Car alarm goes off randomly when I unlock the door.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Just as the title says. It doesn't happen often, it's very random. I will unlock the door, open the door, and then the alarm goes off. Previous owner said it will happen and it's happening. What could be causing this? I don't think it's weather related. It hasn't done it in the rain nor cold, so temperature and humidity isn't affecting the wires.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
SupraMario;1586306 said:
It is the supra gods, you must do the supra alarm dance to get it to stop.

Does this involve any sort of nudity and/or sacrificial goat?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
IJ.;1586313 said:
If it does remember, NO PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :runaway:

Pics will be provided with vivid detail.

So, how about we actually solve this problem, because it's embarrassing to have my alarm go off in front of people. I need heads turning when the car is running, not when I'm opening the door.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Greek;1586321 said:
Pics will be provided with vivid detail.

So, how about we actually solve this problem, because it's embarrassing to have my alarm go off in front of people. I need heads turning when the car is running, not when I'm opening the door.

I WILL Ban you ;)

Is this the factory alarm?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If its the factory alarm pull the door panel off and see if the plug that goes over behind the key cylinder is still attached. If i unlocked my car from the passenger side either before or after i open the door it would go off.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
IJ.;1586324 said:
I WILL Ban you ;)

Is this the factory alarm?
Yes, factory alarm.

And don't ban me. I was just giving the Supra God his goat. :(
JDMMA70;1586325 said:
If its the factory alarm pull the door panel off and see if the plug that goes over behind the key cylinder is still attached. If i unlocked my car from the passenger side either before or after i open the door it would go off.
I'll take the panel off when I have some time. Anything else to try while I work on it?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The cause of this almost always the cancel switch on the lock cylinder. It must bring the cancel input to ground *before* the switch in the solenoid/latch brings the trigger input to ground. And fwiw the actual opening of the door has nothing to do with triggering the alarm eg; the jamb switches are not connected to the system. It's one of the things that makes the factory alarm a halfway decent design.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Mine hasn't done this in a while, but if you try to unlock the door again quickly does it turn it back off? That's all I have to do when it happens. I have two keys and with my other key this never happens.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
There is a sensor in the back of the key cylinder, this has a center that turns. When you turn your key it will turn the cylinder and should turn you alarm off. If you problem only happens sometimes I would be led to believe the contacts in that switch are bad or the mounting points are worn out. Unplug the switch and test it with an ohm meter, turn the key and see when you get continuity. If you turn it like normal and you have connection check elsewhere, if you turn it and it either does not get continuity or it only gets it when the key is at the very end of the rotation the switch is bad. Mine would have the problem if I unlocked my door with the key in one hand and pulled the handle up just as I unlocked it with the other the alarm would set, it seems like it takes a second to shut the alarm system down.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
It's definitely the stock alarm. After years the sensors wear out and all hell breaks loose. I was embarassed to drive the 86.5 due to this issue. You can bypass the stock alarm by grounding the Blue and orange wire on the relay. Then get an aftermarket alarm with remote door locks, and you're good to go, I did it and I haven't had a problem since..

Funny little story, last year when I went to get my xB, I drove the '92 to the dealer. They drooled over it and tried to get me to trade it in atleast 4 times. Well I said no, and got on with the paper work on the xB. My girl got in the xB, and began to drive off, I told her I'd follow her in the '92. So I press my little button on my aftermarket remote, and for the first time ever, the damn stock alarm went off..! I didn't know how to react at first, so I jumped in and put the key in the ignition. It turned off the alarm, but the starter was disabled. So I had to get out, lock the door, then unlock, looking like an idiot the whole time..!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I won't even react anymore, I've pumped gas with it just going off and everyone staring at me...The stock alarm is like that problem you want to fix but it isn't causing you any trouble so you ignore it LOL.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
It's done it three times in three days. Now I'm going to slit this bitch's throat. Time to get mended, cunt bag!

How do I take off the door panel? Where are all of the screws located?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
You have to pop off the door pull covers, there are two screws there...
then take off the speaker grille, and remove the two screws holding on the door pull..
remove the door lock bezels (or if your car is anything like 99% of supras out there, it should have already fallen off) by tugging on them...
in the door handle "cup" is a single screw, remove that and remove the cup..
on the bottom of the door, there should be about 5 screws, and on the inner side, on the panel that touches the dash, there should be 2 more screws with screw caps, pop them off and remove..
after that, double check and make sure everything is loose, and pull and lift from the outer edge going towards the front of the car, it should pop off without any fanfare..

oh, and you'll have to unplug the window switch, and probably the speaker wiring, not 100% sure (Been a while), but make sure you plug everything back in once you're done!

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Mine goes off if I unlock from the driver door but not the passenger.
I just lock my door while the turbo timer is running, doesn't arm the alarm :]
Aftermarket alarm is on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk