Clutch time.... Multi disk clutchs

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
OS Giken's are awesome, well, mine is... I'm very happy with it... it's a twin, and has been rebuilt a couple of times, once before I got the car and once while I've had it.... whoever did it before i got the car, they apparently sent it off to be done and it came back with some solid centre 5 puck disks, which turned out to be a good deal when it was time for me to get it rebuilt, cos we just replaced the pucks with some cerametallic jobbies the clutch builder had on the shelf... which means less stuff to buy from your local OS dealer when you need to rebuild...

apparently the HKS and ORC deals work really well as well.... but i've not used either.... HKS is reputed to be a bit more streetable than the OS, and appaently a bit cheaper to rebuild too...

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Zazzn;1312932 said:
It's because I just don't want to put more in the mk3 anymore... I have a bad feeling after teh clutch it will be the driveshaft, then the diff, then the transmision for the 6th time.

I've been debating putting everything in my mk4 and just moving the stock twins to the mk3 and making it a crusier since it's a targa and the mk4 is a 6spd RZ hard top

Stop trying to build the mkiii into a mkiv and just put the parts on the mkiv.

You'll have more fun with a stock twin 2j mkiii cruising around then trying to race a 700hp mkiii breaking parts every weekend.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
tissimo;1313017 said:

You'll have more fun with a stock twin 2j mkiii cruising around then trying to race a 700hp mkiii breaking parts every weekend.

Tissimo, I agree with you 100% that's what I've been thinking of doing but if I do that, it will be thousands more to get evertying over on the mk4, and another year of not drving the car.

I think it will happen, I think i'm just going to fix the straps on teh clutch and detune it so when it comes near redline the aem pulls a shit load of timing to kill the power. I picked up a used Exeddy clutch for 250$! so we'll see how that works out (for the mk4)

tekdeus;1313095 said:
I encourage you to stick with the Mk3! I hope to soon be at your power level and want to know what parts to buy :D
mk3 has no problem making power, it's drving it with all the power... The only way it can take that stress is if it's auto. Which could be another option but would kill all the fun of the car.

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
tissimo;1313017 said:

Oh so so true... =) two transmisions, rear end, and $1500 clutch later.... but its fun as hell when they run like they are supoused to...

BTW from what I have heard with the strap issues they have been single disk clutches. not multiplate. so far so good on the spec clutch.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
2JZ_MA70;1314020 said:
Oh so so true... =) two transmisions, rear end, and $1500 clutch later.... but its fun as hell when they run like they are supoused to...

:rofl:
My friend is on his 2nd R154, already had to swap his rear end for a new one, and is now picking up a better driveshaft so it can put the power to the ground.

OS Giken Quad Disc...breaking every part of a 20 year old MKIII that you never thought you'd have to replace. :biglaugh:

Jeff

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
your are never going to find a clutch with no straps for the mk3 that is stock

time to change you fly wheel and clutch combo to some thing els

or simply don't power shift

i have know many people to beat on there cars and never have this issue

why not call custom clutch shop tell them you have 6 strap or 8 straps or what ever and see what they will do for you

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Nash I don't powershift ever....

I'm not even sure why it broke this time...

But I did get them to put an extra strap on they said they could only put 4.

*sigh*

I think i'm going to break down and get the OS GIken or the HKS GD

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Tilton if you can find a flywheel for the mk3. They used to make a full kit and I think you can still buy a clutch kit, but I know they quit making the needed flywheel some time ago.

Hellstrom

Mar 7, 2009
gothenburg
Hi!

Afterreading all this issue around the PP on the MK3 iam kinda getting happy again. ive failed 2 PP in 3 fucking days... i had no knowledge regarding that it would not withstand the RPM (i rev 7500 rpm). Well all i can say now. if you are a handyman and dont have a problem to get dirty. Then do as iam going to. ill be using a 3 disc Tilton clutch i will modify the flyweel for it and ill even use a pushing cluch cylinder. iam kinda happy to see that iam not alone. if you decide to use somthing like Tilton it wont cost that much. i meen ive crashed both the RPS MAX 3200lb PP and the ACT Extreme PP in 3 days. thats around (here in sweden 1800dollars) a tilton is ALOT more affordable cluch to be honest!

Regards

Hellström

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Tilton is 5000$!

The OS Giken is about 2000$

I spend 0, my friend had another 3200LB PP and I tossed it in... I really like my Fermaic disc it's so slipable and holds amazingly well. I'm just VERY cautious now to rev pass 7k and to bounce rev limit. I basically don't hammer it and hold it in 2nd anymore... Not until i can afford on of the solutions above.

Hellstrom

Mar 7, 2009
gothenburg
Zazzn;1328144 said:
Tilton is 5000$!

The OS Giken is about 2000$

I spend 0, my friend had another 3200LB PP and I tossed it in... I really like my Fermaic disc it's so slipable and holds amazingly well. I'm just VERY cautious now to rev pass 7k and to bounce rev limit. I basically don't hammer it and hold it in 2nd anymore... Not until i can afford on of the solutions above.

Well ill get my tilton clutch for around 1000 dollars. but then i buy a used PP that comes of a nascar thats about 250 dollar then i buy a set of discs thats another 250 dollars and then i buy slave cylinder for somthing like 200dollars rest is custom made by myself. Modefying the flyweel. there u go ;) maybe its 5k if u buy it all bolt on ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
When you mention the ACT exteme Eric, what exactly did you tear up on them? Are you talking about the ACT extreme single disc, six puck clutch disc? That's what I've been using for the past two years with no problems other than wearing them out. I haven't broke one and I rev to 7400rpm on a regular basis. I'm not making the power you're making and that's probably the difference, but I don't know what straps you're talking about breaking. Please explain. Thanks.

Hellstrom

Mar 7, 2009
gothenburg
suprahero;1336388 said:
When you mention the ACT exteme Eric, what exactly did you tear up on them? Are you talking about the ACT extreme single disc, six puck clutch disc? That's what I've been using for the past two years with no problems other than wearing them out. I haven't broke one and I rev to 7400rpm on a regular basis. I'm not making the power you're making and that's probably the difference, but I don't know what straps you're talking about breaking. Please explain. Thanks.

Well i can try to explain since ive had this failure myself. Well the metal straps that connect the inner part of the Presureplate with the outerpart of the Pressureplate. they simply break down, My theory is that either the outerring is to heavy so when u rev around 7k-7.5k and then change gear and you will land on somthing like 4.5k rpm the outering simply is to heavy and the metal straps just brake off. Atleast thats what happand to me.

Regarding the stock flywheel i modify it for fitting the tilton clutch and add (dont know what they call it in english, but on nascars i belive they dont use a flywheel just a metalplate?) anyways you take that metal plate and fit it into the flywheel and then you are half way there then u need to find a suited slave cylinder and after that its piece of cake ;) My tilton just got ready today and it feels really great. sure its harsh but mine atleast dont rattle :)

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
hellstorm pics or ban ;)

IJ more info!

What parts was it cheaper in the end to do it that way? I heard my friend said he hated the rattling on his mk4... My buddy has a twin disc OS and there is no rattle at all?