Mods

HKS SMF inatake
Custom intake pipe
Ported & Polished head
Port matched intake manifold
HKS MHG 1mm
MSD wires
MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 6A box (Finally picked it up from my friend today!!)
Pacesetter Header w/ 3inch downpipe
3 inch exhaust all the way back w/ test pipe (I can remove the test pipe with 4 bolts and put in a cat when it is emission time)
Aluminum One piece drive shaft

The internals are stock. I just picked up a low mileage engine from a place called Japanese Engines, then I ripped it apart and sent the head and block off to Chix machine shop. There was material removed from the head and the block but I don't have the exact amounts sitting in from of me right now, they are written down at work where I am putting everything together. I rebuilt it with the help of one of the master techs at work with new stock bearings, piston rings and bolts. ( I wish I had the money for ARP bolts :3d_frown: )
How much did all that run you?

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
AGlobalThreat said:
Well until I see proof, I don't believe it. I would hope to have 185 rwhp with my mods when I was NA and I had a bit more than him.

Tanya, my hard drive crashed on my server :(. EVERYTHING was lost, HD shop couldn't repair it. Allllllll my files including my car pics, are gone, all my records, everything, gone. :(
Well FYI your NA engine comes from the factory with 200 HP and the turbo comes with 220 HP. Yes,it is possible to get 250 + HP out of your NA. My NA has beat stock turbo Supras. I have owned 7 NA 's and just recently purchased my first turbo. I am building the engine right now. If you were trying to reach 185 RHP I guess you were doing something extremely wrong:3d_frown: ...LOL!!!!!!! PS it does not cost lots of cash either if you do it on your own... If you really want more BANG for the buck go turbo... NA-T is a Hassle. You should get you facts straight before you make commets????

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
canadianbacon said:
Well FYI your NA engine comes from the factory with 200 HP and the turbo comes with 220 HP. Yes,it is possible to get 250 + HP out of your NA. My NA has beat stock turbo Supras. I have owned 7 NA 's and just recently purchased my first turbo. I am building the engine right now. If you were trying to reach 185 RHP I guess you were doing something extremely wrong:3d_frown: ...LOL!!!!!!! PS it does not cost lots of cash either if you do it on your own... If you really want more BANG for the buck go turbo... NA-T is a Hassle. You should get you facts straight before you make commets????

i think he was talkin at the wheels not flywheel and i think you could be a little more pleasent with your comments this is not supraforums we dont do the get your facts straight answer and then ask questions here ;)

TRACKMKIII

Banned
Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta,GA
Jervis Mcstabby said:
How much did all that run you?

I got a lot of really good deals on things or I just traded things with people and some stuff was on the car when I got it. Out of pocket expense was probably about $1200-$1300 that included all of the MSD pieces, exhuast work, MHG, bearings, bolts piston rings and a good bit of the of the machine work. I did 2 timing belts and waterpumps for the rest of the machine work. I traded a motor for the driveshaft. The HKS SMF intake and the pacesetter header were already there when I got the car.

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
canadianbacon said:

200HP n/a

turbo motors 235 hp.

now, that is to the crank.

Take away from the driveline, about 15%.

wtf is up with the attitude aswell? lmao

bryank

Feb 28, 2006
Bournemouth, UK
A question guys... in the UK the GE is rated at 200hp in pre-cat models (1989 ish) . With cats it drops to 185hp. Both figures at the crank.

Removing the cat is one of the first mods done typically over here to gain the missing 15hp..

So am i guessing correctly that US models are actually 185bhp due to the cat(s)?

(I'll be putting together an upgraded GE before too long for the hell of it, as I have a GTE anyway...:icon_bigg )

Cheers,

Bryan

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
bryank said:
A question guys... in the UK the GE is rated at 200hp in pre-cat models (1989 ish) . With cats it drops to 185hp. Both figures at the crank.

How would the catalytic converter effect HP at the crank?? Makes no sense.

Also, I've never heard of any engine gaining 15hp by removing the cat.
I dyno'd (mkII remember) 132 stock, with cat... 144whp with exhaust, no cat.
That was only a 12whp gain with a header, 2.25" exhaust and no cat or EGR system.. so I feel that 185 rated crank hp is asinine.

Removing the cat is maybe a 2hp gain at best IMO.

bryank

Feb 28, 2006
Bournemouth, UK
Tanya said:

That was only a 12whp gain with a header, 2.25" exhaust and no cat or EGR system.. so I feel that 185 rated crank hp is asinine.

Hi, Apologies for any confusion. Dyno tested it was proven catted models were considerably down in power vs pre-cat models. Whilst both were 'offically' rated at the 200 bhp, the output to the wheels was considerably different.. Again this might be a UK thing as i suspect you guys never got a n/a without o2 sensor etc.. (permanent open loop ECU) which is why I was asking....:)

Cheers,

Bryan

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Tanya said:

Lots of cars here gained power simply by removing restrictive catalytic converters. They werent even put on cars here until the 1990's - and optional right upto 1992 when the emissions laws changed. Non-US market engines are far less restrictive. For example - the 2.8litre V6 engine that came in the Mustang, Bronco etc (12v OHV), in the US, produced 95hp, over in the UK - same engine was 160hp, simply through removing all the emissions shite :)

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
TRACKMKIII said:
I got a lot of really good deals on things or I just traded things with people and some stuff was on the car when I got it. Out of pocket expense was probably about $1200-$1300 that included all of the MSD pieces, exhuast work, MHG, bearings, bolts piston rings and a good bit of the of the machine work. I did 2 timing belts and waterpumps for the rest of the machine work. I traded a motor for the driveshaft. The HKS SMF intake and the pacesetter header were already there when I got the car.
I just would have went turbo for that much.

Also a N/a 2j makes a little less than turbo 7m.
220hp vs. ~232hp

K Spec

May 14, 2006
San Diego
JustAnotherVictim said:

220hp vs. ~232hp
Yeah. We like N/A. We bought N/A. Can get car with turbo, but get N/A.:eek:ffwall:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Tanya said:

Sure it does. The crank is the first place the power being made in the cylinders is put to work. Anything that reduces power output will have its effect first at the crank. But really, who uses "crank" HP anyway?

Did I misunderstand what your statement was about?

TRACKMKIII

Banned
Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta,GA
JustAnotherVictim said:

220hp vs. ~232hp

Even if I wanted to go turbo at this time, I really don't think I could have done it. Getting all of the machine work done plus new bearings, piston rings, bolts and mhg with all of the stuff to convert to a turbo. I just don't think I could have done it all for $1300. I guess if I wanted the turbo bad enough I could just find all of the turbo stuff and slap it on there but then the car would not be reliable and I would spend more time pissed with the thing than enjoying it. With my N/A build up I will have a reliable and fairly quick car. That is my goal for this paticular car!! I will get a turbo MKIII once I have a DD Supra that I can get around in when the turbo car decides to shit on itself.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Wow people's opinion of fast really varies. Sooo much benching in this thread. No dyno graphs, videos, slips, anything.

Canadianbacon you have no idea what you're talking about.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
AGlobalThreat said:
Wow people's opinion of fast really varies. Sooo much benching in this thread. No dyno graphs, videos, slips, anything.

Canadianbacon you have no idea what you're talking about.

I can throw down dyno sheets if people think I'm talking smack about my whopping 12whp gain :biglaugh:

And yes, I agree, fast does vary in peoples minds. When I first got my car, I though, OMG it's fast! Of course I realise, MkIIs are NOT fast stock, but I would be definitely impressed with the car and myself if one day she could be in the mid 14s to low 14s on n/a power. And yes, that would be "fast" to me cause I'm weird like that :)