Clutch time.... Multi disk clutchs

Hellstrom

Mar 7, 2009
gothenburg
Zazzn;1337324 said:
hellstorm pics or ban ;)

IJ more info!

What parts was it cheaper in the end to do it that way? I heard my friend said he hated the rattling on his mk4... My buddy has a twin disc OS and there is no rattle at all?

Hehe well pics will come, but for now the pics are in my buddy`s camera and he will be mailing em to me. Dunno about the rattle but mine dont rattle atleast. there is however a completly diffrent noise when u clutch. you can hear the discs when the pressure is realeased from em. other than that iam satisfyied. tho its not like ive been driving it for any significant time. but it seems to work great ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Eric: Last one I did was based on an NA ACT street/strip clutch but not really "cheaper" once you factor in the machine time to make the floater from scratch.

But it was close to stock pedal pressure and silent and never ever slipped no matter what I did to it. (did chatter a little in reverse though but that was the bonded discs with no marcel springs)

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
The guys that complain about rattling the most are mk4 owners once they switch from the stock dual mass flywheel. It's the v160 input shaft when in neutral, clutch engaged. Others complain about floater plates rattling with the clutch disengaged, but how often do you sit there with your foot on the clutch?

I have a single plate RPS carbon carbon for the R154. I love it. I had the clutch disc updated but still have the original pressure plate with straps.

What really pisses me off is that there is very little difference between the Supra R154 and V160 clutches besides the obvious and non-issue disc hub (diff splines). The OE v160 cover is (from memory) <1/8th inch larger diameter. About the only thing I didn't measure was the flywheel ring gear. If that's the same we're really talking just a different bolt pattern for the 7M crankshaft to make the mk4 clutch fit. We could always slot the starter hole some.

Eric, do you have a V160 and R154 clutch/flywheel set that you could get accurate measurements from? I have a R154 set in a box and a spare R154 and 7M block. A good friend nearby with a mk4TT has a spare clutch set, V160, and spare 2JZ block so I could put this info together too.

What are the mk4 n/a-T guys that swap in R154's doing?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
The thought comes to mind,
what is the cost of constantly blowing the cheap ones
(including having to pull the tranny every time one lets go),
opposed to just buying an OS in the first place ?

Zazzn,
I have a used OS 7M flywheel, that has damage to the starter gear.
It could be machined off, and replaced with an OEM gear.

I was saving it, hoping to find a cheap OS assembly from another car, and transfering the parts over.
But I have bought a Quarter Master twin plate set-up instead,
and am going to modify a 7M billet flywheel to hold it.
So I have no use for the OS 7M.

I also have the OS push/pull conversion throw-out assembly for the 7M/R154.

PM me if your interrested in them.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Eric,

I have been driving with my Sprung OS twin for about a week now and I love it. It does rattle a bit, but its not too bad, only when the clutch is depressed. It takes some getting used to, and the pedal feel is stiff, almost like the RPS 3200. I just dragged last weekend and made 7 passes and it worked flawlessly, it even slips nice for launching. I reccomend it. I think Jose at Kazien still has one FS.