Crazy Power Steering PROBLEM

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
so you never took the cap off the res to see if there was atf swirling around showing that the atf was moven ?

this is one of the frist things to look for

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
My PS seems to not work and become all whiny at random times, i checked the fluid and it is indeed swirling.

so if your ps reservoir is swirling liquid, the reservoir is bad?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
If its swirling its supposed to be good. But like I mentioned our reservoir was swirling and it was still bad somehow.

SO Suprahero and the other guy. Did you guys try puttin new reservoirs in your cars? Are you guys still havin this problem?

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Grimsta, quick question for you: how did you clean out your reservoirs?

I had a PS line burst on Wednesday, and before I found the hole I had narrowed it down to either a leak in the res or one of the lines. While trying to figure it out I was inspecting the res and I can't believe that anything still works with the amount of shite caked all over the inside of the res! To boot, it's very difficult to read the amount of fluid inside the res and correlate that to the 'hot' and 'cold' level-lines.

I don't know if the res on a 1G will be different from the 1JZ or 7M, but the top of the res only has a tiny hole in it to pour the PS fluid into. (Makes for a convenient funnel, though.) I have no means of getting anything inside to clean all that crap out.

Any thoughts?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
I used a few cans of brake cleaner sprayed in the inlet and up from the bottom. Sprayed several times. I would spray, drain, spray, drain, spray, drain, let it sit for a little while then spray and drain again. Finally I sprayed a bunch and blew it out with VERY LIGHT air. If you just blow pressurized air in there you can destroy the screen

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
I've seen someone destroy their screen from just blasting it with their air gun. The blew it up from the bottom and it bent and dislodged itself

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Grimsta;1271450 said:
I used a few cans of brake cleaner sprayed in the inlet and up from the bottom. Sprayed several times. I would spray, drain, spray, drain, spray, drain, let it sit for a little while then spray and drain again. Finally I sprayed a bunch and blew it out with VERY LIGHT air. If you just blow pressurized air in there you can destroy the screen

Groovy, thanks Grimsta.

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Good post Grimsta. I think I have a direction to go with my p/s noise. Whines when under slight load and raise the rpm. Whines under full lock. I've pulled the pump and check the cam housing and rotor/vanes. All are good. Has new suction and pressure line ( driftmotion s/s line) I'm going to look at the res. one more time before I put a new pump on it.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I am having the EXACT problem. Cleaned out the res with a full can of brake clean.. nothing. Then got a used pump and cleaned out the res again with gasoline and still whines. Liquid seemed to flow out pretty decently too. Blamed it on someone sending me a bad pump so i got a brand new reman'd pump and same thing.. This has been killing me for almost a year now. I'm ganna go back out and again try to clean the res like crazy and hopefully will come back with some good news.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Holy floppying crap.. it actually worked! Even after the crazy barrage of brake clean and gasoline it was still really clogged! Took a pressure hose to get all the crud out.

Before (sorry, bad picture)
dscf9626.jpg

After
dscf9627.jpg

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
In my original issue, I could look thru the res like the 2nd picture, everything was clean and clearly visible, still the old res was "bad". Had all appearances and symptoms of a GOOD reservoir but right when I put another one in, problem gone

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
My IGN connection to the ECU was "shorting out," giving me a code 14- No IGF Signal (2JZ swap). Pushed in the right connections/connectors and after several attempts to restart, started and ran well. However, the PPS stopped working. I checked the ECU-IG fuse as described in the TRSM (Pg SR-91) and it's fine.

Cleaned out the resorvoir today and still no change. The resorvoir is from a US/domestic and has been on the car for 2 years (not old enough to be clogged, etc). Has anyone else lost PPS like this and found a simple fix/ What does the PPS ECU look like and where is it located? Since my IGF issue was related to power, maybe I burnt something out. Wiring seems fine (continuity test from rack connection to dash). I'll test the solenoid in a bit.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I had lost all power steering (very hard to turn wheels).

Cleaned out reservoir, replaced solenoid, etc. Now seems to be little power steering, but still no PPS. Meaning, the wheels are hard to turn when standing still, but not as hard as it was before I changed the solenoid out. Fluid seems to be flowing well and no noise from the PS pump (no foaming either). I have a spare PPS computer I may try tonight and see what happens.