Facime's Mk2 build

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
Holy shit.
That's the worst electrical work I think I've ever seen.
Who is stupid enough to think wrapping and covering in electrical tape is even close to being a good way to do your HARNESSSSSSS!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
that stuff that was sealing the throttlebody looks a lot like mastic used for flooring...

They're doing remodeling at work and the stuff SUCKS

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
theWeezL;1049380 said:

I think my differential is on its way out as well. Under anything other than a soft launch I get a pretty hard wheel hop. I found a couple in the yards today. I need to do some research as to which ones will be LSD and go back for one here when the weather gets a little nicer. My 5spd swap is also on hold for now, as Im still trying to locate all the parts I need.

Pete, if I remember correctly, the LSD's in the MKII have the "LSD sticker on them just like the MKIII.

I like your plans for this car.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
congrats Pete, overall the car looks to be in pretty good shape, despite the fact that the previous owner was a complete moron.

I wouldn't stress about the diff too much unless it's making loud noises.

your wheel hop is most likely contributed to the combination of worn rear shocks and tired, old bushings.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well the rear end is doing something a little more than wheel hop. I havent really had a chance to look into it yet, but Im now thinking I may have a bad axle/joint. I will get up under there here soon enough. Im just taking it easy right now anyway.

Today I tore into the scary and totally inadaquate wiring at the battery. There were a couple wires that were spliced through a connector plug that had inappropriate gauge wires that were held together with wire nuts and electrical tape. Using the right gauge wire and butt connectors I cut everything back and redid it all. The wires looked like this before I started.

DSCF2102.JPG

DSCF2104.JPG

SOOooo...while I was looking around in that area I discovered this:
DSCF2099.JPG

Yes thats the fuel return line off the J-tube just shoved on there with no clamp. That sitting down there only 18 or so inches from the shitty wiring made me a tad uncomfortable thinking about what might have happened. It has a nice clamp on it now.

I did a compression test today as well and found that #5 and 6 are lower than the front 4 but within spec. The front 4 are actually above spec (175-180 on a 165 spec) so I will probably try to rig up some water injection or...seafoam? I replaced the spark plugs and found they werent all matching brand. There was a mismatched Bosch in the mix and they all looked like crap. a couple were nearly double the proper gap. I threw in a set of NGK coppers, and cleaned and re-routed the plug wires.

DSCF2094.JPG

DSCF2095.JPG

After that I just tinkered and piddled around with stuff, replaced a couple dead bulbs, cleaned and protected the vinyl interior parts, and adjusted the headlight covers a little. "Scarlett" is running pretty good right now, and feels solid and safe. Tomorrow Im going to redo the whole stereo system. Based on this guys wiring I have an idea of what Im going to find.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
good god that wiring is scary...

Looks like you're doing what I would be doing and going though the entire car with a fine toothed comb trying to find all of the "mods" the previous owner did...

Also, I think it's Dodge that has a carbon deposit cleaner that you pull the sparkplug out and put some in there overnight and then turn the motor over (with the plugs out) to clean the top of the piston. A good fuel like Shell or Chrevron will help clean it out as well...

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
For reference, 180psi is the norm for 1985-86 high compression (9.2:1) 5Ms. Don't ask why both Chilton's & Haynes manuals say 165, that's the pressure for the low compression (8.8:1) motors.

Looks like the engine was running lean. Double check for vacuum leaks :)

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Nice car Pete!

if you need any help or asstance, i think i can help in some way with the 1J swap, or even you locating 5spd swap parts,pm me if you wish.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Tanya;1050365 said:
For reference, 180psi is the norm for 1985-86 high compression (9.2:1) 5Ms. Don't ask why both Chilton's & Haynes manuals say 165, that's the pressure for the low compression (8.8:1) motors.

Looks like the engine was running lean. Double check for vacuum leaks :)

Crap, thats not good news. If the engine is indeed the high compression one. But that isnt exactly certain either. The motor is a JDM swap and who knows what was put in. Only thing I know is that the motor was a 5spd version. If it is the high compression that means my front 4 are ok and the last 2 are going. If its not then that means I have carbon buildup and possibly even still the last 2 failing. I have limped by on far worse and In the 400 miles Ive put on it so far, it hasnt burned any oil.

Yes its been running lean and it still is (you can smell it.) Im not sure why, as it idles dead solid perfect now with the new ISC and doesnt sound like its got any vacuum leaks. Im going to put in a new O2 sensor as a matter of routine maintenance and see what that does. I may also pay for a professional injector cleaning.

Once again this motor has to make it through the summer mostly, then I can make plans for something else.

(btw, ty Tanya I appreciate your help! even though you dont like my SDR :sarcasm: )

Jim, I have a guy that is going to sell me the trans, bellhousing, pedal set, hydraulics and lines for $100, but its in Seattle and I have to go pull the parts. All Im going to need is a flywheel, clutch set and front shaft. I have been too wrapped up in other stuff just yet to even look for those parts but if you got a line let me know.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
SDR = Super Deep Red, the color name for the red mk2s in '85 and '86.

Weez, what are the actual numbers? It is more important that the numbers be fairly even than dead on. If you're running 165-180psi, you should be good. Big dips in psi, more than 15 psi drops indicicate issues.

You can always try cleaning the cylinders with water, using a vacuum line to sip bits of water in at a time to steam clean the tops of the pistons, valves and combustion chamber. Then do another compression check and see if the numbers are more even.

Have you confirmed that it is an actual 5M? You say it's a JDM engine, maybe it's a 6M, check the block.

As for vacuum leaks, take some carb cleaner and spray around the plastic intake crap, the intake manifold, throttle body and vacuum lines. Even if it doesn't sound like it's leaking, it still could be. The plastic intake pieces are notorious for cracking. A friend has burnt valves in his 5M twice for running it lean too long...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Fathers day was spent washing and waxing and detailing 3 different cars. Here is how mine turned out:

DSCF2105.jpg

DSCF2108.jpg

DSCF2139.jpg

DSCF2124.jpg

DSCF2119.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

DSCF2128.jpg

DSCF2149.jpg

DSCF2154.jpg

DSCF2144.jpg

:biglaugh:

Last edited: