Classic sings of heatercore gone bad?

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Hey all,

Well I've finally had the mk3 running somewhat stable with the clutch issue... Now I took the car for a spin and the car got really close to overheating when I saw some smoke come though the air vents.

Not normal but this is what happened when my rad blew in the aristo so I though it was because the car got really close to overheating because possibly the fans weren't working.

Anyways, i noticed a little liquid on the AEM, and wiped it off but never saw anything again.

I just realized tonight the passenger side carpet is wet with coolant,

Anyways, if the clams to the heatercore arn't very tight or the hoses are all mangled (soft brass) do you think it could be coming out of the hose and in to the cabin though the little free space in the firewall?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
When I had a leaking heater core the inside of my windshield kept getting this haze on it. I would clean it and the next day it had a haze again. Fixed the heater core problem and never had the haze again.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My guess is it's split the seam in the top tank of the heater core it's very common.

hcore02.jpg

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I just changed my core as it was leaking towards the bottom right.

Last summer as I drove down I-84 in Boise, I'd get a really nice cool mist that came out the vents into the car with the a/c on. I had to roll my windows down as I felt like
Jeff Spicoli: "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine" coming out of the '70s van after a large hit.....kinda dangerous and strange to other drivers.

cwd

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I had coolant leaking down onto my foot from the drivers side, the brass pipe i think its leaking from, is that part of the heater core or can i just buy that brass pipe? It has stopped now with a little bit of rad. stop leak but i want to fix it right

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
When you replace it, be sure to get two new o-rings for the extension pipes.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
yeah I'm going to order new brass pipes too them stupid things always crush....

Thanks guys, it's bypassed but as you know being in canada, I need heat...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1344104 said:
I machined up an Aluminium sleeve to stop the pipes crushing, simple but effective.

I assume you mean for the inside of the pipes? That's pretty cool. :)