Facime's Mk2 build

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Oh Im not expecting its demise, but Im prepared for it though. I think it will be a fine car, Im just worried about buying it sight unseen. I already got a shop thats going to repaint the bumper for me.

Also, its just a possibility, but I may be coming home with 2 mk2's.

And Ken, I liked the blue one too. It was my first choice. but it went off the market despite my pleading to the owners father (owner was a 16yo girl who didnt have permission to sell it)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
WOW!..... 2?

Hopefully whichever one you end up with will at least hold out until you can afford a different daily driver. Then when it does give, you can consider it step one in your master plan. Then the JZ project will be born.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
stupid IE :3d_frown: let me try this once more....

Fartcans = FTL
Auto trans on supra = FTL
loose/broken flex plate = FTMFL!

First impressions on the car: Its awesome! Forget for a second that I paid $1400 for it. The body and paint turned out to be better than I expected and other than needing to repaint the nose and give it a good polish its all I could have hoped for. I have yet to find a single spot of rust. Even the usual spots on the hatch, sunroof and wheel wells are rust free.

The interior is even better. I wont hesitate to say its just short of flawless. Non-smoker at least most of its life, and had to be adult driven. Once I do my usual cleaning routine it will "supra meet ready". All the little gadgets, gauges, lights etc work properly and the only thing I could find not up to par was the A/C is not charged so no cold air.

The suspension was tight, smooth and free of rattles even over some pretty nasty railroad tracks. I think it felt better than either of my mk3's. The brakes feel good and the limited slip is definately working :naughty:.

Initial plans: usual fluid changes, rad flush, filters, belt/hose inspection, and brake inspection. Then Im gonna do a full 3 step polish and remove all the seats and steam clean them and the carpet (the carpet looks to have been replaced recently so really doesnt need much attention.) Im collecting parts/sources for a 5spd swap which I will do almost immediately. (I have a line on a running 5spd car for cheap for a donor)

I'll get into my long term goals when I start a build thread, but for now suffice to say, its going to stay 100% stock drivetrain for a while. Im going to focus on suspension/brakes/weight reduction/chassis stiffening. Then when it handles like a go cart, I will do a stock twin 1JZ/r154 swap and call it a day.

it was too late to take pics and it was raining in Seattle, so I only have one pic for ya. More tomorrow.

DSCF2049.JPG

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
theWeezL;1044089 said:
loose/broken flex plate = FTMFL!

:nono:

How the hell did that happen!? It took hell and high water to get the torque converter and flex plate off of my 7M. I had to use my impact, and pray! :naughty:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Werd, Looks pretty good. Fart can FTG. SDR cars don't have any clear coat, so extra effort to make them shine (although that car looks easy to shine). The paint also opxidizes/fades fairly easy.

Welcome to the mk2 club :D

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Great Job Pete. The car is extremely nice. You got it for a steal!

Pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics,

oh, loose the fartcan....quick!

You've already had a Lucy, so name it either Ethel or Vivian (Viv).

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
The day before yesterday I decided to get under thec ar and look at the cause of the flex plate noise. Inspection cover was already missing and a complete revolution of the motor revealed of the 6 bolts holding the flex plate to the TC, 4 were snapped off and the last two were the wrong length and stacked with washers :3d_frown: . God I hate shitty mechanics.

I spent all day dropping the trans to drill and retap the busted bolts holes. Im getting too old to go dropping transmissions all by myself with no trans jack :nono: but I got it done. If I had all my parts for my 5spd swap ready I would have just done that, but Im just not ready to change over so this was a temporary measure.

I come in at the end of the night all tired and sore...only to find my $400 Samsung LCD dead. So I havent been able to get online all weekend.

Yesterday I had a wedding to go to, and today Im still recovering from crawling around under a supra all day, but I managed to get out to pick up a new monitor. I am going to try to get out and take some pics today before the sunshine is all gone, I will update later.

PS. If a Mod is monitoring this thread can you please move it to the build thread section. I might as well use this as a build thread for now.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
hmm, it seems shame to move it to the other cars section, but maybe that is the proper place for it? I just wasnt sure it belonged here in general OT as it is. Whereever you think it belongs is fine.

and when Im too old to push a clutch Im getting a Hoveround™ and Im not quite there yet! ;)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Yeah, back into Supras even!

This one still needs a bit of work. Its a good start but I definately need to work some magic on it.

Pics later tonight.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Oh cool, thanks Mike. Yeah good idea with the inclusion of mk4's and the few mk2's we have that call SM home its nice and makes sense to be included in the build up section.