ebay recirculated DDP - fitment and specs?

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
87mgte said:
ahhhh c'mon does even the recirulated one still sound like an exhaust leak? that's somethin i definitely won't have happening. i guess i'll just get the standard BIC DP.

No, the recirculated pipe does not still sound like it has an exhaust leak at all, and nor SHOULD the dumped version (although some do).

I believe the issue with the "exhaust leak" sound in the dumped versions of the ZW pipe are caused by a notch in some of the tabs that are supposed to fully separate the wastegate from the exhaust outlet of the turbo. Exhaust pushes through that tab, which causes a hissing sound and exits through the dump, causing the "exhaust leak" sound. On the units with this issue, it can be repaired by even a mediocre welder, very easy. But this is NOT an issue with the recirculated pipe.

Neither the BIC DDP or DDP Recirculated have this issue due to better up front quality control.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Supra469 said:
I really like how your DDP came out with the coating.

** Slightly off-topic**

Question: The coating will really decrease the heat in the engine bay does it do anything for rust??

I saw someone coat their catback exhaust (think it's on this forum also) and was wondering what are the benefits of that?

Ceramic coatings will prevent rust. A few members on here offer ceramic coating services, such as jdub, his work is damn good, I've spent plenty on his products ;).

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Well guys, I received my replacement on Friday and installed it yesterday.

Oddly enough, the quality of this one wasn't quite as good as the original incorrectly sized one I received.. Allow me to clarify... The build quality / material / welds are on par and of good quality... But the I had to file the holes in the mount that fits over the turbo because they were too tight, then I had to grind down the tab that "separates" the wastegate from exhaust outlet of the turbo because it was hitting the housing too early (wouldn't allow it to fit completely flush).

BUT... Once I resolved those issues, it went on pretty much without any other hitches. When I first alligned it I thought I would have issues with it hitting the tranny pan, but when I tightened it up it cleared it just fine. The flex section is pretty fat though, and holds against the bottom of the car, so I put a layer of heat rag around it so it doesn't melt the material it's against.

I only replaced the downpipe and the secondary cat with a R/T high flow cat, and left the cat-back exhaust alone for now (future project). I already have an APEX'i Power Intake installed from a while ago. When I started up the car it is about as quiet as before, but it defitinely has a different rumble that sounds like the car has something to prove.

I took her out and lit her up, and with just the cat and the downpipe there is a HUGE difference... I can hear the turbo spooling louder and MUCH earlier than before (it's actually hard not to spool now, even with a light foot). When I stomped it the car is definitely louder and more agressive sounding, but most importantly IT GOES! My stock crapper boost gauge shows about a 1.2lb increase! I know that may not be accurate, but damn, my ass dyno certainly registered a solid increase in power.

The parts are also SUBSTANTIALLY lighter than the parts they replaced, so although it's not a drastic difference, it's certainly a nice little perk for them.

So, in brief... Although it took a bit of work to make everything go together properly, once it was installed it is truly worth it. You really can't beat the price, and the stainless steal was what attracted me in the first place. I trimmed the rear off of the turbo heat shield for aesthetic appeal (it still covers the exhaust side, but leaves the downpipe exposed). I gotta say, I'm very happy! Why couldn't the car have come like this from the factory???

-James

Last edited:

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Good to hear you got it on, and are enjoying it!!!

I think I remember dugums mentioning that he had to grind down that same separation tab, guess it's a common thing.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Could I get one of you guys with this DP installed to do me a favor?

I need to get an idea of clearance for my WB sensor, I've circled the pic below the area I'd like to put it, but am not sure how much room there is as the DP goes down between it and the firewall. Had the 1J too long I guess. ;)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm thinking of putting it either on the top or side in that area, if I can't put it there I think I'll have to extend the wiring for it and put it much farther down.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'll take a look tomorrow if nobody gets to it before then.

I know one guy installed it even further back than the flex section and routed the cable through a body plug on the underside of the car.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
A bit further back works quite well. My sensor is in my test pipe and there is a body plug just behind it where I ran the wire in the cabin. Nice and tucked up under the car and no overheat issues with the sensor.

dugums said:
I'll take a look tomorrow if nobody gets to it before then.

I know one guy installed it even further back than the flex section and routed the cable through a body plug on the underside of the car.

JZSupra88

Sep 14, 2007
New Jersey
theprodigy79 said:
I took her out and lit her up, and with just the cat and the downpipe there is a HUGE difference... I can hear the turbo spooling louder and MUCH earlier than before (it's actually hard not to spool now, even with a light foot). When I stomped it the car is definitely louder and more agressive sounding, but most importantly IT GOES! My stock crapper boost gauge shows about a 1.2lb increase! I know that may not be accurate, but damn, my ass dyno certainly registered a solid increase in power.
-James

Yeap, I just installed the ebay recirculated downpipe (with some grinding of the separation tab) with a 3" high flow cat and stock cat back, and lemme say, you hit the nail on the head. Boost gauge reads an extra psi of pressure and it feels like it always wants to take off! I love it! I can't wait to get the 3" cat-back on!

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
For those of you concerned about WBo2 heat, we have o2 sensor risers. It is basically an extension that screws into the bung and offers a new bung about 1.5" higher. This way you get a cooler reading. There is no need to weld a new bung.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
935motorsports said:
For those of you concerned about WBo2 heat, we have o2 sensor risers. It is basically an extension that screws into the bung and offers a new bung about 1.5" higher. This way you get a cooler reading. There is no need to weld a new bung.

Have you tried using one of these on this DP?

My Zeitronix Wideband sensor barely clears the firewall because of the angle of the bung. I would love to get a riser for a little extra protection, but I don't think it will fit.

I have to order a few things from you tomorrow - maybe I'll order one and try it. OK for returns if it does not fit?

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
935motorsports said:

How much, I'd be willing to try this.

I have a question concerning fitment with an Auto tranny. Some of you mentioned it came close to the trans, which trans were you talking about Manual or Auto? I have a 3" DP mounted right now with my Auto and things are tight. I had to build a small heat shield to ensure the pipe didn't transfer heat to the pan and the speedo cable. My flex section is up near the old elbow spot while this DDP-R has it much farther down. I'm concerned that the flex sectin would hit the Auto pan or bell housing.
That DDP-R from 935/ebay looks really sweet and has me thinking of swapping from a DP to a DDP-R.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
thelonerider said:
I have a question concerning fitment with an Auto tranny. Some of you mentioned it came close to the trans, which trans were you talking about Manual or Auto?

Hopefully somebody with an auto can answer also.

I have a manual and it fit perfectly.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Dugums,

It's been a while now, so how's everything working out?

How's the ceramic coating preforming?

A post update would be nice. :)

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Supra469 said:
Dugums,

It's been a while now, so how's everything working out?

How's the ceramic coating preforming?

A post update would be nice. :)

I actually just recently got the chance to start driving the car. With the manifold, turbo exh housing and DP coated - There is a significant reduction in underhood temps. I did not put the heatshields back on, hoping the coating would do the job, and it does.

I can't comment too much on the DP alone. I upgraded to a 57 trim CT26, 3" high flow cat, Apex'i intake, Tanabe SHM cat back, New IC, hardpipes, NEO, etc all at the same time.

Needless to say - the car is quite a bit faster now.

My exhaust set up is super quiet - which is what I was going for. Between the big muffler, resonator and cat, it is almost SILENT at idle.

Once you get on it though, it sounds incredible. I don't think I could have asked for anything more.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
dugums said:
I actually just recently got the chance to start driving the car. With the manifold, turbo exh housing and DP coated - There is a significant reduction in underhood temps. I did not put the heatshields back on, hoping the coating would do the job, and it does.

I can't comment too much on the DP alone. I upgraded to a 57 trim CT26, 3" high flow cat, Apex'i intake, Tanabe SHM cat back, New IC, hardpipes, NEO, etc all at the same time.

Needless to say - the car is quite a bit faster now.

My exhaust set up is super quiet - which is what I was going for. Between the big muffler, resonator and cat, it is almost SILENT at idle.

Once you get on it though, it sounds incredible. I don't think I could have asked for anything more.

Pics of new setup? Sounds nice...esp not having to run those butt ugly heat shields.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Ebay dp Is the best best bang for the buck if looking for a ""bolt on"" upgrade! Its what i will be using if bolts up to T-78 or T-88 with 3" clamp. I know in the past someone dyno'ed stock vs 3" pipe DP and found like 23 hp at the wheels.