Clear bubble type side repeater lenses......

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
Morning/evening all,

Some of you will remember, a few years back I made a batch of these.....

p1861693_1.jpg

p1861693_2.jpg

I've recently had a couple requests for these but would need to make new mold for the job. Anybody else here interested? Price would be £25 GBP/pair + £5 to cover standard Air Mail and PayPal charges

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
$47.23

Paypal will automatically convert currency at the current exchange rate for you.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looks nice and all, but I would suspect you would have to change the bulb to a yellow hue to avoid headaches with areas that require inspections, correct?

Even if that is the case, it can't be that hard or expensive to do so... If you're planning to start a group buy, I would suggest you go through the proper channels (check the GB section) if you want to go that route. :)

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
Hi te72,

Amber bulbs would indeed be required for most areas to be compliant.

Apologies if I've contravened the rules, I thought I'd previously proven my credentials back as far as 2006 - but that was a long time ago

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...CONVERSION.......&highlight=clear+turn+lights

I'll happily fill in the GB form as requested, although I'm not actually offering one as such, I am offering to custom hand cast these items to order.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hmm, I'm not really sure how something like this would be handled then. I know we have a couple other similar threads for other items though, I'll bring it to the staff's attention, and we can go from there. :)

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I have the last set he made, but they crusted over after years in the elements. How much for just 1? ($20ish?)

Just one because I have a spare:D

These are SUPER easy to install on USDM flat markers. Just hit the originals with a butter knife to break off the plastic, and silicone these on.

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
In the meantime, here's the rear conversion I did for an owner here - in fact the only ones in the U.S. Unfortunately I believe the car has since been broken....I wonder who's wearing these super rare items now?

p1862063_1.jpg

p1862063_2.jpg

and this is what they looked like before.......

p1862063_3.jpg

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
JDMMA70;1862082 said:
Details on taillights

What d'you want to know?:icon_bigg

Basically, I get some old units....

p1862174_1.jpg

and bake them in the oven....

p1862174_2.jpg

to separate the internal components.....

p1862174_3.jpg

some of which I chrome spray after thorough wash 'n polish...

p1862174_4.jpg

I then make an exact replicas of the amber insert lenses...

p1862174_5.jpg

Then reassemble and polish the outer cover again..

p1862174_6.jpg

Simples :biglaugh:

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
te72;1862252 said:
Ever done any LED setups Wolfie?

No - but with the units apart(which is the tricky part) it would relatively easy to design your own setup. The hardest thing would be getting an agreement on what design and configuration most people liked.

Good to see you posting again Wolfie. You do provide a very fine product. Thanks again and I do still owe you a pic of the bubble markers installed on my car!

Cheers Fred, pics for my gallery always appreciated

Will you make the bubble sides in amber too? I'd think those will sell as i'd buy a set.

Hmmmm........confused.........

p1862441_1.jpg

amber bubbles are standard fitment on JDM /Euro models and I would have thought available from your dealer. I'm pretty sure we can still get the flat USDM ones over here.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I've heard they're still available. But not really sure. Maybe i'll search for parts numbers. I'd totally buy your set of clear sides but I don't have the clear corners and they wouldn't look too well with the Euro corners i have...

Unless someone has pics of Euro corners + clear side markers.

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
how much for a set of clear inserts for the 88 taillights? what do you use to reseal the cover back on? what temp and how much time do you leave it in the oven to bake? these are awsome

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
mlddjb;1862456 said:
how much for a set of clear inserts for the 88 taillights? what do you use to reseal the cover back on? what temp and how much time do you leave it in the oven to bake? these are awsome

Not sure if I've still got the molds - it's about 4 years since I made the last pair. May need to remake them if there was enough interest.

Price £69 GBP/pair + shipping/PayPal(guess about £7.50)

You need to know how how they're put together before you can take them apart

Before the oven stage, you need to remove the 6 blind headed screws through the back of the casing into the front cover(they're close to 6 bolts holding the unit onto the car.

I use a Dremel with a router bit to ream away enough plastic to just expose the head of the little screws. Then I apply the tip of a soldering iron for 20 secs or so then whip them out with a fine nose pliers.

With them all out you can proceed to oven. Electric with fan and element at rear, use oven mitts or similar to make sure unit doesn't touch oven shelves or walls.

100 deg C for about 5-10 minutes should allow the cover to be pryed off. Pressing through the reverse light apeture is a good place to start. May need to reheat a couple of times.

I generally find you can reuse the original sealant or you can scrape it all out while warm and use a bead of clear silicone