ebay recirculated DDP - fitment and specs?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
7MsuprO said:
Pics of new setup? Sounds nice...esp not having to run those butt ugly heat shields.

I need to get her cleaned up before I take some pics. Hopefully tomorrow, but the forecast says rain.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Poodles said:
function > form

the heat sheilds stop the heat from baking everything in the area (like the coolant lines, wiring, ect...)

True, it was not my original intent to delete the heatshields (in fact I have two sets sitting around, one that I had ceramic coated). I got a little lazy with the build and left them off, hoping the coating would do the job. So far, so good - it is actually surprisingly cool underhood.

The heatshields will go back on eventually, but I need to cut the rear mani one for my EGT probe to clear it and my turbo one for the extra 02 sensor.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
Poodles said:
function > form

the heat sheilds stop the heat from baking everything in the area (like the coolant lines, wiring, ect...)

I've seen a few ceramic coatings advertised as "no heat shields needed after application." I think i've also seen JDub say that regarding his but don't quote me on it. Not that i have any experience in the matter but id love to not have to use them if theres an alternative.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
they look fine if they're coated as well, and it's a lot more protection...

I had to replace my engine wiring harness because of this, so running all the sheilds is worth it IMHO...

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
ok im building my own DDP, and can anyone give me the diameter of the wastegate exaust tubing(The smaller size tubing) im going to start a thread on it after im done with pictures. anyone with any type of ddp i just want an average size. thanks guys.
:icon_bigg

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
7MsuprO said:
I've seen a few ceramic coatings advertised as "no heat shields needed after application." I think i've also seen JDub say that regarding his but don't quote me on it. Not that i have any experience in the matter but id love to not have to use them if theres an alternative.

I actually have Heat Shields that were ceramic coated by jdub. Every heat shield on the hot side to be exact ;).

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ceramic coating is good, but if you have provision for heat shields...I'd use them. Anything to keep the heat down in the engine bay is a plus. On my next downpipe, I'm going to ceramic coat it and then wrap it.

If you don't have attachments for heat shields, I would most definitely ceramic coat the exhaust parts...don't go cheap...use a 2000 deg rated coating at minimum.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
jdub said:
Ceramic coating is good, but if you have provision for heat shields...I'd use them. Anything to keep the heat down in the engine bay is a plus. On my next downpipe, I'm going to ceramic coat it and then wrap it.

If you don't have attachments for heat shields, I would most definitely ceramic coat the exhaust parts...don't go cheap...use a 2000 deg rated coating at minimum.

Wouldn't that be major overkill??

What's the difference on how ceramic coating and heat wrap works to manage the heat??

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...it's over kill...I wouldn't call it major though ;)

The ceramic and wrap work the same way...keeps the heat inside the pipe. Ceramic is very good, but you will still get radiated head from ceramic coated parts...cuts it down 50-70% (depending on how hot), but does not eliminate it. BTW, black is the most effective in minimizing radiate heat.

Anytime you use a wrap, the pipe needs to be coated...not necessarily ceramic, but something that will keep moisture separated from the pipe surface. Especially if the pipe is made from mild steel. Same thing for the turbine housing...ceramic coat and a turbo blanket. Both of the above will keep your engine bay as cool as possible.

On another note, I've coated a couple of these eBay DDP's...from what I can see, the quality is pretty good. Good welds...can't say anything about fitment though.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Absolutely love mine... Boosting over 8PSI (stock gauge) with just the DDP, Random Tech 3" cat on stock cat-back and A'PEXi Power Intake with no boost controller in this cooler weather!

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
theprodigy79 said:
Absolutely love mine... Boosting over 8PSI (stock gauge) with just the DDP, Random Tech 3" cat on stock cat-back and A'PEXi Power Intake with no boost controller in this cooler weather!

Hey, which one of the RT cats are you using?? I'm looking for one but don't know which one to get?

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
I'll be putting this on soon. :D

DP.JPG

DP1.JPG

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
starscream5000;884460 said:
Wrap it to the cat/test pipe, you'll notice a difference in temps. ;)

Are there are side effects to have all that heated pipe wrapped up, like does the wrap allow moisture to get in and eventually corrode etc?