HELP: Fuel Door.

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
Last night, pulling into a gas station, sitting right on a 1/4 tank, I pull on my fuel door latch and its gives no resistance and doesnt open the door. Im guessing its a cable somewhere, and there is nothing in Haynes, and one post on here that has the same problem. I tried accessing it from the trunk, but theres no way I can reach, and I pulled a bit of my carpet up by the latch, but in such good condition, I'd rather not pull it up anymore. I cannot find any other way to get to a cable. I tried sticking a screwdriver in the door to see if i could pry/unlatch it, didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion for a solution?
I can't drive my car ('89 Turbo) until I get this open.

Thanks! :1zhelp:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
door spring. mine does that every once in a while i just pry on it a tad with the key and it pops right open.

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
Yeah, I just pulled and had my buddy stick his pinky to pull on it. So everythings still connected inbetween if its just the spring? Is that [easily] replaceable?

Thanks!

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
IJ.;1499606 said:
Have a friend lightly push the door in while you pull the release and see if it opens.

Good to know.

hvyman;1499608 said:
door spring. mine does that every once in a while i just pry on it a tad with the key and it pops right open.

Just lubricate it. Forcing is rarely fun.:naughty:

TurboJoe;1499626 said:
Yeah, I just pulled and had my buddy stick his pinky to pull on it. So everythings still connected inbetween if its just the spring? Is that [easily] replaceable?

Thanks!

Try some WD40. and do the rear hatch also. I just did this on my new/old car.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Happens once in a while in cold weather. i usually just open the hatch, reach up the little door and press ( what feels like is a number 7 thingy) Of course i do have skinny arm

closetnerd

35% Biotic
Feb 15, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
IJ.;1499628 said:
More likely cable stretch, I trimmed the plastic plunger with a dremel.

I did the same. Since one of my hinges are broken, my door likes to sit comfortably jammed flushed with the body. So after pulling the latch and pushing it in some, and THEN pulling the latch a second time, it pops open.

As for the door jamming, the first time I just pulled the latch from behind the gas lid from inside the car. My car is stripped, so no carpet/panels to baby.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I had a plunger break off. Replacing the mechanism is NOT easy! You have to work it onto the cable, while you can't see a bit of your arm. Not impossible, but aggravating as hell. Be careful not to take too much off of the plunger. I'd hate to see you have to replace it.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Mine hasn't opened since a few days after i bought my car over two years ago. I just pop the hatch, and stick my arm through the access panel for the antenna/fuel door and push the lever/mechanism that opens the door with my thumb.

Works for me.