Clutch time.... Multi disk clutchs

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Ok.... Since the strapped clutchs blow when you rev past stock revlimit or make any power....

I'm looking for options

Spec -1600 $ good price but horror stories galore and still use straps.
RPS - Don't make shit for the mk3 in strapless
Carbonetics - will survive the rescission if i buy the clutch because of the extreme cost.
Tilton - Might as well buy a house

So real only options are OS giken and Exeddy....

Unless people have other ides? I'm tried of blowing the strap son my RPS3200

It's the added weight of the diaphram, over revving that are compounding the clutches problems to make it fail...

What are the high power guys using out there? I'm about ready to put in my spare Aristo Auto trans and be done with it, but I HATE auto unless it's for a DD.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Carbonetics, I have a friend that ran a Twin on his car and it was a dream to drive and held the power. He did not drag race it a lot though so I have no idea how it will hold up to that.

p.s. all the big guys man up and buy Tilton's.......do it do it. :icon_razz

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
straps are the leaf springs that are on the side of the clutch there are 3 sets of 3 usually I had another added so I had 4 sets of 3 but still broke for the second time.

This time there was no mis shift, (first time they broke it was) however i bounced rev limit and that ended the clutch's life..

I refuse to spend 5k for a clutch, even 3K I won't spend i've been thinking of just moving the whole setup to the mk4....

I can get a OS triple for the mk4 for 600$

Even if i get the clutch for the mk3 I'll need to get a drive shaft next then a diff.

it's a endless money pit the mk3... no seriously!

I love the car but fuck it's gotta end somewhere.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Zazzn;1306900 said:
Ok.... Since the strapped clutchs blow when you rev past stock revlimit or make any power....

I'm looking for options

Spec -1600 $ good price but horror stories galore and still use straps.
RPS - Don't make shit for the mk3 in strapless
Carbonetics - will survive the rescission if i buy the clutch because of the extreme cost.
Tilton - Might as well buy a house

Gotta pay to play. You could buy one of these for that money though. :D

Duane

greatview.jpg

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
I feel your pain... I just dished $1500 on the spec POS I will let you know how it holds up.. Just started breaking it in....

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
upgradedsupra;1307075 said:
Gotta pay to play. You could buy one of these for that money though. :D

Duane

greatview.jpg

At least the weather's nice!!

Any other options any one can think of?

I'm even up for single disc options that can hold.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Zazzn;1308801 said:
At least the weather's nice!!

Any other options any one can think of?

I'm even up for single disc options that can hold.

How about a used oem clutch with 100K on it, ill send it to you for free!

No I am kidding. I have great luck with clutch with Exedy clutches though, but I have never owned a triple disk.

Last edited:

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Doesn't the carbon carbon from RPS have a lot of complaints from the mk4 guys though?
I'm planning to just get the ACT extreme PP with an Act 6-puck, hopefully it will hold whatever I throw at it.
Though if I do end up running 800+hp I don't think it's going to last long...

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Well the problem with the ACT is it has straps which will have the same problem as my RPS>

THe RPS since the strapless design has made things much better.

The strapped version kept breaking

I was going to investigate the ACT since it seems no one has broken them if that's the case, I'd be SOOOO happy to save 3k because that's what it's going to cost me!!

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Did you have problems with the RPS from hitting the rev limiter every time? Apparently the straps break during highspeed accel/decel operations. Ex. Letting off after a dyno run or 1/4 run without clutching in, I'm assuming that hitting the rev limiter is the same sort of interaction.
I'm in the same situation so I'm hoping the ACT clutch will work, but I can't seem to find that many people using it. Only other choice would be the HPF clutches which seem to be in the mid range between the top single clutchs and multi-disk setups.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
The best option cost-wise for us out there might be the HPF feramic. I Know a guy who was running high 9's with the HPF feramic on his MK4. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but still impressive.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I'm running an ACT Xtreme PP, and their street disc. I'm not 100% sure but I think I read that they are a 2600lb plate. With a 6 puck I think they are good to 650 tq. I may throw in a HPF bronze disc with my current PP if I need more holding capacity later on. My street disc is as smoooooth as stock, and the bronze discs are not perfect, but one of the smoothest 6-pucks out there.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
Your forgetting one of the biggest players in the racing clutch industry ...
I have had a Clutch Masters in my car for two years now with now problems ..
call them!!

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
ACT, cltuch masters, RPS all use the same gay strap design which doesn't like higher then stock revs and doesn't like decel/letting off the clutch on the dyno.

I'm trying to avoid that mess all together, but it looks like RPS is the only real ones we seem to ehar about failing.. I know a guy that had a local shop do a dual diaphram and it failed on the straps as well.

But other then that I don't know.

RPS doesn't make a Carbon carbon that bolts the R154.. So that's not an option.. I'm looking at the OS giken only now.. i guess.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
It's because I just don't want to put more in the mk3 anymore... I have a bad feeling after teh clutch it will be the driveshaft, then the diff, then the transmision for the 6th time.

I've been debating putting everything in my mk4 and just moving the stock twins to the mk3 and making it a crusier since it's a targa and the mk4 is a 6spd RZ hard top