Crazy Power Steering PROBLEM

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
So....

Had a customer w/ an 89 turbo PPS rack car that all of a sudden lost power steering, brought it in, pump was all whiny, full resevour, no foaming. I've done and checked EVERYTHING to no avail and finally came on here as a last resort and find I've already done what I'm supposed to according to this in another thread, lol;
GrimJack;100093 said:
Usually noise in the power steering means low fluid or air in the lines. Check both of those, then check that the proportional steering plug is connected, then check the belt, then consider replacing the pump. Last step is to replace the rack.

Replaced pump, same damn thing... no steering and pump makes noise as if low on fluid.
Cleaned out resevour (it was pretty nasty), checked fluid flow through all the lines and it gushes out the return line so I know there's no restriction in any of the lines.
Replaced rack w/ non PPS due to unavailability of PPS racks these days
SAME DAMN THING

Now here's the thing, the pump and rack are from an 88 turbo so obviously we eliminated the PPS but the same symptoms persist. I suppose its likely that the used parts are bad, but for 1- what are the odds that its exactly as bad as what was bad on this 89? And for 2- the power steering in the 88 worked perfectly until the guy wrecked the rear end of the car. As a matter of fact all he did was bend a toe rod in the back, thats it!
I've gone back thru it and checked for kinks, rechecked fluid flow its all bonzer. So WTF is left to do!? I supposed I could order up a new $300 pump and try that and a reman'ed $200 rack and see if it really is the used parts that were bad but if not then i'm out a crap load of money for parts I can return.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I have a 90 and had no trouble getting a new rack thru toyota at a pretty high cost 700 dollars but it fixed it, got new pump to not sure what you mean when ya say PPS rack or if thats different rom what I have.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
for the blue one, got one at the junkyard for $50, rebuild was $80, also got a refund on the $20 core charge..

Jose at Kaizen sent my white one's out to get rebuild, cost about $100..

just look around wrecking yards, they're usually littered with Supras..

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Wills7MGTE;1252796 said:
I have a 90 and had no trouble getting a new rack thru toyota at a pretty high cost 700 dollars but it fixed it, got new pump to not sure what you mean when ya say PPS rack or if thats different rom what I have.
That was THE FIRST thing I tried. No dice, DISCONTINUED at every Toyota. Even talked to Jeff at Champion. PPS- progressive power steering, has the electronic solenoid on the rack

RazoE;1252805 said:
for the blue one, got one at the junkyard for $50, rebuild was $80, also got a refund on the $20 core charge..

Jose at Kaizen sent my white one's out to get rebuild, cost about $100..

just look around wrecking yards, they're usually littered with Supras..
Um, I said I put used ones in it. I have 2 parts cars.

Poodles;1252828 said:
Betcha it's the dumb screen in the resivour (can't ever spell that word..)
I also said I cleaned the hell out of the screen

GrimJack;1252834 said:
Damn, I wrote that? Memory must be going, I don't recall that at all.

Just checking - it's running tranny fluid in there, not power steering fluid, right???
Yep, Castrol Multi Import Vehicle ATF. Yeah you wrote that in 2005!!!!

Sooooo to recap, not as easy as it seems. Put in a used one from a junkyard? Basically did that. I have an 88 turbo parts car I swapped the pump from my parts car AND the rack into this thing and it does the same thing NO STEERING & pump sounds like it doesnt have enough fluid in it.
Before I get people saying there's air in the system and to bleed, i've done all that, several times, I am a professional, and there is no foaming in the resevior (thanks IJ) thus indicating no air in the system. I know the guy that owned my parts car before and know he was driving it around fully operational and all good until he bit a curb with his RR tire. So unless I got horribly screwed and its PS components went bad after a month of sitting i'm sh!t out of ideas except for a NEW pump to start and then possibly REMAN non PPS rack. We can retrofit NON PPS racks into cars with PPS right? Only difference is the power assist will be different, correct?

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
How old is the high pressure ps line? I think your problem is fluid aeration (not foaming) caused by a leaky power steering hose or connection, which is allowing air to mix with the ps fluid. Aeration causes the fluid to compress, the pump is working hard but can't build sufficient pressure, so you get the noise and no power assist. Make sure the lines and connections are leak free. Change the ps fluid with brand new Dextron ATF. Purge the lines per the tsrm, and you should be good to go. My $0.02.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My car is doing this exact same thing. I've replaced the rack with a newly rebuilt one (supposedly) and I've also replaced the pump with another used one. I have no power steering. I was hoping to check a few things out this weekend. Hopefully there is something on here someone can suggest also.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
IJ.;1252851 said:
Why thank me YOU just got it wrong again :D
Oh yeah, theres an R in Reservoir I forgot. We're just a bunch of Reservoir Dogs...

suprahero;1252904 said:
My car is doing this exact same thing. I've replaced the rack with a newly rebuilt one (supposedly) and I've also replaced the pump with another used one. I have no power steering. I was hoping to check a few things out this weekend. Hopefully there is something on here someone can suggest also.
I take it yours is turbo too right? PPS? The rack you put in is a PPS rack or no? If you put a new reman in and nothing, my idea of a new pump isnt looking good

jetjock;1252915 said:
There is no T in Dexron ;)
I gess non uv us kan spelll

4U2QUIK;1252918 said:
My car is doing the exact same thing too. I've replaced the pump, the rack 2x, and I've even tried a different resevior. I even replaced all of the lines including the high pressure line with the kit from driftmotion.
what gives?
WTF are all Supras PS systems gonna just stop working one day and be completely useless???

I'm pretty sure none of the lines are leaking as well (the aeration bit) but it is kinda hard to tell because each time I do something, I get PS jizz all over the place. Then gotta spray it down with brake clean and blow off w/ air so its dry and clean and I havent seen anything coming off, but there's other leaks on the car and you can never get anything 100% clean. Even if there was aeration, there would be some PS assist, this is COMPLETELY gone.

Now to bring up a possible issue. Us guys with the PPS rack and pump, if we switch to a NON PPS rack and keep the PPS PULLEY on that pump, will that diminish the power assist? I wouldnt think so since the smaller pulley is used to generate more pressure so we would just sort of have MORE power steering all the time, correct? IJ, Jeff Lange, any other geniuses point out something I'm failing to see?

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
jetjock;1252940 said:
Based on the dizzy wiring problem (easily solved using the info originally posted in that thread) and now this I gess some uv us prufesunals kant work on cars either...
Not so much. I have that diagram, it indicates the wires from the dizzy going to the connector and ECU all being the same color when the wires coming out of the dizzy BEFORE the connector ARENT the same colors.
I got plenty of turbo cars here, but thats different, how am I supposed to reference something w/o a reference? lol

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Smaller pulley= more RPM=More flow

Got Boost-A leak in the pressure side wont cause aeration, It will just leak.

grimsta-Did you check the suction line? Since you said theres no aeration/foaming, i wouldn't think theres a hole in it, but a restriction maybe, collapsing on the inside, did you check the flow on the larger suction line too? If its a nice constant whine your pump is more than likely cavitating.

For everyone whos got this problem-How cold is it where you are???? Cold wheather will cause that whine(cavitation) but there aint much you can do about it, and it should go away after a few minutes.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You should have SOME foaming or there is something wrong....

Do it exactly as the TSRM states.

I bet the hose from the res. (fuck it, I'm shortening that word) to the pump has a kink in it (as is common if the hose has been replaced). Can also be a kinked hardline...