District 9 is easily... (**contains some spoilers!**)

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
...The best movie I've seen all year, and one of my new all time favorites! Better action than this year's other "blockbusters", more subject matter than most dramas, and takes just the right amount of time to tell the story.

Go see it. Right now!

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
SupraOfDoom;1387378 said:
I mean, it was pretty cool.... but kinda random in some aspects.
Hmmm??? I'm going over the movie in my head, and can't recall anything that seemed out of place to me. I liked it because it had all the elements to a great movie: realistic characters, good action, a clear story progression, social commentary that's ever-present without being preachy (a big one in my book), and a realistic ending.

There are very few recent movies I can note that meshed so many elements so well.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I didn't feel the main character to be believable at all. The beginning seemed like it didn't take itself seriously enough. I had a hard time believing the choices the human's made like requiring eviction signatures.

Random. Entertaining but random and hard to believe. Also, why did the aliens like catfood so much ?

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
SupraOfDoom;1387429 said:
I had a hard time believing the choices the human's made like requiring eviction signatures.

[Semi-Spoilers, BEWARE!!!]

Some countries do this to displaced peoples (this movie focuses on Apartheid in South Africa, specifically), to give the appearance of fairness. Most of the first parts with the main character were done as publicity shoots for the PMC, like "Hey world, look at all the good we're doing!". Most aliens were forced to sign even upon refusal. Everything else he did after the story changed is what anyone in his situation would do, try to return his life to normal.

I thought this was a good interview
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/neill-blomkamps-giant-apartheid-metaphor/article1250883/

Most movies/games like to paint the main character as some super altruistic person that never thinks a selfish thought (the cowboy with the white hat). They usually do one or two selfish things, then they become mother Teresa with a gun/sword.

Optimus: Halp us Sam!

Sam: NO!

Optimus: Aww! But ya gotta!1!

Sam: I don't wanna!

Optimus: Do it....

Sam: ....mKay!!!

The main character made a good number of selfish decisions, and that's human.

As for the cat food, that's like asking me "Why do black people like menthols so much?" I has no idea.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I don't really question his selfishness. I question his turning point to not be selfish. I mean, he went as far as possibly letting the Alien die / get beat ( with his child on board i might add yelling father ), and in-fact risking fucking up the ship and or leaving... yet at the end with not much changing decides to risk his life for him? There really wasn't a big enough believable transition for me for him to go from being so selfish to so selfless.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
my friend seen this and said it was stupid and he wouldn't pay to see it again. but i on the other hand have not seen it yet, start streamin it but didn't finish it (waitin for better quality) it looks like a really good movie.

But my friend is a pastor and doesn't like anything but action the whole movie lol

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
SupraOfDoom;1387809 said:
I don't really question his selfishness. I question his turning point to not be selfish.

[SPOILERS...AGEEEEEN!!!]

I can see that, I just saw it as he realized that he basically fucked up everything and had nowhere to run, so he decided to help the Alien so they could both get to the ship, where he could get "fixed"(so, still pretty selfish). Once he got incapped, he had pretty much given up on being fixed, and was really just left with making himself feel better (I didn't make it, but at least I did something worthwhile ). Just the way I saw it, he was trying to make up for the deaths he caused/had a hand in (Seemingly selfless, but with selfish motivations and keeping with his character :) ).

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
carter;1387816 said:
my friend seen this and said it was stupid and he wouldn't pay to see it again. but i on the other hand have not seen it yet, start streamin it but didn't finish it (waitin for better quality) it looks like a really good movie.

But my friend is a pastor and doesn't like anything but action the whole movie lol

Definitely go watch it in theaters. It'd only be half the movie if you couldn't watch it HQ.

Best movie I've seen in a long time. Would absolutely recommend.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Saw it and thought it was brilliant "entertainment".....

I don't get the whole "was it believable" mindset in dissecting movies...

FFS it's a MOVIE about Aliens :nono:

you're overthinking it it's NOT a documentary.