CajunKenny's Build Thread

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
This post is dedicated to Ryan and Ron! :biglaugh:

My oil cooler arrived today. So, with the other parts that arrived this week I'm able to get started mounting the cooler. Note the Oil Thermostat, Oil Cooler, and two 180* AN fittings.

p1507917_1.jpg

Here's the first bracket. It's secured with blue loctite! :)

p1507917_2.jpg

p1507917_3.jpg

Here's the second brace. This one will attach to one of the Intercooler Braces.
p1507917_4.jpg

p1507917_5.jpg

And here she is mounted...

p1507917_6.jpg

p1507917_7.jpg

p1507917_8.jpg

p1507917_9.jpg

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Cooler looks great ken! what are the dementions on that thing, looks pretty thick. Oh and dont worry, the sup aint going anywhere, just less presents for it for a while. Suck when you have a solid 3+K in parts sitting in your room and shop and dont have the funds necessary to finish it up and install them.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks guys! The cooler is a 16 row and the dimensions are 11x4.75x2. It does hang a little low for my liking; but, should be ok. There's a little bit more room for a wider core there; but, then you'd be fighting fitment of the fittings.

All and all, as long as a rock doesn't puncture it.....I'm happy with it. :)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Kenny, that looks great. I love the fitment. Any chance you have a pic of front from further back? I'd like to see how noticeable it is.

Thanks for the dedication! ;)

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
CajunKenny;1508046 said:
....All and all, as long as a rock doesn't puncture it....

Murphy's law always proves itself true, and in often the most inconvenient moment: If it can happen, then it will.
The stack coolers are very efficient in thermal control, but they are rather not very rugged. Unlike the Bar & Plate IC next to it, it can be easily compromised with even the smallest rock traveling at 55 mph. Unless you have some type of instrumentation to provide pressure feedback / warning, I doubt that you would even suspect that it's ruptured. So, all that said just to convince you to really consider some type of mesh screen to prevent direct impact (since it's very much exposed).

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
BlackDevilSupra;1508367 said:
Murphy's law always proves itself true, and in often the most inconvenient moment: If it can happen, then it will.
The stack coolers are very efficient in thermal control, but they are rather not very rugged. Unlike the Bar & Plate IC next to it, it can be easily compromised with even the smallest rock traveling at 55 mph. Unless you have some type of instrumentation to provide pressure feedback / warning, I doubt that you would even suspect that it's ruptured. So, all that said just to convince you to really consider some type of mesh screen to prevent direct impact (since it's very much exposed).

Well, it's in the same location as the stock one. It's hangs down a bit more. I agree with the 55 mph rock scenario; but, I figure if the stock cooler has survived for 19 years, hopefully this one will last a good while. Some sort of screen mesh is a good idea though. I'll ponder that. Anything to combat good ol Murphy is a good thing! ;)

SupraRon;1508068 said:
Kenny, that looks great. I love the fitment. Any chance you have a pic of front from further back? I'd like to see how noticeable it is.

Thanks for the dedication! ;)

Here's a pic for you Ron. Remember...this is without a lip and you can't see it. What you'll likely notice are the little neon tube brackets. The oil cooler doesn't hang any lower that my intercooler. Once a lip is in place it'll be even more protected.

p1508904_1.jpg

carter;1508557 said:
What are we gonna see next? LOL

Hopefully a vid of it running! ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Friday after work I stopped by a local Hydraulic and picked up some goodies.

p1508913_1.jpg

I then modified the stock oil cooler bracket to accommodate the oil thermostat. This worked out quite well.

p1508913_2.jpg

With the additional parts, I was able to start routing hose...

p1508913_3.jpg

p1508913_4.jpg

And here's the oil thermostat mounted with the modified stock bracket.

p1508913_5.jpg

p1508913_6.jpg

And I mis-calculated the number of 1/2" hose clamps needed so I had to stop here. Only two more hoses to attach. Woo Hoo... :)

p1508913_7.jpg

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1508904 said:
Here's a pic for you Ron. Remember...this is without a lip and you can't see it. What you'll likely notice are the little neon tube brackets. The oil cooler doesn't hang any lower that my intercooler. Once a lip is in place it'll be even more protected.

p1509027_1.jpg

Thanks Kenny. I just wanted to see how it looked compared to the stock. I think it looks great. :) Btw, what is the size of your IC? Also what is the rating of the hydraulic hose you picked up?

You're getting real close now. Can't wait to hear/see it started.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I don't know the IC dimensions. It's the Spearco style one from Driftmotion. It is small enough that the stock oil cooler doesn't have to be relocated.

The hose...yeah...it's rated for 250 PSI; but, only 190* nominal operating temp. They assured me that it'll handle more. I'm sure it will; but, at the first signs of hardening, I'm going to switch it out. We'll see...

Yeah, I'm getting close. I'm at the 1500 grit stage in polishing my valve covers. I plan on finishing that up tonight and possibly have them completely done by tomorrow.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
The oil cooler came from CX Racing. They're fairly inexpensive through them. If a guy were to be a little patient, he could find a really nice Fluidyne or Setrab in the right dimensions on ebay. At the moment.....I can't be that patient... :biglaugh:

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1509041 said:
I don't know the IC dimensions. It's the Spearco style one from Driftmotion. It is small enough that the stock oil cooler doesn't have to be relocated.

The hose...yeah...it's rated for 250 PSI; but, only 190* nominal operating temp. They assured me that it'll handle more. I'm sure it will; but, at the first signs of hardening, I'm going to switch it out. We'll see...

Yeah, I'm getting close. I'm at the 1500 grit stage in polishing my valve covers. I plan on finishing that up tonight and possibly have them completely done by tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Kenny. Keep me posted on how the hose fairs. I want to see how it holds up.

Cool. Can't wait for pics of the valve covers! ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
No, that was a chain binder that I used to level the engine. Basically, it was my "Ghetto" leveler because I'm too cheap to go buy a real one! :D

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I was lookin around ebay for an oil cooler and all that good stuff... I figure once i get the motor out i'd be a good time to get everything done that i don't wanna lay under the supra for. I got a couple parts in mind, but we'll have to see how the money comes. I might be updating my build thread sometime but i don't know... we'll have to see how things work out lol

And you should deff get the motor in there buddy i wanna see videos lol

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Just bite the bullet Ken, a leveler is one of those things that you wonder how you went without it when you do get one. Not that you will need it anytime soon now (fingers crossed)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
GC89;1510579 said:
Just bite the bullet Ken, a leveler is one of those things that you wonder how you went without it when you do get one. Not that you will need it anytime soon now (fingers crossed)

Yeah, I plan to get one when it's time to pull the engine.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Hey Carter...where have you been buddy!?!? The motor is in!! :D

Yep, I agree. I will certainly have a leveler for the next pull.

An update on my hose situation. After conferring with some of my race buddies and through recommendations here on SM, I am NOT going to run the hose I recently purchased. Tonight I am ordering some hose from Summit that is rated for 300*. That should be here by the end of the week!

Now, I try not to post too often without including a pic or two. So...here is a couple of shots of my valve covers. I am almost done polishing the tops. The sides and ribs will get painted flat black. They should turn out pretty nice!

p1510771_1.jpg

p1510771_2.jpg

Last edited: