (there are some "spiffy" ones out there), but in the end, I just remember all my multitude of cars I have owned. My first car was a 72 Corolla and I owned a few of them and then graduated to Celicas. Then 6 kids forced me into Mini-vans with the Odyssey. Throughout I have owned all different kinds (foreign and domestic) and I have never been happier than when I drove Toyotas. For me personally, thats the brand.

When I went to buy the Supra, I wanted a MKII originally, but failing to find one that suited my needs, I stumbled on a MKIII. Of all the Supra models, this one just seems to be the most perfect for my tastes and the turbo/targa was a bonus that I didn't even consider at first. However, I am not by any means "young".. as I edge 50 now... so comfort wise, the car is pretty close to being perfect, albeit it is a sports car. I believe the bulk of MKIII owners are initially young (pre-25) and buy them for the looks/power/status of the Supra name. Then they meet the demons and we can go out and pick them up for very cheap (which is another attraction for the young crowd). However, in the end, those of us who love the car and want it to be better than original end up spending as much as we would on a new car.

Now.. when I go out shopping for a new car (and I do occasionally.. just to see what they are producing..), even with all the bells and whistles and their advertised 300+HP... I see a lot of things I dont like about them. One being the fact that they are all meant to be driven a lot and be low maintenance until the 5-7 year mark. Then they are thrown in the jelly bean jar with all the rest of the jelly beans and their value is shot to hell and the repairs are just the same as what we face on building our cars.

I think that if you are a true Supra owner, you chose to be because
a. They are unique. (face it.. every time I hit the road I get people following me, the pump-jockeys have to always do the "walk-around" and I cant go on the highway without a car pulling up beside me to either "thumbs-up" or "lets go!".
b. They have potential. Choose what you want.. and build it. The car facilitates you.
c. They are unique. Did I mention that?

There are definitely "better" cars to buy out there (less headache), provided you understand how to maintain a car.. but there are very few of our cars on the road. 20,000 - 80,000 into it... to me.. is totally worth it. If you go for broke and pump a whole whack of $$ and time into the car, you will know whats under your butt pushing you along on the roadway.. you wont be staring at a car with a blinking light wondering.. "well.. wtf... ".

The Supra (for me the MKIII) is a totally worthwhile endeavour.. and other than my wife.. I have not met anyone who doesnt envy me owning mine. I think that says a bit.