CajunKenny's Build Thread

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
jugodegolf;1492290 said:
Looking good Kenny. We have the same clutch I do believe. Try some of the touch up paint that the stealerships sells on the scratches. From 3' in you can tell, any further away, and they are very hard to see.

Thanks George! I think I'll take your advice and touch it up.

I'm running the XTSS. Is that what you're running? If so, how do you like it and how much power are you putting to it?

arizzle;1492383 said:
Motors looking good! Now I know what my motor will look like onces its done! Hahahah

U running na or gte covers?

Thanks for the compliments. Yours is coming along nicely too!

If you're referring to the valve covers, I'm running GTE. I'm in the process of polishing them now. That's why they're not on the motor yet. ;)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Lookin' great Kenny. The engine bay looks brand new! :love:

So you decided to polish the valve covers? I don't blame you. I tried (very meticulously I might add) to paint them flat black with aluminum ribs and I'm not happy with them. As much as a PITA it is to polish them, I think it's far easier then masking and painting. Maybe it's just me!? :nono:

Anyhow, how much longer until everything is together?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, I haven't fully decided yet; but, I'm either going to just polish the tops and then paint the sides and ribs flat black, or polish them totally. I'm even toying with the idea of taking the ribs off. We'll see how motivated I get once I'm there.

Well, the clean engine bay has revealed scratches so I'm going to order some touch up paint and see if I can make that look a little better. The engine is done and ready to go back in so after a little touch up paint, she'll go back in.

If it weren't for those nasty scratches...I would've put it in last night! :)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I decided to install the new insert on to the flywheel.

p1492761_1.jpg

I had a mishap when doing this. I'm not sure who to blame it on. Aaron at Fidanza for possibly giving me the wrong information, my torque wrench for being out of spec, or me!

What happened was as I was torquing them to the 70 inlbs Aaron said to torque them to, one of the screws decided to strip at around 60 inlbs. I was then left with no choice but to attempt drilling out the screw and not damage the insert.

It was a rough road; but, was able to do just that. Here's the pics...

p1492761_2.jpg

p1492761_3.jpg

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
CajunKenny;1492761 said:
I decided to install the new insert on to the flywheel.

p1492885_1.jpg

I had a mishap when doing this. I'm not sure who to blame it on. Aaron at Fidanza for possibly giving me the wrong information, my torque wrench for being out of spec, or me!

What happened was as I was torquing them to the 70 inlbs Aaron said to torque them to, one of the screws decided to strip at around 60 inlbs. I was then left with no choice but to attempt drilling out the screw and not damage the insert.

It was a rough road; but, was able to do just that. Here's the pics...

p1492885_2.jpg

p1492885_3.jpg

Good job on the fix, that can be a gut wrenching feeling when that happens!
Maybe it was just a defective screw, especially since the others went in @ 70 lbs. alright. Better to have it come apart then rather than when under a load.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, it was a pretty nerve racking thing to have happen. A drill press and nitride bits came to the rescue! :)

Well, I had planned on dropping the engine in tonight; but, came down with a cold. :( I even had a couple buddies lined up to help.

Oh well...maybe later in the week...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Still a little under the weather; but, I had strength enough to install some Gates Push Lock Hose. :)

p1493949_1.jpg

p1493949_2.jpg

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
After Jdub's advice, I decided to go with a full flow oil system. I removed the stock oil filter housing and mounted the Permacool Relocation Flange on to the block and ordered an Oil Thermostat from Summit.

After that, I'll go to a local shop that makes custom SS hoses and have some made up.

p1494090_1.jpg

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1494090 said:
After Jdub's advice, I decided to go with a full flow oil system. I removed the stock oil filter housing and mounted the Permacool Relocation Flange on to the block and ordered an Oil Thermostat from Summit.

After that, I'll go to a local shop that makes custom SS hoses and have some made up.

p1494097_1.jpg

This is a great idea Kenny. I want to do this too, but it may have to wait. I think I remember seeing Jdub mentioning something about not using the ss hoses. Not sure. Try and find the quote for you.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'll double check on the SS hose thing. Thanks for looking out! :)

That Gates Push Lock Hose is amazing! I bought a ton of it from DM. Aaron told me that it's really good across the board for pressure and different types of oils. PS Fluid, Oil, and Transmission Fluid all holding up to 200 psi.

One thing about that stuff...it takes a MAN to put it on! :biglaugh:

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1494142 said:
I'll double check on the SS hose thing. Thanks for looking out! :)

That Gates Push Lock Hose is amazing! I bought a ton of it from DM. Aaron told me that it's really good across the board for pressure and different types of oils. PS Fluid, Oil, and Transmission Fluid all holding up to 200 psi.

One thing about that stuff...it takes a MAN to put it on! :biglaugh:

No problem. Here is the quote from jdub:

jdub;1490161 said:
Personally, I would not use stainless...too much risk of abrasion damage to the routed areas and it conducts electricity (great way to create a short). Summit sells AN push lock hose...much easier to attach fittings and can easily handle oil heat/pressure...Aeroquip push lock hose if excellent as well. As far as length, either measure to where you plan on putting the cooler (+ 20%) or buy a roll (what I did).

Link

I agree about the Gates push lock looking great. And you know it's not gonna fly off! ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
mattsplat72;1494256 said:
So who did it for you?

I guess I did open myself up to that one!! :biglaugh:

SupraRon;1494409 said:
No problem. Here is the quote from jdub:

Link

I agree about the Gates push lock looking great. And you know it's not gonna fly off! ;)

Thanks for the info! Those are good points. While I'm not too worried about an electrical short, the abrasion aspect is something to consider. It would certainly be easier because of all the Gates Push Lock I have. Hmm... :)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
And more progress today! The flywheel got mounted, the starter installed, a new slave cylinder installed, and the transmission attached to the block. We were working too fast to get pics of all that... :)

p1494941_1.jpg

p1494941_2.jpg

And then she went up in the air and over to the car.

p1494941_3.jpg

p1494941_4.jpg

Then my buddy snapped this picture as I was crawling out from aligning and mounting the transmission.

p1494941_5.jpg

And after much help from two of my buddies.......she's back in her rightful place! :D

p1494941_6.jpg

Last edited:

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
So close Kenny. Plan to get it started this weekend?

I'm so jealous of how much space you have in your garage.