Choices... Choices..

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Here is my problem.

In a nutshell, I've found I want a new "project car." LOL (2003 Audi RS6)

My current project car is my 88 Supra Turbo. It's been a great car, and I've owned it for about 13 years now.. But, I have been tempted by the dark side, the side of AWD and power... Ultimate power is really only ultimate when you can lay it down, and AWD does that so very, very nicely...

Enter the problem. Money! LOL Yes, it's the problem for everyone, especially right now, with our so very sucky economy. (And that's the reason I have such a great opportunity to buy the RS6.. they are falling in value like stones.)

I've spent the money on the Supra, that would buy the RS6 at today's prices easy.. But I also know the reality that my 88Turbo is worth a fraction of what the parts are..

So, choices... to sell, or to part out, or to just be satisfied with what I have? LOL (I have a nice A8 with 300hp.. but it was soooo much fun to drive that RS6 yesterday with 450hp.. and boost... Oh yes, boost on a fast sedan.. what a F'n kick in the pants it is.. )

Did a few sub 5 second 0-60 pulls from stop lights.. (In light snow, on wet roads no less... Good thing the Boulder PD was nowhere to be found.) It's like driving my A8 on roids.. I've also been looking at selling the A8 for a slightly newer S8 for 60hp more.. but Dang, 150hp more, with turbo's is more my way of thinking..

And there are some pretty simple ways to make this a 500hp+ beasty.. (As if 450hp with AWD is not beasty enough..) LOL

Choices.... Dang they suck sometimes. (I really have loved my Supra.. but I'm really thinking of selling it.. Parts or whole? That is the question.)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You'll get much more parting it out and the shell will actually be worth something with today's scrap prices ;)
(that's if no one buys it as a roller for a project.)

mmm awd goodness!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
How much is insurance gonna go up with the new car? How much hp can the awd handle...how much will it cost to beef up the drivetrain...how easy is it to work on...how expensive are parts....

If cost isn't a factor then I say sell the poopra...but you'll not find many cars that can take a beating like a supra for the price..

Have fun!

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Yep, IJ, I should never have taken the RS6 for a test drive.. It's like a "Supra-A8" if that makes sense.

The sales guy was supprised when I commented on the lag.. Says he's never heard anyone talk about lag on a RS6 before.. LOL There is a very tiny amount of lag between when you toe into the throttle, and when the thrust starts, but I think it's a good thing.. Sort of smooths out the power delivery.. Next thing you know, your pasted to the seat back, and the car is going 90mph in a 25mph zone.. LOL

The Supra is that way, and perhaps even slightly more on dry pavement, and the right road.. But this was in snow, on wet roads.. It is INSANE! :) Brakes on that RS6 stock are nothing to worry about either.. 4 piston Brembo's with large calipers up front, and plently of caliper/rotor in the back. (There are upgrades to the rear.. and front... I've already looked into this..) LOL

I've decided to hold off on any choice untill after the new year. If I still can't stand it after then, I will most likely do something rash, and buy a RS6. (Not the one I drove.. I want one with the Solar Sunroof, and rear power sun shade.. LOL) Also there are a few around with re-flashed ECU's and custom exhausts making 500+hp.. So if possible, get one that was just serviced, and has some mods from an older, responsible owner.. (Dream big right?) LOL

One down side is the timing belt change about every 40k. (Due to the engine that runs so hot, according to the owners/Audi... ) Time for some thermal coatings.. Buhahahaha! Ultimate Power! LOL

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
On the heat side, I'm seeing most owners of these cars have someone else do the upgrades.

They like the shiny, polished exhaust pipes..

I'm much more pratical.. Will thermal coat, and wrap anything that is a heat source.. will vent the F'n hood if needed to cool it down better.. Add transmission and oil cooler etc.

The 40k belt issue is not a good thing.. And transmissions are an issue on the modded cars, and even some stock ones. (It's a 5 speed auto, and like any auto, if the fluid is burned, it dies.)

Of course, there are upgrades.. LOL

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
What you talkn' bout IJ!? Scrap metal is worth next to nothing these days - Just before the economic down scrap dealers were offering £150 per tonne for steel, now you'd be lucky to get £30, with some dealers offering as little as £5 if you can get them to pay! China simply ain't buying anymore!

Anyway, back on topic

I'd say sell the thing as a whole. A lot less ballache stripping the car, advertising the parts on the net, dealing with time wasters, packing them up, shipping, etc. Also worth remembering that you might struggle to move any high price items due to it being around Christmas time and the economy not being what it once was - Everyone is looking for a bargain these days!

My advice would be to stick the Supra up complete at a fair price, sell it if you get interest, or keep it until the financial situation picks up a tad. Yes, the prices of the RS6 might go up, but there is no guarantee that prices might not go up once you've parted out the Supra. You might as well make life easier for yourself if you are going to struggle either way.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I don't want to see you part/sell the supra because I know how much you put into it over and over again, but if you do part it, I may be in the position to pick up a few main pieces as I start to put mine back together.

Kevin

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
These guys bring up a very good point - I'm not clued up on the spec of your car or the price of RS6s over there, but surely selling the Supra isn't going to make a dent of the purchase price of the RS6?

You might as well go the mildly modded DD route on the RS6 as a daily and keep the Supra as an out and out toy

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
Quick, but more of a barge even than the Supra (over 2 ton) and I bet maintenance is high, keep the Supra

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ah, but it would be a perfect world to keep both a Supra and the RS6, but alas, there is a economic reality world.. LOL

I have currently a very nice 98 A8 that runs great, but is reaching that mileage point where things like half shaft boots tear, and other "normal" maint. stuff on a AWD car. (It is AWD, has a very stout 300hp 4.2 V8 and 5 speed auto trans, the solar sun roof, and alcantera trim with leather seats.. not a bad car by any means. Also worth fixing the small stuff that comes with owning a car with 134k on the odom..)

The Supra is built on so many levels, and I still love the style and quality of the build. (Both from Toyota, and what I've done.) Reality is I have over 25k in this car easy. Not counting labor.

The RS6 is just under 25k, and wholesale right now they are going for slightly less, but it totally depends on the condition and what's been done maint. wise to the car. (As I noted, the timing belt reccomended service is every 40k... and it's not an easy job, you have to remove the core support/bumper etc. to do it.) Also the transmissions are like the one in my A8, fickle if you do not change the fluid out about every 40k. If that's been done, the car is pretty reliable. If not, the transmission is not cheap at all.

Just like every car, as they age, certain things tend to show up as failures.. Sensors, and belts etc. Every car is slightly different. (With the 7MGTE, it is the stock HG, and if the oil was not change regularly, sometimes the turbo. With the Audi's, it is the transmissions, and some electrical switches.)

I also realize the RS6 is a heavy car.. LOL It's not that way when your behind the wheel however.. LOL These things are dang fast in the real world of not perfect roads, and weather. (It is for that reason, If I sell the A8, I'd replace it with the RS6, or more likely an S8 at the moment.)

As I said though, I'm going to wait and see how I feel about it going into the new year, and see what happens to the prices on these cars in that time as well. (Just a few months ago, you could not find one under 30k in good shape, now they are 25k or less in many places.. and the guys asking over 30k are either going to sit on them for a very long time, or dump them at a loss as the economy goes down the toilet.)

I really don't need another fast toy.. Supra.. FZ1... A8... Why do I really need more speed? LOL

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, when the economy goes down, most people want to scrimp and save, but if you've got the means to buy, now is the time to do it for sure. Of course, now is not the time to sell... so unless you have the means to keep them all, I'd probably pass.

Audi parts are going to be more money than Toyota parts, but I'm sure you already know that.

Keep in mind that you're considering buying someone else's unknown problems, while with the Supra, you've been over it so much that you know exactly what you're facing.

If you decide to sell, offer it whole first, for a price that won't make you shake your head in shame for the rest of your life. Wait a month or so, then part it if required - and I hate to say it, but it will probably be required. Remember Grant's car? Nobody would buy it whole, despite the fact that he was selling it at a SMOKING discount.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A month is far too short to have something on the market. Unless you're hurting for the money (which this isn't a "I have to sell the car to pay rent" situation), stick to your price and a buyer will be found.

Personally I wouldn't sell the Supra, as I'm willing to put money on it having a far longer MTBF than a used Audi...