!!F**K!! > block threads are no good/any suggestions?

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Ok, so i was all happy and shit today , i got my arp's my toyota hg , my head from the machine shop and a good bj. So i started to do the job about 30 minutes ago around 9:15 pm pacific. I was about to torque them all down to 75. It was #11's turn to get to 75 and :runaway: :cry: :sadwavey: :umno: . It just turned and turned and turned. My Head bolt is ok, but my block threads are fucket, can i run the head missing one bolt? :biglaugh: . Can i skip the washer and just use the bolt by it's self?
I don't want to take my head off. Can i reuse my HG?:biglaugh:
Fuck what should i do?
( I did do several passes before i got to 75 )
(my threads were cleaned)
(this was my 4th hg job on a supra)

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
can i run the head missing one bolt?

No. not even a chance. Unless you dont mind doing the whole job over again.

Can i skip the washer and just use the bolt by it's self?

no and it probably wouldnt give you enough threads to torque it down right anyway.

Can i reuse my HG?

yes, if you used some spray on sealer like spray copper or brake quiet, you are going to need to clean it all off and re-apply it.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
slidebabyslide said:
hahaha, fuck me. so what do i do? Do i take the head off and try to retap it? or heli coil? or machine shop?

Well Im gonna have to admit I dont know the correct answer to that question. My best guess is helicoil, but I dont know if thats really appropriate for a head bolt. This is a low boost or NA application right? I gotta think helicoiling would work.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable about such things will chime in here.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
edited your title... ;)

So the head is completely stripped?do you have enough threads to try using a stud instead of a bolt? If you can get a studd to thread down in there, and then clamp the top with the nut, it should be fine...

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Well i will take the head off tomorrow and try to re-tap and if it does not work then i will helicoil.NO? What about using a thinner washer?
(edit- you typed if my head was stripped i was thinking about my engine head)
my bad

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
slidebabyslide said:
No i have my cam and cam caps on there
What does that have to do with anything? Rotate your cam to clear the washer/bolt head/stud... I had my cams in when I put my studs in... You cant buy just one stud, but if you can do it, and it only cost you $120 for studs, then you can sell your ARP head bolts for $80 and then it only really cost you $40... $40 saves you from having to have your block helicoiled... Its just an option, like I said, if you can get enough bite on the threads...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I put 1,600,000 km on my '82 Celica. In that time I had to replace the bottom end once and rebuild the head twice. I think the engineers that designed that car started Lexus.

It would likely still be running strong now, but I got in a argument with a full grown bull moose on a highway at night. Fucking moose won, too, he trashed the car and it didn't even KNOCK HIM DOWN.

The next car I bought was my first Supra. :D

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
GrimJack said:
I put 1,600,000 km on my '82 Celica. In that time I had to replace the bottom end once and rebuild the head twice. I think the engineers that designed that car started Lexus.

It would likely still be running strong now, but I got in a argument with a full grown bull moose on a highway at night. Fucking moose won, too, he trashed the car and it didn't even KNOCK HIM DOWN.

The next car I bought was my first Supra. :D

Good, i fell better now. Well i will helicoil it see what happens.
Thanks to all to of you.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
artificial-initiation said:
Did the end of that movie turn anyone else on a little? I feel your pain, I was looking over my new supra and realized that one of the exhaust manifold studs was broken off. Best of luck to you though.

LOL, the end of that video was rather suggestive...

Gotta love the 80's music! :D