Dual Battery Setup

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
just bridge them together.postive to postive,negative to negative.thats how it's done in my dodge pick-up from the factory.i also have a secondary battery wired in my work van that power's an inverter,which is done the same way.
i've never done it in the sup though.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
tsuper92;1299268 said:
just bridge them together.postive to postive,negative to negative.thats how it's done in my dodge pick-up from the factory.i also have a secondary battery wired in my work van that power's an inverter,which is done the same way.
i've never done it in the sup though.
That's great for a truck where you want lots of power to everything all the time, but not so great for a car where you want one to be 'disposable' and the other to be there to start and run the car when you need it.

I've done a lot of these setups back when I worked in the car stereo world. You just need a battery isolator... this allows one battery to completely discharge without affecting the one you use to start the car.

They are used a lot in boating applications as well. Pretty simple to wire up, too.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Unfortunately the drains I have are something I can't avoid :(

I was going to run a Projecta electronic Isolator and an ns40 battery.

But upon thinking about it, I have a battery with RC of 135 an ns40 is going to be far less.
My main battery will run flat in about 3 days or so with a drain of 0.10.
If I move the 0.07 drain to the ns40 its going to run that flat also so it would then be pointless... I wonder if I just move say the 1 drain of 0.04 to that battery. I would then only have a 0.06 drain on the starting battery and it should last about a week, although the most I don't drive it is usually about 3 days.

I think just moving the one drain is an idea.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
what about one of those solar chargers

SolarCharger_135_2.jpg

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
I already looked at a solar panel, preferred permanent but there are window restrictions and the panel would not be able to provide necessary voltage. If the sun goes behind a cloud the charge drops right out, so I gave up on that idea.

Prosport Peak & Warn Gauge x 2 at 0.02 each
Turbo timer with other memory functions 0.03
RTR (Light retractor) 0.01
Radio 0.02

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
No alarm, and draw change doesn't alter... its the same all the time.

The only thing I can think of is when running the car then switching off something is staying stuck on?
I don't know how I can measure that, to read with multimeter I need to disconnect batt and then that would nullify the test lol

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I had similar symptoms with an optima yellow top battery that turned out to be faulty. It would charge fine, start fine when charged, and pass a battery load test, but if it sat for 2-3 days it would lose a huge amount of charge(even when disconnected) and be very weak. Probably internal current leaks. I posted this a while ago and about a dozen guys chimed in to say they also had problems with their Optima batteries (and that they suck!)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Suzie, these things are actually pretty easy to diagnose.

Just put an ampmeter on it, unplug all the fuses / relays, then plug them back in one at a time and keep an eye on the meter. When it starts showing anything significant, you've found your culprit. I've seen this caused by everything from faulty stereo equipment to a fried alternator, and just about everything in between.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
^^^:bigthumb: But I would pull the fuses one at a time and see where the biggest current being dramatically reduce where most likely the potential short will be at.