Custom Cluster

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Ive never been particularly interested in changing the gauge cluster until i saw the interior of Cowboy Bebop's mkiv.

Im interested in doing something similar, probably with autometer gauges and an electronic speedo and fuel level.

Im curious if anyone has made an aluminum piece (or similar) that replaces the plastic cover of the stock gauge cluster? Id want it to mount exactly the same as the stock clear plastic piece, with the squares cut out for the climate control vents and nothing more.

anyone know anyone who has done this before? i think i could do it by hand but id like to here other peoples experiences.

i think the reason i have never considered this is because all the other examples ive seen have not looked like much of an improvement over stock. if i decide to do this it will look as OEM as possible.

it shouldnt be too hard either, fabricating a panel that replaces the stock clear plastic, with its exact dimensions should make this project a piece of cake.

comments/suggestions welcome.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/c0wboy/widebody/?action=view&current=MOV03538.flv

Last edited:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
It is possible, and shouldn't be too hard if you know where all the plugs go. Autometer makes everything in a couple of their series to do this with a low budget. You will probably need a speedo cable > electronic converter however. Use sheet of fiberglass, painted black or overlayed with carbon as the backing.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
foreverpsycotic;1201360 said:
It is possible, and shouldn't be too hard if you know where all the plugs go. Autometer makes everything in a couple of their series to do this with a low budget. You will probably need a speedo cable > electronic converter however. Use sheet of fiberglass, painted black or overlayed with carbon as the backing.

i would use a stock toyota speed sensor. i think the soarer r154 uses an electronic speedometer. from what i here it fits right where the cable speedo driven gear bolts in.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Joe, search oneandgone's old posts. He made a custom cluster- might be able to get some good ideas from his. That thing was all business, and looked good too.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
the guy i bought my car from had made a custom cluster out of fiber glass, ill see if i have a pic of it. it didnt come with the car.

edit: heres the best pic i could come up with
p1201573_1.jpg

he useed the black plastic trim piece to get the size and general shape. its kinda hard to describe, but it looked really cool.

Last edited:

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I might be able to make one for you out of some 18ga stainless steel or maybe aluminum...
Stainless will cut better and look better than aluminum

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
lagged;1201366 said:
i would use a stock toyota speed sensor. i think the soarer r154 uses an electronic speedometer. from what i here it fits right where the cable speedo driven gear bolts in.

Is this definitely true? Is it something that's easily available or something that's a lot of work to find.

Has anyone ever used the Marlin Crawler VSS for something like this?
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/tcase_ac.htm

And I like IJ's idea the best. Besides the cost of a setup like that, it looks awesome and clean.

I don't like the way Grant's dash looks at all. It looks too cluttered and barely useable if you're actually driving the car. A couple gauges set up like that could work, but that many just seems like way too much for me. Just my opinion, I'm not saying it didn't come out nice, just don't like it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tsuper92;1202047 said:
i'm sure this doesn't come with a minimalist price;)

Add up the amount of Gauges you would need to replicate the functionality of the SDL and it's a damn cheap way of doing it :)

Wiisass;1202154 said:
And I like IJ's idea the best. Besides the cost of a setup like that, it looks awesome and clean.

I don't like the way Grant's dash looks at all. It looks too cluttered and barely useable if you're actually driving the car. A couple gauges set up like that could work, but that many just seems like way too much for me. Just my opinion, I'm not saying it didn't come out nice, just don't like it.

The "cluttered" thing is exactly what I don't want and why I chose the MoTeC dash, I can have 4 actual gauge displays (+ gear position) visable per page (3 pages available on a switch)

Then there is an alpha/numeric display at the bottom that can scroll through ALL of the additional sensors to a total of 20 per page via another switch, add to this another 4 overrides per page and user configured alarms for EVERYTHING the SDL monitors and it makes sense :D

My SLM will provide the Turn indicators, High beam, Park brake, Brake warning and Alarms in any combination of 8 lights and 9 colours.

On the speedo thing keep in mind if you retain the Cruise Control you have to keep the Reed switch behind the cluster as the way Toyota have done the Mk3 it's NOT just grounding the switch.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I agree w/ the minimalist approach, making data easier to read, etc...

I was just throwing out ideas. ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Don't know about anyone else but at full noise on a winding road there's no way known I can scan the instruments let alone pick out a single small gauge as things are happening so damn fast :)

I'll set the Alarms to get my attention if anything is wrong and I have the MoTeC set to save the engine if there are any critical failures. (Either closes the DBW throttle or pulls the boost back to 5 Psi or pulls the limiter to 3500 or a combination of all 3)

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
IJ.;1202188 said:
Don't know about anyone else but at full noise on a winding road there's no way known I can scan the instruments let alone pick out a single small gauge as things are happening so damn fast :)

I'll set the Alarms to get my attention if anything is wrong and I have the MoTeC set to save the engine if there are any critical failures. (Either closes the DBW throttle or pulls the boost back to 5 Psi or pulls the limiter to 3500 or a combination of all 3)

Exactly.

I want to put another AIM MXL in the car. It all depends on budget but I want some kind of data acq system in the car.

Of course, I would also be happy with a bunch of lights and no actual gauges on the dash. Just shift lights and warning lights. I mean I would still like some way to see what the actual numbers are, but that doesn't necessarily have to be on the dash. They could be somewhere else or logged by something.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Im actually in the process of making my fiberglass cluster w/ all autometer ultra-lites. I just need the speedo, and fuel level, and bunch of other fiberglassing to finish. If your gonna do it in fiberglass, the only hard part is pulling a proper mold from the stock peice. ill post pictures if i get a chance.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Wiisass;1202154 said:
Is this definitely true? Is it something that's easily available or something that's a lot of work to find.

Has anyone ever used the Marlin Crawler VSS for something like this?
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/tcase_ac.htm

it should be. i believe the marlin crawler VSS would work as well.

the signal from the stock mkiii tach works with 1jz computers, so i would assume that the electronic speed sensor probably outputs the same type of signal.

i would even go so far as to say (not considering parts availability) that it would be easier to use a mkiv speedo (with mkiii face) and electronic sender as opposed to replacing broken speedometer cables.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
IJ.;1202188 said:

i just figured you had a plug in the back of your seat that you hooked into matrix-style. you are one crazy mofo :D