How hot do the manifold get?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
I'm inquiring a local company to paint some parts for me on my engine rebuild. He said their powdercoating with stands temps of 1200 degrees and their ceraminc coating with stands temps of 1300 degrees. I was thinking ceramic coating could withstand more than 100 degree more?

Well the real question is... What temps do the exhaust/ intake manifolds get to? I was already planing on getting the exhaust manifold heat shields painted in ceramics but can I do the same with the manifold itself?

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
While on the dyno I used one of the little hand held guns that tells you how hot someting is and my exhaust manifold was about 800degrees @ one point. That was the hottest I remember it getting. I"m not saying that it doesn't get hotter, that's just what mine was at.

You can probably google the info quicker. Good luck.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You should use a 2000 F deg rated ceramic coating...unless you want it to flake/crack ;)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
to answer the original question, the manifold can get up to 1400F+ (glowing red) depending on how long you are boosting for. 2000F coating is the way to go.