ForcedTorque's 3E5 has Arrived!!!!!

n2fishin69

Work-a-holic
Jan 25, 2006
Way down South, in Dixie
ForcedTorque;1240613 said:
My clutch arrived today! I've been in the bed 24 hours a day since 5PM Tuesday when I got off work. If I had any strength right now, I'd post pics. But you guys are gonna have to wait a little bit.

Damn, I hope you get better soon Scott! I guess the install for tomorrow is postponed? I was wondering why I have not heard from you. We have had bronchitis floating around my house. It is only a matter of time before I get it. I am usually the first!
Jim

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
ForcedTorque;1240785 said:
The doc did set me up an appointment with a surgeon. He said he feels like the surgeon will agree that it is not quite bad enough for surgery. It was my goal this trip to let him know I am very tired of living this way. The pills keep the pain at a somewhat tolerable level, but they also keep me a zombie mentally. It's no way to live. I don't really want surgery, but I wanted to get something else out of him. Looks like he has no other options shy of surgery.

Scott, I don't know what type of surgery it is, but doctors are damn smart these days and I don't hesitate to let them do what they get paid the big bucks for. Six years ago, I couldn't walk half the time because of my back. Now I coach basketball, tball and play softball on a team every year. Trust them to do their job as well as you and I do ours. Only good things will come of it.........you have my word as a gentleman and a scholar.

Does a fifth grade edumacation qualify me as a scholar?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
n2fishin69;1241099 said:
Damn, I hope you get better soon Scott! I guess the install for tomorrow is postponed? I was wondering why I have not heard from you. We have had bronchitis floating around my house. It is only a matter of time before I get it. I am usually the first!
Jim

Jim,

I haven't gotten back to you yet, because I haven't spoken to Noah. I'm gonna call him around lunch today. I'm alot better today, and back at work. My plan is, if I still think I can handle it, is to get started tonight, and have the car at least up on jacks. Then I may try to remove the driveshaft and exhaust. Who knows, I may have the damn tranny out (I doubt it), but I want to do as much of it as I can.

I'll PM you once I talk to Noah.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I guess I gotta update the thread. I am in the middle of a clutch swap. Last Thursday night, I pulled the tranny, and found that my flywheel was burnt to hell and back, and the ARP bolts were in with a lock tight. I had to go buy a 12 point socket to even try to turn them. I tried to hold the motor with the crank pulley bolt, but I broke that 195 ft-lb bolt loose before I ever got any to move. On Saturday, I found a spare flywheel, and I took it to have it resurfaced, but they put me off until Monday. I tried to borrow a good impact from the auto parts, but they made me go to the warehouse to get it, and the order was written for a torque wrench instead. The warehouse requires you to go back to the store to have that fixed. So, knowing I needed to re torque the pulley bolt, I brought it home. I was able to get it torqued to 170 ft-lb, before the wrench would no longer stay on the FW bolts. Next, I went and bought a 1/4" piece of flat bar, to try and hold the FW still. I was able to get 2 of the bolts out before that was bent out of shape. After so much torque, it would flip up on it's side, and bend. Today, I am trying the rope in a cylinder trick. I have a good bit into the #6, but it is not as easy to get it in there as it sounds. I'm taking a break now from laying across the engine bay slowly stuffing rope with a pair of long needle nose. When I go back out, I will see if I have enough rope in the to get anything done. If I can get the bolts out, I have somebody to help (possibly) get the tranny back in. But, we have rain in the forecast, so work may get stopped short.

Sorry for the long rambling paragraph, but this has definitely been an adventure.

****EDIT****The motor is now stopped. Now, I'm going to light this bitch on fire!!!!!!!!! With two dedicated hands on the ratchet end for the first time, all I can do is round off the head of a bolt. What the hell do I do now??????????????????

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I have never heard that! I'm not sure which stroke I'm on either. I was actually wondering about that as I stuffed rope. I have applied quite a bit of force to it already now, with no luck. What will I do if I round these bolts off and can't et them out. I'm at the end of my rope now. I'd rather not even go back under it.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Have you tried to spray them with a penetrating lube?I would recommend PB Blaster.Spray them,let them soak,repeat a couple times,let it soak for a couple hours though.Depending on which loctite was used on them,you may need to heat them up with a propane torch also(may need to heat them either way as that flywheel has been heat cycled rather extensively from the sounds of it).12 point bolts w/the correct socket are rather hard to round off.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
buckshotglass;1253172 said:
That made me lol, sorry.

You need an impact gun. It will take two seconds.

That comment was written to make you laugh Dave. I was trying to mask my frustration with comedy. Now, what will take two seconds.....rounding completely, or can I possibly get them out?

toy fanatic78;1253176 said:
Have you tried to spray them with a penetrating lube?I would recommend PB Blaster.Spray them,let them soak,repeat a couple times,let it soak for a couple hours though.Depending on which loctite was used on them,you may need to heat them up with a propane torch also(may need to heat them either way as that flywheel has been heat cycled rather extensively from the sounds of it).12 point bolts w/the correct socket are rather hard to round off.

It is a yellow locktite. Does PB have an effect on locktite?

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Are you sure it's loctite,(seen everything from nail polish to model paint used for threadlocker)loctite doesn't list a yellow loctite on their site.I think it's the red loctite that is supposed to be heated to remove.
The PB works well on bolts that are tough due to heat cycling,not sure how much of an effect it has on loctite,can't hurt though.
Buckshot:he went to get an impact,but they gave him a torque wrench instead.And an electric impact/air without good air supply wont do it either.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Yeah you should have heated those. I know the red loctite has to be very hot to even think about breaking loose. That is why I never use anything stronger than the blue. These guys that talk about using the red on their balancer are insane. I have enough problems breaking mine loose with nothing on it. I wish I could offer advise on the rounded head, but thats going to be a tough one. They make and easy out style tool for bolt heads too. But if it was hard enough to get off that you rounded a 12 point head out, then I dont know that will help. Maybe the easy out and heat combined will do it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I'm now back from a fruitless journey. I hit O'Reily's, Avanced auto, and Auto Zone, along with 2 pawn shops in between. At my last stop (AZ), they had both electrics and Campbell Hausfeld pneumatic for sale. Nobody will loan an impact! But, looking at their electric reminded me that I do have an electric in my shed that I could try before buying a junk C.H. I came home and tried it, and quickly spun around the bolt. It appears that there is more rounding in the socket.

Where's Jay???? Maybe he knows what is on these bolts. While viewing them in the daylight, the sealer looks to be more white than yellow.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Well, I went to Sears last night and bought a new sharp 12 point socket, and talked to the guy there about it. He said he was "a mechanic by trade" working at Sears for extra money. His advice was to use an air chisel to break it loose. If need be, go straight into it to cut a groove first. I'm going to try that tonight if it isn't too damn cold. I did not even touch the car yesterday.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Not a bad idea Dave, but I know it wouldn't sit flush due to the recess they sit in. I don't think anything is gonna stay on the head sitting on an angle with the type of torque that these are requiring. I've already rounded both the head of the bolt, and the inside of the socket on these things. That's why I was at Sears buying Craftsman. Part store sockets suck!